Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a well maintained '03 Touring Edition almost three years ago and have been quite happy with it - so much so that I'm thinking about adding a second Cruiser to the family. At the moment I have my eye on another '03 in similar shape with only 80k miles and recently replaced timing belt/water pump... but this one is a Turbo. In other respects it seems pretty much like our current Cruiser. If I go for it, I guess I can expect to feel more acceleration, spend a little more for gas and get slightly lower miles per gallon. Right so far? Anything else to know about Turbos in terms of maintenance and reliability?

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
It depends on how it is driven. Turbos don't really carry any fuel economy penalty at all, in fact under cruise conditions the turbo may fare better than N/A. Cooling and lubrication are important for longevity. So hopefully the cooling system and oil changes have been maintained. An automatic transaxle should have filter and fluid maintenance as well. Use ATF+4 only.
There was a dealer software flash to improve driveability.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/chrysler-pt-cruiser-2003-chrysler-pt-cruiser-hesitation-or-misfire

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/PENTICO/2010-02-26_031308_stratus.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comment. I test drove the Turbo yesterday, and it was a disappointment.The ride was much louder and rougher than our own Touring Edition. Don't know if that's related to the turbocharger and/or the thinner tires and/or a different trans, or just an indication of the way the car has been treated. The interior was worn and the engine compartment was really filthy. Our own Touring Edition, with almost twice as many miles on the odometer, looks and runs like it might have left the factory last month. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have a 2005 GT Turbo and it's been terrific. Bought new, it's had the usual maintainence. Oil has been changed normally and I have always used Mobil 1 since new. Never a moments problem with the engine or the automatic trans. Timing belt and water pump changed at about 80K.
The car has plenty of power and is a pleasure to drive. The ride is a bit firmer than the 2002 Touring Edition I had previously but no complaints with the car. The original equipment GoodYear tires were poor but replacement Michelin Pilot Exalto's took care of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts