Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

2006 Grand Caravan.
Lights went out on drivers side front & rear markers along with license plate. Last time it happened it was a fuse. I tried (3) new fuses this time and nothing changed. Still no lights. Brake & signals work fine.

I have a towing harness plugged into this side in the rear if it makes a difference in figuring this out.
As a matter of fact the lights were on and trailer attached when they went out.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I'm not sure, but there may be a resistor pack that has burned out. I had a similar problem with a Santa Fe that I had and the U-Haul dealer told me about it. Sure enough, that's what it was for me. I don't know if your van has one or not, but mine was located inside the tail light cavity on the drivers side of the vehicle. I'm sure someone here will know if they have one or if it may be something else.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chuzz, if anyone can elaborate I 'd appreciate it. The housing comes out in one piece and I don't remember seeing one in the cavity,
I've used the trailer once or twice a week in the evening for about 3 hours to haul water (darn drought) since March.
Now that it's dark in the evening I want to be seen.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Don't neglect the connection for the wiring harness stub for the trailer. Additionally, since most vehicles have separate brake and turn lights, but trailers combine those, the harness also has to do some combination work with some kind of simple controller. If the controller is dead then that might cause problems for other circuits.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuse, fuse, fuse.
Looks like all my replacement fuses were bad.
All were fresh and new, they are just defective.
Everything is working fine now.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Wow! Where did the bad batch of fuses come from, if you don't mind me asking? Glad to hear that it really was something simple, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
There have been issues with some Chinese-made fuses causing fires. A while back, Harbor Freight sold some that wouldn't blow, even with a dead short.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/auto_fuses.html

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
That's what happens when you build something based on a picture or nontechnical description of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up at Harbor Freight. Just thought I'd have some to throw in the glove compartment just in case. I have pitched them all.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I picked up at Harbor Freight. Just thought I'd have some to throw in the glove compartment just in case. I have pitched them all.
I'd be taking them all back to Harbor Freight for a refund, that is if I bought any Chinese parts in the first place. The parts stores these days are lousey with China made parts....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts