Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 86 Lebaron with the 2.5L and was wondering what's involved in either adding a turbo or swapping in a 2.2 turbo motor. If swapping the motor, I'd be sure to get the 2.2 wiring harness and computer. Do I need to do anything special to the 2.5 wiring harness to make the 2.2 work in the car? Can I use the existing 2.5 transmission or is the mating surface different? Also, is there anything to be gained (or lost) in terms of fuel economy? What do you guys get at today's highway speeds with the 2.5 NA or the 2.2 turbo? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Fuel economy is the same on the highway; worse for the turbo around town. I get about 32-33 highway with the TBI in a 93 Daytona and about 33-35 with the turbo in an 84 Daytona.

Turbo transmissions are a little more rugged. If you take it easy you're OK, but if you're on it a lot, don't put a TBi transmission behind a turbo.

The turbo clutch is 230mm diameter; TBI is 215mm.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Converting a TBI car to a turbo is a lot of work, even more so if you don't have a complete turbo donor car. Here's a pretty good summary:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/ddg_faq.html
The 2.5 trans will bolt up to the 2.2, but the transmission, like many engine internal parts, was beefed up for turbo use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. Makes sense about the transmission. Wow Bob, that's pretty good mileage! That's almost 10mpg more than what the 86 was originally rated at. What's your average speed? Do you have a 3-speed auto or something else? I know some of those ratings were for highway speeds of 55 and some of the older cars engines sound like they're racing at today's speed limits of 65-70. Have you noticed that at all?

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
No, these are close to the original EPA ratings. I have a 5-speed manual in all of my Daytonas. They were rated at 31 mpg highway. When the speed limit was 55, I was getting 35-37 mpg routinely. My 92 Daytona was getting 38-40 mpg on long trips at 55 mph.

They turn between 2400-2600 at 65 mph, so yes, they will rev higher than some of today's cars. They turn 2200 RPM at 55 mph.
My wife's Chrysler 200 only turns 1900 RPM at 65 mph, with the 4-cyl and 6-speed auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts