Allpar Forums banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
'00 + '01 + '03 + '04 300m and '01 Ram
273 Posts
On one of my rock auto parts buying binges I bought that same rear strut for my 300m for $6 - because it was $6. I hope I never have to actually use it. But seeing that rear knuckle out of the car reminds me when my '00 300 was 12 years old - I spun around on an icy road and the rear tire hit the curb. Bent the axle down and cracked the rim. But no leak. I drove like that for a few months until I bought a new knuckle from the dealership. It was only while doing the replacement I discovered the bearing race had cracked in several places. So I had to get a new rear hub. I put the wheel with cracked rim in my basement. It's still there, still holding air.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Between working at the CDJ Dealership for several years and helping my father in law out in his shop. I've run across 2 Intrepids that were approaching 400,000 miles. ! will likely reach it, the other was very neglected and was probably only going to make 390,000.. AND.. For all the people that know it all.. They were both the original 2.7L motors..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Back toward the end of the '95 model year, my parents were looking for new car. Mother had always liked Chrysler products and we had a very good '66 Newport Town Sedan and a lesser-good '72 Newport Royal 400 2bbl. Mother did not want a "floor shift" (which the LHS had), so they found a dealer's wife's demo New Yorker. A great car! The interior was sewn to look similar to a '69 New Yorker split bench. The car didn't have the sunroof, which was good.

Although I was in GM parts and also liked Chrysler products, I did not want them to get into a Buick LeSabre. Knowing that I'd be the one to answer all service issues and such. Plus the Chrysler had the most rear seat leg room like our previous Chryslers did, which was an asset!

The first-gen LH cars were my "rent cars of choice" from Dollar Car Rental at DFW airport. I rented lots of LHSs and a few Concordes. Same wheelbase, but the roof line of the LHS/New Yorker allowed the rear seat to be moved rearward for the greater leg room than a similar Intrepid. Kind of funny how the next-gen Town Cars has similar styling to the first-gen LH Chryslers!

As time went on, some things needed to be done. First was the timing belt at 6 yrs, at the dealer's suggestion. No big deal. Close to the "bankruptcy time", my mother took the car in for an oil change and they did something to trip "Limo-In Mode", which is how she drove it the 17 or so miles home on country roads. I had Phoenix Trans do their electronic checks and all was well. Very little clutch wear, with the "apply times" being in the lower end of the spec. Not bad for over 80K of normal miles.

Had to replace tie-rod ends, engine fan controller, the mode act for the inside/outside air function clicks (needs replacement), BUT the main thing that resulted in it being parked was that the BCM started to slowly stop working.

First thing I noticed was a very slight delay in the action of the delay windshield wipers. Something that you'd notice if you knew what you were looking at. Then, a year or so later, when I'd park it, I'd hear the horn make a honk as if the security system was arming. Not a real chirp, but a little longer than that. It would do this regularly, with the alarm activated. Then the headlights would not go off automatically when the vehicle was stopped, which ran the battery down (altough it had battery run-down protection) Ended up pulling a fuse to keep from having to charge the battery every time we drove it. Then, various things on the instrument cluster stopped working, including the radio. LH power locks would not work, too. That was about the time Mother decided she needed to stop driving, as I'd been driving her for a few years at that time. So the car was parked, and still is.

Sad to say that much of the plastic trim is havingf some issues. Like the inserts on the bodyside cladding falling off when the adhesive on them dried-up. The plastic on the decklid had to bre re-stuck. Bad thing is that as plastic ages, it shrinks and must be re-attached. Of course, the air bag cover on the instrument panel is warped.

I intend to revive the car in the near future, but need to find a reliable place to get a new BCM for it. Then a new fuel pump and the tank cleaned out. Other things from there.

I see very few first-gen LH cars, or even 2nd-Gen LH cars in the DFW area, especially nice ones. As mentioned, different customer demographics from a typical Buick LeSabre owner.

About 3yrs ago, I bought a 2005 LeSabre as a back-up for my daily car. A car that had apparently led a sheltered life with about 80K miles. Perfect leather interior, just the headliner fabric was delaminating. The Buick 3800 V-6 has strong off-idle performance and nearly 30mph on the highway. Needs some new front struts. There are still lots fo these cars around. Mostly driven by lower-income people who need reliable transportation at not much cost for maintenance. Most of the long-term durability issues are well-known and easy to fix.

By observation, these cars have become more "old ladies' cars" as the ladies were the last one of the married couple to pass away. Great low-end power that doesn't need a 8-speed automatic to happen. Solid engineering that was well-sorted out as time progressed. The 4T65E automatic works smoothly as long as the shift solenoids work right (as in full like pressure shifts at normal shift points.

In any event, having a good tech who knows the cars and what fixes them is important. Moreso with Chrysler products (as they are "different" than other vehicles), just as it was back in the 1960s. There were LOTS of Chrysler transaxles replaced on the first-gen LH cars when all that was needed were two solenoids or even an new exhaut pipe clamp (from the old Chrysler product Usenet forum bulletin board website). I still believe that the LH cars were well-engineered, but when the plastic trim keeps falling off or similar, hard to get excited about getting another one, to me, unless you really like them. Whereas, the Buicks don't have those issues with mundane high-tech-for-the-time "normal" powertrains that just keep on going.

Need to get that LH New Yorker going again!

61 - 64 of 64 Posts