Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusted mechanic tells me the leaning module in my '77 New Yorker is shot. The car will start and run, but falters and backfires when the accelerator is advanced. From what I've seen here at allpar I need to make some changes...I am not much of a mechanic. Is there a kit or source available with the needed parts and installation manual? I'm In the Colorado Front Range and would be happy to talk to someone hereabouts with some knowledge about this. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
I assume you mean the Lean Burn module which is attached to the air cleaner housing. It could be the module, but there are other issues that could come into play (like a jumped timing chain) or the carburetor.

There are two ways to repair this.
One would be to track down a replacement module which can be found on eBay sometimes or a reman from someplace like RockAuto.com.
Second would be to convert to an electronic ignition. In that case you'd need an electronic ignition kit (Mopar sells one) and a new carb that will provide a vacuum port for the vacuum advance on the new distributor. The vacuum port must be ported (no vacuum at idle, vacuum climbs as RPMs increase).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Valiant67 (my first car was a 64 Valiant). I just drove the New Yorker and it idles fine, but when I hit the throttle she misses and stutters...does this bad at speed on the road, also. Forgot to mention one of the advanced diagnostic techniques used was to smack the box next to the air filter, which seemed to smooth things out for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
If it were mine, I'd probably gamble on replacing the module.
I know lots of people had trouble with the Lean Burn system and yank it out at the first sign of any problem but I've had pretty good luck with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts