Allpar Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I love the 2 Gen LH cars, the styling was so far ahead of anything else.

Now they are quite rare to see and if you do, its 3.2/3.5 car as most 2.7s are done by now. Though a few years ago, I saw a base intrepid on the road with the nice blue smoke trail behind it...poor car.

I would love to have a 2001-2004 300M :)

Or a 1994-1996 LHS/New Yorker(best-looking LH cars ever) but those are just not around anymore:(

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The wheels, center shifter, folding mirrors, grille, and tail lamps are simple enough to swap on the earlier Ms, the window trim is the only hard part. Otherwise, aside from the switch to low-speed bus on 02-04s, you wouldn't know the difference between a 99 and an 04 on the outside. Unless you have a color other years didn't have, like my 99-only PS4 car. I have the chrome shift knob from a 2001, "Leather" shift gate, 2001+ wheels, tail lights, and I have Special signal mirrors sitting in my basement as a project if I ever get spare time, if I decide to keep the car... and also do the window trim if I ever get time to spend just wasting away in a junkyard to pull the 01+ trim.

In the 02 you don't get rear door lights, in 03-04 no front lights either. Plus the seat quality in the newer ones, well, my 1999 has only "Cracks" in the leather seats. Nothing is worn through, despite 215k miles. In every 01+ I've seen the driver's seat is badly worn. Daimler cut costs/corners in the later years, and they just don't seem as nice, even if they look nicer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to your site. I am a professional mechanic with SEVERAL years worth of experience.. We have owned 2 LHS, 1st was a 1994 in the "Emerald" green with all options and the gold accent trim (very rare). Bought it from a Chrysler dealer with 70,000 well cared for miles. We put over 250,000 miles on it. Some nice person making an illegal turn hit it, the damage was to severe to fit, The only non maintenance item I did was at 200,000 rebuilt the transmission. Used the insurance money and purchased a 1996 LHS. again with all options including the trunk mounted 6 CD changer, in the metallic Silver. It had 43,000 on it never take out of state and we currently have 270,000 miles on it. Only non maintenance items I preformed is a fuel pump at 200.000 miles and I rebuilt the transmission because we developed a shifter solenoid pack issue, that was at 165,000 miles. What I am saying is I guess if you do your required maintenance the cars will last 300,00+ miles.
P>S> most Crown Vics are ex police cars and got all their maintenance done regularly.
Thanks Ed
Just an update. We now have 280,000 miles on the car, just preformed a full service found no problems. I am replacing the front and rear struts, I found a place that builds strut spring to your specs so I'm also getting new struts springs. That should take care of us for many more fun filled miles. At current rate we are looking forward to 500,000 miles easy.
Thanks Ed

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought a new1994 LHS back when. It was my company car at the time. I absolutely loved that car. It was burgundy with every option. I was very comfortable and fun to drive. I see a couple still running around here in Raleigh.
There is a white one I see occasionally that looks like brand new.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,165 Posts
As of a couple of years ago, my mom said she saw my 99 300M still running around town. Considering the amount of maintenance I put in it over the years I had it, it isn't surprising that they were still driving it.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
With the early LH bench seat and column shift availability, the car was a true 6-passenger, full-size car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As my '99 LHS fast approaches it's 22nd birthday (Jul 31st, 98 build date) although I have been a Mopar guy all my life, this one has been a real keeper. Never afraid to jump in it and go any place at any time, even with 430, 000 on the clock. Wish my wives had lasted as long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maintenance is key with the LH's. The first generation LH 3.5 iron block is a non-interference engine so the timing belt and water pump change was not critical if the belt broke. The 2d Gen aluminum block was not a non-interference and so the owner needed to be aware of that. I love my two first gen LHS'.

·
Banned
1,925 Posts
Love the LH cars but.............. For big cars like the Crown vic and the buick Lesabre. yes I know the crown vic was built till 2010 but the lesabre stoped in 2005.
Question: I must see 10 times more Lesabres in St. Louis then I do LH cars. Is there something in the LH cars that they aren't worth keeping after 100,000 miles or so? I did have a friend that had a 2002 300M and everytime I drove in it it seemd like a great car but my buddy got rid of it around 120,000 miles, he said it was "nickle and dimeing" him to death.
So am I just seeing things or is the Lesabre that good?
I’ll bet Buicks out sold LHs 10 to 1.
Plus the 3800 GM V6s were dang near bullet proof.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
I just saw a beautiful condition Concorde Limited parked at a grocery store. I was impressed with the condition and how well the styling has held up. I have no idea how many miles were on it, but someone was taking good care of it.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Was it in Danville? Or not? I saw a gold one, like mint, in Luzerne Gerrity's probably the day you posted that, as I was leaving in my beater 300M.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I firmly believe that the mid-90s LH and LHS cars looked great and stood the test of time. Not a huge fan of the later ones. My hand to God I believe Chrysler, Ford and GM helped destroy demand for their cars when they made them look like blobs. Did you notice they tried to correct the mistake in later years? By then it was too late for many of them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My '95 Intrepid lasted through to 2018 - so what's that 23 years. I drove it to the junk yard with 486,000 km or about 300,000 miles on it. It was an old school push rod 3.3l. An awesome car - to think I bought it for $4500 in 2003 with about 145k km on it - owed me nothing. The only real chronic issue was the 4 speed 42LE (?) transmission - I had 3 hard faults on it - including a failure in both planets. Other than that, the body was still good after 23 years (oiled annually) - original timing chain still on it - original head gaskets (despite a bad over heating back in 2011 or so) - ran great but it developed a cold temperature start problem in January '18 when temps got around -20C - tried a few things but it frustrated me so I decided time to go. I agree the 2nd gen motors - esp the 2.7l caused a lot of them to go to the bone yard early - used to see a lot of them 2nd gen LHs with 2.7s in the yard when I went looking for parts.

Reactions: saltydog and tomit
21 - 40 of 64 Posts