Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, PLEASE report the odometer readings of any Liberty you've seen. My friend has a 2005, 3.7, auto. w/ 90,000 trouble free miles. I know there are YEARS left in this solid car. She's maintained it by the book. In the future her selection of "Next Tech" cars will grow. She loves this vehicle but has the new car bee-in-her-bonnet. Also, mention any large or surprising repair which your Liberty needed. These Libertys seem not to have any recurring problems except for a batch of bad window motors/regulators (an argument for keeping the car). TIA for any info and guidance, Kira

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our '06 Sport 4x4 has 82k miles. We bought it used in Oct. 08, but it's had no major repairs that I know of.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just bought a 2002 Liberty with 126,000 on it and no issues I know of in looking at the service records...would like to known also...

·
Registered
279 Posts
2003 Renegade w/130 000km. has had a few major problems : trans/transfer rebuilt was in accident and tow company didnt use dollies.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
2002 Liberty, Limited, with towing package, 4 WD, 120,000+ miles.
Two ball joint recalls for that year, both times replaced under warranty.
Plastic radiator developed a pin hole, replaced by Warranty.
Right front CV axle shaft on the IFS front end, replaced under warranty.
Axle gives signs of going out again.

NOTE: This Liberty is used as a JEEP was intended, it's not a Mall Cruiser.
I suspect that Liberty's used as daily drivers and never seeing the dirt roads of America would do better than mine, which has off road tires, a 3" lift and gets used as a Jeep should.

It's been to Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada as well as many California trails.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive got an 07 with 67000, no engine problems yet aside from a slight tick on cold morning start ups and a whinning sound.

Everything els eon the thing has given me some kind of trouble though. WORST vehicle I have ever owned no questions asked.

Has been maintained by jeep recommendations since I got it at 19,000. Dont know much about it before that though.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Has been maintained by jeep recommendations since I got it at 19,000. Dont know much about it before that though.
If you got it used at 19,000 miles, was it a Lemon Law buy back that they resold to you?
CarFax?

·
Registered
8 Posts
02 Liberty Ltd. with 86K miles. Tow package. Bought used in 04 with less than 20K on it.
Very lightly driven. Well maintained. Badly built.
Will never buy a Jeep again. Here's the list so far.

Radiator, Leaking, replaced.
2 Rear window regulators broken and replaced. surprise! I'm an expert now at doing that job.
Air Conditioner Clutch on compressor going bad. Stops intermittently.
Heater does not.
Radiator replaced again, after having electric cooling fan explode, destroying radiator, fan, and radiator cowl.
This vehicle sits in the driveway for the most part and just breaks. Stopped being the daily driver when gas went to $4 gallon.

Oh yeah, remember that tow package? With the hitch? Well, there's the part where the hitch is 2 inches too close to the Spare tire to tow with the spare tire on, so don't forget that.

You are warned.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
02 Liberty Ltd. with 86K miles. Tow package. Bought used in 04 with less than 20K on it.

You are warned.
Guess what, you didn't buy a Jeep you bought a Daimler Budget Cut.
Even so, the Liberty is not that bad of a vehicle and the '02 you own is not built anymore, so nothing in the new lineup shares any parts with the '02, which by the way, I happen to also own an '02, Limited, 140,000 miles, one radiator replaced, two window regulators replaced, no issues whatsoever with the FACTORY towing package..Yours is most likely a dealer installed or aftermarket hitch. Also had the A/C compressor clutch replaced.
Rode hard and still riding it.
Nothing to warn about, Daimler is gone and the new Chrysler's are better. The Daimler suspension sucks, but other than that, it's a good Jeep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I guess I did it wrong? I don't think you can speak to the towing package, since I don't remember you coming over and checking it out for me. It is factory installed, and I do use it to tow a trailer, which the hitch will not fit unless the spare is removed.
The thing I didn't 'guess' about was the bad quality of parts and build of this thing. I had the impression of Jeeps being hardy, thought it might be consistent across models, but that isn't true.
There are other brands out there that it is, regardless of year bought and miles on it. I guarantee choosing them the next time.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
"I don't think you can speak to the towing package, since I don't remember you coming over and checking it out for me. It is factory installed, and I do use it to tow a trailer, which the hitch will not fit unless the spare is removed."
I have the identical Jeep Liberty, year and model, but you're correct, I cannot see what you have added to it, which is causing the problem.
You have something out of the ordinary with your trailer hitch, slide in receiver, trailer tongue, or an oversized spare, because I also have the factory tow package and I also tow and it fits just fine.
Your factory 2" receiver can accept many, many configurations of hitches, drops and ball sizes, etc.
It's possible an incorrect choice was made in selecting the hitch equipment...and that is not Jeep's fault.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
96,000 miles -- 2005 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4x2 -- the only problem I've had so far (besides the lower ball joints recall) was the multifunction switch had a minor glitch where the parking lights/dashboard lights would flash when you used the left turn signal -- I replaced the entire module (turn signal and wiper stalks) myself in 10 minutes for a total parts cost of $50. So far the most trouble free car I've ever owned including a Toyota, some Hondas ($4000 transmission!), BMWs, Mazda, Explorer. Gas mileage blows though.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dang! Ours just started doing that! Use the left turn indicator and the dome light goes on!
Thanks for the tip.

Gas mileage is 16 city, 22 Hwy. Much better than the 3.8, and the 4.7 V8 would be no worse.
Overall, the 3.7 is one of the better V6's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2003 Renegade with only 108,000 so far. Gas guzzling daily, but it's total badass on the road. I have added air intakes in the hood, taillight guards, black headlight bezels, homemade rear shelf, and soon a jerry can to the spare. Even though I don't blast the music, I've had to replace both Infinity speakers in the main doors, which was tricky due to different wiring connections with my Chrysler replacements. Front drive shaft broke somewhere between trans and diff, but it's all good now. Now if I just drop in a 4.7, I think I'd be in Jeep heaven!
I've had the same problem with my tow package and spare. Haven't tried it, but wouldn't the purchase of a longer slide in receiver that sticks out just beyond the spare solve the problem?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just bought an '05 Jeep Liberty Renegade April 27th from Carmax.
76k miles 4x4 heavily optioned.
So far the only problem was Carmax.
They sold it to me with only 1 working key.
The second key was not a sentry type coded key so it would start and cut off after 2 seconds as it should.
After I complained heavily they finally bought the $80 key but I had to fork out $120 to buy another key fob key.
So far I have not found any type of mechanical problems.
Had my Chrysler/Jeep dealer check it out and they found no issues.
Hopefully I will have many years of driving out this thing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My daughter has a 2004 Liberty with 133,000 miles on it. Tranny went out at 130,000, and steering column just went out of it, so you could not start it. A call to the Chrysler dealer said they knew of this problem, and have a footnote added to their parts page that reads that they have remanufactured that part. Part number is... RL057897AA. All is fixed now, except they missed the part on putting the horn wires back in. I have asked in the repair forum for some help on this, as the work was done in Florida, and they left as soon as the work was done for their trip to MN. They found out in Kentucky that the horn didn't work, so they just traveled on. I hope I can fix it for her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport - purchased new. 25K on the clock. EGR went on it already and an oil leak developed from the rear of the engine. Chrysler is investigating they added a dye since the vehicle is under warranty. I am slighty disappointed because my garage floor is a mess. In addition, the radio does not keep accurate time and the tow/haul switch keeps getting stuck on the "in" position and doesn't release. 2 tow/haul switches have been already replaced and it is located in awkward position. On the other hand, I like vehicle's structure frame, doors, hood are very solid, only wish it had 6 spd auto vs a 4 spd and a diesel, limited slip front/rear differentials the electronic traction control is rubbish. Suspension and tires will be replaced much later down the road.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Radiator, Leaking, replaced.
2 Rear window regulators broken and replaced. surprise! I'm an expert now at doing that job.
Air Conditioner Clutch on compressor going bad. Stops intermittently.
Heater does not.
Radiator replaced again, after having electric cooling fan explode, destroying radiator, fan, and radiator cowl.
This vehicle sits in the driveway for the most part and just breaks. Stopped being the daily driver when gas went to $4 gallon.

Oh yeah, remember that tow package? With the hitch? Well, there's the part where the hitch is 2 inches too close to the Spare tire to tow with the spare tire on, so don't forget that.

You are warned.
A neighbor has a Liberty 3.7L with a non-functioning driver side front window. Is the repair a new motor/regulator or just a switch? Wht exactly is the part? How hard is it to replace?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
A neighbor has a Liberty 3.7L with a non-functioning driver side front window. Is the repair a new motor/regulator or just a switch? Wht exactly is the part? How hard is it to replace?
Commonly, it is a broken lift plate. These plastic parts have a chronic failure rate on Libertys and there is a TSB fix for all years and an extended warranty coverage for models back to 2006.
The dealer can run your VIP report and determine if the repair is covered under warranty. If not, it's about $325.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts