Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, though I visit the website frequently. I have a mint condition 1979 Horizon TC3 with the VW 1.7L. I am looking for the lower portion of the thermostat housing (the part that mates to the block). I ordered a used one from car-parts.com (it was the only one in the country) but it's not quite right; it's longer and is missing one of the sensor ports. It might be for a regular Horizon or something.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping I can find someone who has one for the TC3! Parts for these cars are essentially non-existent. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
21,684 Posts
Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Since that's a VW engine, have you tried sourcing it from any VW parts suppliers? Maybe a vintage parts site?

·
Super Moderator
21,684 Posts
She can try a VW dealer, but I think that this part is different than what VW used on their cars. I believe that it is a dedicated Mopar part.
Any way to repair the old part?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Well, I'm not a mechanic and it's just an idea. I have no idea what fits what anymore with so many car lines crossing with others. I'm confused enough without having to think of all that! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
She can try a VW dealer, but I think that this part is different than what VW used on their cars. I believe that it is a dedicated Mopar part.
Any way to repair the old part?
That's long ago, but I remember something about the head on these engines were a Mopar spec head which I'm sure will make this a hard one to find.

·
Super Moderator
21,684 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Many years ago I repaired a VW Sirocco with a blown 1.6L by installing an L body 1.7L in it. I had to use the VW timing components, thermostat housing and valve cover along with the water pump and other ancillary parts. Everything fit and worked and the reason for having to use the VW timing components was clearance to the right side frame rail and mount. Could a VW housing be modified to work? I do not have either around to see the difference as my last 1.7L Omni (1981 Miser) is long gone.

Reactions: GLHS60
1 - 8 of 8 Posts