Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Unusually Geeky
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How am I supposed to resist this? My wife has put her foot down but jeez, look at this thing...56K original miles, impeccably maintained:

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
And it even still has the hood ornament! One of my friends found a 45k mile 1992 Grand Voyager LE listed on craigslist up in Ohio. It was really nice but the hood ornament was gone.

·
Unusually Geeky
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stratuscaster said:
Tempting...very tempting...only think keeping me away is the 3.0L engine...and the lack of $4200.
I'm not sure it has the 3.0L...looking at the picture of the instrumentation, it appears to have the shift quadrant of the 4-speed ATX (the circled "D"). The 3.0L could be had with this tranny, but so could the 3.3L...

On edit: DUH! I just checked the Carfax report and this Caravan does indeed have the 3.0L. That would actually be OK with me; I generally had good luck with this engine in the two minivans and Dodge Spirit I used to own.

I'm also lacking the $4200. :(

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
3.0L is a killer. In 2005 I found a 94 GC 3.3L with 52K miles on eBay for $4100. Bought it---still have it---now has 92K miles. I would cry bitter tears if anything happened to it. BIL has an 02 GC. Wouldn't trade him even.

Second gen. Chrysler vans are the best vans Chrysler ever made IMHO. A "K" car on steroids, easy to maintain compared to the later models with plenty of cheap replacement parts available.

If only it didn't have that *#@%!^% 3.0L POS engine! Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Unusually Geeky
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, FredB...the second gen minivans were great! I really liked our '94 Grand Voyager. The thing felt like a rocket, with its low curb weight and torquey 3.3L engine.

I liked the SWB models of the 3rd generation, too.

I must be living a charmed life or sump'n' because the only issue I ever had with the 3.0L engine was a leaky cam cover gasket on my '94 Spirit. Never had one of the oil burners; even our '89 Grand Caravan never smoked.

On edit: That '94 pictured above is breaking my heart. I'm a real geek when it comes to Mopar minivans. I even have all the old brochures for the 1984-2007 models, and I still look at them. Dang, I'd like to have that ol' Caravan...but my wife won't budge. :(

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Where are you guys getting $4200, I'm seeing $3900. Maybe he lowered it and is looking to deal. Its a beauty for sure!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Very nice van, I had forgotten how nice the 2gen vans are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great find! I'd get it, since my Saris four-bike roof rack would fit. I'm worried that anything I find to replace my current '95 will require additional expenditure for such a rack.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
I can't beef about our '96 3.0L. Bought it with 96k and it has over 250k now. Other than routine maintenance, all I've done is valve seals, the water tubes, radiator, and a water pump simply because I was in there doing the timing belt and crank seal. Oh, one starter, one fuel pump, no alternators yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts