Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned the truck for 25 years. Would like to add headers to engine that has been upgraded to Super Commando specs. If you're familiar with the exhaust routing on these trucks, it can be tricky. Does anyone make a "shorty header" that will allow for proper routing to the vertical exhaust pipes that don't hang down and look unisightly? Please recommend options.

Also considering running with no mufflers or minimal backpressure..

Thanks

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Later Magnum trucks did have shorty headers, and later-model exhaust manifolds were better flowing than the stuff from the late seventies. You'll probably still have to have the exhaust headpipes reworked to meet up with whatever you install, but the changes should be limited to the engine compartment. Do your cylinder heads have those holes at each cylinder for either an aspirator tube or for a smog pump to connect? If so then you'll need to tap and plug those holes so that you don't have exhaust leaks.

Does yours have a crossover pipe from the factory? I've seen aftermarket Lil Red exhausts that had a particularly long crossover pipe, but I wasn't sure if those were OEM or not.

·
Registered
647 Posts
agreed I think the magnum headers would work best, I have a set we are installing on my sons Dakota that we were going to put on his 80 short box but opted for the proper ones instead, note though that the magnum style have stock exhaust flanges while the reg style use collectors and the magnum style terminate higher up than the stock ones,TWX arnt the holes you are talking about only in the exhaust manifolds them selves? I remember blocking these off on a truck I had as a kid and I just remember blocking the exhaust manifold after removing the smog stuff.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
My Cordoba's heads had those holes too, they duct the air into the port right at the exhaust valve.

A

·
0 Posts
My '79 Little Red Express still has the original manifolds and I was looking to upgrade to headers as well so I am intrested also.
The mufflers were removed from my truck before I bought it but the cats are still in place and I am supprised at how quiet they are considering under hard acceleration at highway speed with the window down. Yes they are noisey but not like a sedan would be with similar setup. When I rebuild the motor I will be installing mufflers and hope to incorparate headers as well with the balance pipe which is quite long (factory) due to the route the pipes take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts