Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Moderator/Lead Reporter - Motorsports News Section
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is real cool! The original dash & inside door covering is still in the car!!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
..and look how far back the steering wheel and pedals are! For better weight distribution, I'm sure. Travis must sit in the back seat.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget, Bryce Menzies drives this car too! This picture was taken from his FB page!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I don't think so. Look at what it has done for Ford. In Europe rally and Ford are absolute synonyms. Even more so than in the Subaru/Mitsu rally wars. Ford has been there since the sixties. Rally racing tends to attract younger people. I think it is only a waste of money if they leave the sport.

They need to stay in it, and commit to winning. I think if they do that, it will be an unqualified success. No other series, not NASCAR, not NHRA, not LMP, not ALMS, Grand Am, or anything has as direct a correlation to sales as success in Rally racing does. It is why Ford went Rallying in the sixties, it why Lancia, Datsun, Renault, Audi, Subaru, Mitsu, et, al went rallying. Winning in Rally impacts sales directly, quickly, and with a lot of bang for the buck.

If they leave, or put in a halfhearted effort, then I agree with you. If it is a real effort, with winning as the goal, and not just "putting there name out there", then I disagree.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Mr.Source said:
In my opinion,this has been a waste of money for Chrysler.
If they have as bad of a season this year... I will agree.

Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Muther said:
I don't think so. Look at what it has done for Ford. In Europe rally and Ford are absolute synonyms. Even more so than in the Subaru/Mitsu rally wars. Ford has been there since the sixties. Rally racing tends to attract younger people. I think it is only a waste of money if they leave the sport.

They need to stay in it, and commit to winning. I think if they do that, it will be an unqualified success. No other series, not NASCAR, not NHRA, not LMP, not ALMS, Grand Am, or anything has as direct a correlation to sales as success in Rally racing does. It is why Ford went Rallying in the sixties, it why Lancia, Datsun, Renault, Audi, Subaru, Mitsu, et, al went rallying. Winning in Rally impacts sales directly, quickly, and with a lot of bang for the buck.

If they leave, or put in a halfhearted effort, then I agree with you. If it is a real effort, with winning as the goal, and not just "putting there name out there", then I disagree.
Totaly agree with you on this

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Muther said:

I will add, that there needs to be a car for the younger (modder, or hot rodder if you prefer) types to sink their teeth into. Its not good enough to just be in the rally game. You need street cred. Winning, and offering good model choices is paramount. Turbo's are nearly a must have in the current modder/hot rodder environment, at least if its a four. Also, the car needs to have a certain level of friendliness to modding/hotrodding. If the performance models are there, and the winning happens, then money is well spent.

If the performance models are not there, or if the hot rod equipment is not there, or there is no commitment to winning on the part of SRT, then it is money wasted.

If the commitment to the community is there, then it is money well spent.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Muther said:
I will add, that there needs to be a car for the younger (modder, or hot rodder if you prefer) types to sink their teeth into. Its not good enough to just be in the rally game. You need street cred. Winning, and offering good model choices is paramount. Turbo's are nearly a must have in the current modder/hot rodder environment, at least if its a four. Also, the car needs to have a certain level of friendliness to modding/hotrodding. If the performance models are there, and the winning happens, then money is well spent.

If the performance models are not there, or if the hot rod equipment is not there, or there is no commitment to winning on the part of SRT, then it is money wasted.

If the commitment to the community is there, then it is money well spent.
There is a vast difference between turbo performance and Supercharged performance.
With the Chrysler focus upon Supercharging, it has the potential to make the imports with turbos lose all street cred, just a thought.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see the younger car people everyday, I have a welding shop and have been doing a lot of TIG welding on these kids inercooler's that they are modifying for bidder turbo's. My son inlaw has a turbo tatto on his chest and my grandson middle name is turbo. What do you think his first name is? It starts with G. Younger generation is into the smaller cars, next time a Drifting events comes to town check out the croud and the parking lot.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Drifting packed them in at Irwindale, about 10 years ago, then it waned.
Not sure if the attention span was lost, or the economy sank it, but the one on one format of drifting, gets kind of old and predictable after a few weeks.
It's great for tire manufacturers though... ;)

It's a pretty young crowd out here at KOH, but the cost to get involved is likely beyond the reach of many to compete.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I said turbo's, but supers would work, too. The hotrodders of today don't really care how the power is made, as long as its there, and they can mod it to easily make more. Supercharging would be fine, there is a lot of knowledge out there about it. Turbo's are just all over the place, because they have been so popular for so long, on so many cars. Hotrodders of today have very little prejudice. They want performance, as cheaply as possible, and they don't really care how its done.

With turbo's (or super's), getting a two liter+ i4 up to 400hp, is pretty simple. New FW, bigger spools, some better spark, and you're almost there.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Muther said:
I said turbo's, but supers would work, too. The hotrodders of today don't really care how the power is made, as long as its there, and they can mod it to easily make more. Supercharging would be fine, there is a lot of knowledge out there about it. Turbo's are just all over the place, because they have been so popular for so long, on so many cars. Hotrodders of today have very little prejudice. They want performance, as cheaply as possible, and they don't really care how its done.

With turbo's (or super's), getting a two liter+ i4 up to 400hp, is pretty simple. New FW, bigger spools, some better spark, and you're almost there.
Just my opinion, but I think we are about to see a big jump in the trend to Super vs. Turbo.
More useable bottom to mid-range torque, less lag time, super chargers are getting affordable.
The number of aftermarket companies offering superchargers at lower prices is growing and then there is Mopar and the 6.2.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike V. said:
This is a photo taken Wednesday March 20th 2013 by Bryce Menzies after a practice run in Seatte!

Comments from Bryce Menzies on Twitter & Instagram

Instagram quote:

brycemenzies7Solid couple days in Seattle with the rally team. Heading home to qualifying for the #TORCmint400 in the AM. #dodge #discounttire #redbull

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Great to see, looks like we know who our second driver will be ;)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
SkyBlade said:
I really enjoy the GRC races, just wish I had a chance to watch more of it.
There were only a handful of races last year and they didn't figure out how to conduct the course and not kill the drivers and cars, until about halfway through the season.
This year should be better, but they need a better format to eliminate the waiting between heats and the inconsistent TV coverage made finding the series difficult.
This year should be better, but there was too much gimmickry and not enough actual racing last year.

·
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SkyBlade said:
I really enjoy the GRC races, just wish I had a chance to watch more of it.
We will make sure you have that opportunity Skyblade, I'll call you if you don't see the posts that are here & let you know when the race will be so you can record them!

1st race is April 20th in Brazil!

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Thanks Suzq044

1 - 20 of 35 Posts