Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (May 1, 2021) I went to photograph a number of cars belonging to a widow of a former car club member. She and her deceased husband left the club before I joined. Although I had heard their names mentioned before, I had never met either one before today.

I primarily went to get photographs of a different make of vehicle they have to help her sell them, but I noticed they had a Chrysler 300. I'm not a Mopar guy, but I've heard about the old 300-letter series cars, so I took one photograph. Tonight when I downloaded the photographs I was curious to see which letter and year it is. I searched the internet, and apparently it's a 1963 300J, one of only 400.

I'm going back tomorrow to get more photographs of the car (engine, interior, etc). I have the following questions:

• Where can I find the serial number tag for the car?
  • Where can I find the serial number of the engine?

I was told the car is original and complete.

Thank you for your help.

I believe the tires are actually holding air. Unfortunately, the car has been stored outside on soft ground for a long time, so the tires have sunk into the ground. I can only imagine what the floors look like now. The story is that the couple owned a house and a 40x70 building in another city. The cars were stored inside. They sold that place and moved. The plan was to put up a new building to store the cars, but life and a new children got in the way, and the building didn't get built right away. When it did, it was much smaller, so the cars stayed outside.

Mark

1963_Chrysler_300J_hardtop_r_rot_left.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've done more digging on the internet, and I think this is just a more common 300-series, not a 300J.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
21,804 Posts
I see 3 Hawks in the background. The Packard-engined PowerHawk or any Paxton-supercharged or GoldenHawks are collectable, if salvageable.
I have a Lark Daytona V8 and parts aren't difficult to find.
The non-letter 300 is still a desireable car.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the serial number plate and body data plate. The car's S/N is 8233214998.

Yes, those are three Studebaker Hawks in the background. The two to the right are 1960 Silver Hawks. The one to the left is a 1958 Golden Hawk, one of 878, and I think it has the McCoullough supercharger. I think they started using the Paxton superchargers for the 1963-64 Avanti R-series engines.

There are two other Studebakers, a 1963 Avanti R2 with 4-speed and a 1955 Champion 4-door sedan with body number 4, and a 1937 Buick, all out of view. I was there specifically to get photos and serial numbers for the Studebakers. I didn't know the Chrysler and Buick were there.

All are for sale. We're helping the widow spread the word about the cars. All of them have titles.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Location and ballpark prices might help get them moved. I'd love to have that old 300, but with my wifes next back surgery coming up in a couple of months, I'm going to be broke again. Insurance only covers so much.

Reactions: marcus mitton

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SDC is still the major Studebaker club;

All the cars are located in Washington state. The seller elected to not set an asking price on each car. Those who contact her to make an offer should expect to negotiate up from their opening offer.

Yes, I'm a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club. We'll be advertising the Studebakers in our local chapter newsletter starting this month.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the cars are located in Washington state. The seller elected to not set an asking price on each car. Those who contact her to make an offer should expect to negotiate up from their opening offer.

Yes, I'm a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club. We'll be advertising the Studebakers in our local chapter newsletter starting this month.

Mark
hi was wondering if shes in a hurry as in cars have to be gone by....or is there a bit of timefor aquiring and removal?//////////////////////////////////////////////////////'
also how can one reach her?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi was wondering if shes in a hurry as in cars have to be gone by....or is there a bit of timefor aquiring and removal?//////////////////////////////////////////////////////'
also how can one reach her?
She would like to sell them by the end of the summer. You'll need to make arrangements to remove the ones you buy. This time of year, our weather is drying out. Typically it stops raining in June and is dry to September, so the next few months will be best to have them removed. The water table is very close to the surface where they are sitting, and the ground is currently soft, but not squishy wet. The ground will be more solid, but once the rain sets back in September, it may be difficult to pull them out.

Send me a private message and I can provide her contact information.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts