Allpar Forums banner

looked at 2012 200 & Avenger today

6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Moparian 
#1 ·
We hadn't originally planned on looking at cars today, but the friend that was with us was interested so we popped in and had a cursory look at a bunch of vehicles, including a more in-depth look at an upoptioned 200.

Preface- we didn't drive anything. We do not plan to drive anything until we've sat in everything we're interested in first. And enough car salesmen are idiots that when we encounter one that isn't it's a nice surprise. Today was not one of those days.

The 200 was a dark red metallic one with tan/cream leather seats and the 3.6. The interior was quite nice- only hard plastic seemed to be on the console and probably the kick panels and possibly the lower door panels- most of the interior was padded and felt nice. The driving and accessory controls were easy to reach, and the rear viee mirror was able to be adjusted up high enough that it didn't block my forward view (I'm 6'2" tall). The tilt/teli steering wheel was also positionable to where I needed it, and since this particular one didn't have a sunroof I had plenty of headroom without lowering the seat all of the way down.

My wife had enough legroom in the rear passenger's seat behind me that she felt it would be comfortable for long trips. She also liked the armrest cupholder and the trunk passthrough. Unfortunately the center console failed the, "purse test," as her purse didn't fit inside, but not many cars pass that even with her smallest purse.

We have a generally favorable opinion of the car at this point. I plan to look at Mopar dealer-installed aftermarket options for it though, as I really want something more exciting looking. It is definitely better than its immediate JX predecessor.

I was disappointed to see some damage to the right front fender on this car, it looked like something rubbed against it on the truck and wore a nickel-sized hole down to the metal and slightly deformed it there.

They had no Avengers with the 3.6 that we could find. The one 2.4 we sat in was nice enough, cream cloth seats and simpler radio, but it would have been nice to have seen a higher trim package one.

See less See more
#2 ·
My wife and I are very happy with her Chrysler 200 Touring. It's 2 months old with 900 miles, not a single flaw.

#3 ·
We love our Avenger. We have put 5600 miles on the car and it is awesome. The 3.6 is great and gets great Mpgs. I hope you find the Avenger\200 suitable as your next car. Good luck
Mick

#4 ·
Question about the "Cold Weather Group"... Does the remote start automatically start the heated seats? I'm in Arizona. I want remote start so that I can leave the air conditioning set, and have it kick in for me before I come out to drive home.

I am disappointed in the Avenger, they do not let one get the beige interior with the nav system and the V6 at the same time.

If we'd get a 200, it'd be either white or red, probably white, with the beige interior, probably leather, possibly with the nav system, and with the V6. Looks like the Limited is what I would have to buy.

Now, I have to consider a new 200, at "net price" of 25,000, or that 2006 300 SRT8 with 12,000 miles on it at a local stealdealership for $28,000.

#5 ·
I use my remote start for the same thing and the seat heaters never come on and the ac blows cold but I just leave it on auto.
The srt 8 would be awesome but the mpgs ans insurance would cost a lot more.
Mick

#6 ·
What kind of aftermarket options are there?

I didn't remember if the Limited has dual exhaust or not. Mopar Performance catalog shows a dual exhaust cat-back for the 3.5L for Sebring/Avenger through '09, I'm wondering if there's anything for the newer vehicle.

I would also not be opposed to looking at paint-matched body cladding kits. I don't want a bunch of stick-on chrome though.

#7 ·
My avenger has duel crome tip exhaust. I am not sure about the aftermarket but someone in town has a 3.6L with an exaust system and it sounds pretty good.

#8 ·
(Just to be correct, for those playing body code bingo at home - current 200/Avenger is JS. Previous Sebring/Avegner is also JS. Before that, Sebring/Stratus was JR, and before that Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze was JA - Sebring vert was JX.)

Been considering a new Avenger myself. I'd consider an 08-10 model, if I could swap an 11-12 grille into it. ;)

#9 ·
Strai I parked next to an 08\10 model yesterday and my car is lower and the stance is wider. I am sure you could swap the grill but I am not so sure it would look good.
Mick
P.S. They did away with the chill zone which I thought was a cool idea.

#10 ·
The 200 might match or beat the price of the Avenger. Sticker on ours was $22,515, and the dealer had a 10% discount on that. We were lucky that I had a corporate discount that saved us far more.

At that price, it was what I would consider loaded. I think it has more room than the Avenger.

#11 ·
JS- gotchya.

For so long the J cars were almost identically equipped, basically to a fault. I was surprised when they provided the beige interior on the 200 Limited, but not on the higher end Avenger SXT or the RT.

#12 ·
Picked up my Avenger last Thursday, loving every minute of it so far. Only thing fancy I got was the 3.6, so I can't speak towards the leather, but it rides and handles wonderful and looks great. Was a toss-up from that and the 200, came down to price and the Avenger having the Blue Streak Pearl color.

Good luck!

#13 ·
We looked at the Avenger and Sebring 3 years ago. They did not make us want one. 3 Days ago we looked again. We bought a 2012 Avenger R/T. VERY impressed. Whole different car. Love the 3.6 engine and 6-speed tranny. The whole car seems built solid. The ONLY thing we dont like is the tach in the middle and the speedo to the right.

#15 ·
I would be surprised if the wiring harness was different, in this era of modular assembly and simplified option packages.

#16 ·
What kind of aftermarket options are there?

I didn't remember if the Limited has dual exhaust or not. Mopar Performance catalog shows a dual exhaust cat-back for the 3.5L for Sebring/Avenger through '09, I'm wondering if there's anything for the newer vehicle.

I would also not be opposed to looking at paint-matched body cladding kits. I don't want a bunch of stick-on chrome though.
Magnaflow, Corsa and Mopar all offer cat back exhausts for the 3.6L 200/Avenger (Mopar is a rebranded Corsa). Its not advertised on the Mopar website be cause they havent updated anything on there in ages.

#20 ·
Four months and 2,500 miles into the 2012 Chrysler 200, and the only flaw was that the gas cap tether just let go from the body or filler door, wherever it connects. It seems to snap into the door, but I can't get it to lock in. Wife is going to the dealer today.

If that's the worst anyone can say so far, this will turn out to be a great ownership experience.

Getting an average of 22 mpg so far, almost all city driving. Computer hits just over 31 mpg highway on long trips, about 19-21 on city driving.

#22 ·
I've driven it about 4 times, it's absolutely great. Extremely smooth and quiet, everything is easy to reach, read and use. A great car at a great price.

My wife only drives about 7,000 miles a year; I do about 18,000.

#23 ·
I feel the same about my Avenger. Everything seems to be in a easy spot to reach, and very simple to figure out.
Mick

#24 ·
I've got about 15k on my 2011..... Love it for the most part, the AFE display is about 2-3 MPG higher than actual on mine and the shifter trim doesnt stay in place which I need to get looked at next time I am at the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.