Allpar Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It does sound like you are missing the data buss info. Maybe the factory didn't bring it out to the transmission connector on your car.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
B10alia said:
I assume that the bus is OK, but now I'm not so sure, was there any major change in how the bus works from 1989 to 1995 on these vehicles, like the one that Bob Lincoln was up against?
There was a huge bus change in 92. Only 90-91 electronics will work with 90-91 computers. Likewise, 92+ electronics that used the bus will only work with 92+ computers.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
John-- I have the twisted pair of wires at the TDC, doesn't this mean there must be data there? I.E. how could the pin on the ECU be wired and have no data on it?
bamman-- I'm trying to get a hold of the person who sold me the Traveler to see what year it was from.
I think I've really angered some gremlins on this one. In addition to my oil pressure gauge not working, the parking lights do not work (but the turn signals do), cruise control has stopped working, and the hazards only work when they want to. Is any of this information related to the Traveler?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
B10alia said:
John-- I have the twisted pair of wires at the TDC, doesn't this mean there must be data there? I.E. how could the pin on the ECU be wired and have no data on it?
Simple, mopar used similar, if not the same, wiring harness for different applications. In an earlier post I mentioned to tap the CCD bus wires at the computer instead. The diagnostic connector that you are connecting it at may not be connected to anything. The transmission diagnostic connector was only used on 4 speed transmissions, if I remember correctly you have a 3 speed. Again, that connector may not be connected to anything.

As for the traveller, what is the part number on it?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
P/N was long lost, unfortunately...
Had an idea today-- I'm currently driving a '91 while I figure out my fuel pump wiring issues (long story). Anyway, the '91 has power windows and locks, reading lights, standard Message Center, and the "premium" seats. I assume that this is a "highline" car and has the "highline" ECU. My theory is that when Ma dropped all the "lines" for '95, she went to the lowliness computer, which might not have the bus enabled. Both cars have tachometers which work. If I put the '91 computer in my '95, could that reslove the Traveler issues? And will I need to switch tachs? I don't want to fry anything by putting higher voltages where they don't belong.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
There is no such thing as a premium and base ECU. There was only a premium and base BCM which the Dodge Spirit never got.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, in the course of working on the car's other gremlins, I ran a wire directly from the wires on the 60-way ECU connector through a small hole in the bulkhead to where I had tapped the transmission connector. I cut the wires from the transmission connector that I had added in, and joined them directly to the new wires. Still nothing. I poked them with my multimeter, and I'm showing a fluctuating voltage between them with the engine on and running, and nothing with the key in OFF. I didn't probe with the key just ON. Currently, the unit is showing C56 d3 F1-1. I assume now that I have a good data connection. My questions are these:
-Is this a problem potentially caused by cold solder joints in the unit?
-Was the Traveler available BEFORE the bus change, and if it was, are there any features which would identify it as such? It no longer has a S/N or P/N label.
-Does anyone know of any diagnostic manual that was ever available for these units? I would like to at least know what these codes mean.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
To my knowledge there is really only one way of identifying these units, and that is to find the part number on it. 89-91 will be 4437034 and 93-95 will be 4685041. Even if you take the unit apart to look at the circuit board part number, they will be the same.

The manual used to diagnose the traveler would be the Vehicle Communications (CCD Bus) manual. Here is one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321128349125

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Does anyone out there have a copy of this manual or access to it, maybe IC/OklahomaWolf?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, the manual I got makes no mention of fault codes in it ANYWHERE. All I got was a list of flow charts that require a DRB to run. The Traveler is obviously putting out fault codes, they aren't random and can be recreated reliably. I assume Chrysler didn't set the Traveler up to spit out numbers without having some kind of book or chart to identify what they mean. What I'm looking for is a chart like the one in the electrical manual that tells what the blink codes mean.
Publication number is 81-699-94027

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have some numbers from the board; i took it out to touch up the joints:
1411 ASSY is stamped on the display and main boards.
All the following from main:
1188 REVF
Main chip
(Motorola logo) 5268027
(C) CHRYCORP-86
71TJ89012

Smaller chip above main:
(Logo which looks like an H) 4374040
Z 9001

Transformer on main board:
273S027

Message center board has 1608 REVC and 1063ASSY

Does this make any sense to anyone?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
I'm thinking this is the correct CCD 2 traveller. One way to tell for certain is if you can find a chip marked CDP68HC68S1. It should be either a 14 or 20 pin chip.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Didn't see anything with that number on it. I had another "no dice" today. I went and retouched both the microprocessor and the other chip last night, and put a little extra solder on the pins just to be safe. My bus wires pulled off of the spade receptacles, so I soldered them back on. Not sure if they pulled loose or not again, but I think I have continuity. I'll verify this later, it's just too blasted hot here now to be mucking around with stuff that isn't necessary. Still no word on any of the codes I'm getting. I do know that the F1-1 means "Not active on bus" from my books, but the tests for the Traveler in the books that I've bought are essentially "verify that the wires are intact and that the bus is working". And to think i paid $30 for that information all told... I must have a bus signal because I'm seeing some voltage across the pins with my multimeter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Based on all the "90's" in those part numbers, I think that might be the year of manufacture...
I found another one on eBay. Here's the data label:
P/N 439(1)404(-)1 REV K
TMP VENDOR CODE 58172
DATE PRODUCED 07/22/91
I know that the suspension changes for MY '91 came in as a running change. Was this the same case with the bus change? And is that date late enough to correspond to MY '92 or is the hardware on that unit going to be set up for a 89-91 bus?

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
Given that date of manufacture, it almost has to be a 1992 model year part because that's right around change over time. As I understand it these came from an outside vendor so there would be a slight lag between production and the car being built.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks Mark. This should work with anything past '92 then, right?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well, the "new" unit is different. There are Torx screws on it matching those in other areas in the interior (gauge pod). The PCB's are visibly different, and the main microprocessor has "(C) CHRYCORP '90" on it instead of "86" on it. The blasted thing still doesn't work. As soon as I started the engine, I got the "F1-1". There was some other data on there, too, some number in ET (57:something) and 99.9 MPG. Over 1900 miles DTE. Reset it, and I now have zeroes except the DTE, which is STILL over 1000 miles despite the tank being a quarter full. And of course, F1-1. Interestingly, the unit appears to think that the DTE is correct, as it shows some equivalent number of kilometers. At least the other unit had a DTE that was close (max range 396 miles, which corresponds well to my 25MPG average). I can still access the apparently meaningless trouble codes by holding US/M. These are different, I'm now getting C9 d0.
I just unplugged the ground harness so I don't have the thing taunting me. After over $100 and zero progress all summer, I am in the mood for a little "Estwing diagnosis" right now. If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'm all ears. The only things I can think of are bad solder joints, a borked Traveler, or more bus errors...

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Update on my progress, installing the 1987-88 EVIC in the 1993 Daytona:

I removed the compartment below the radio, carved the plastic trim edges of the EVIC with a Dremel tool to get it to fit in the cavity, and rigged the existing screws to hold it, albeit at an angle. I tapped into the 12V batt, ignition and ground that runs my fire scanner as well as the car radio, and the EVIC does power up and display the correct day, date and time, and elapsed time. It still shows zero mpg instantaneous and average, as well as distance, because I ran out of time/daylight yesterday. I rigged signal wires from the EVIC which I have to splice to the speed sensor and fuel gauge wires at the BCM, a simple task that will take no more than 1/2 hour.

As for the fuel injector signal, as I said before, it is at the logic module in my 1984, but not at the BCM for my 1993 (because the 1993 had a serial bus that carried the injector data). So I'll have to rig a signal off the fuel injector somehow. In the 1984, I was puzzled that when I put a scope on the EFI signal, it showed an amplitude of only 0.4V, which seems impossible. I'm thinking now that I should have unplugged the signal wire from the EVIC and then probed it with a scope, that the EVIC and scope loads together dragged it down. So I'll recheck the 1984 signal and see what I get. Meantime, I expect that when I connect the speed sensor and fuel gauge, I'll get an average mpg reading.

For mechanical mounting, I have scrap plastic strips that I cut out of one of the console compartments, that I'll custom-cut and drill, and glue with epoxy, to make proper mounting tabs so that the EVIC will line up properly in the console stack. This could take about a week, will post pictures when done.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
OK, so I was only able to hook up the fuel gauge input last night. Interestingly, I get the following results, mostly understandable without the speed sensor input:

Instaneous mpg: 99.9
Average mpg: 0.0
Fuel consumed: 0.0 (and stayed this way over a 37 mile trip)
Range: started at 322 miles when I first powered the unit, then dropped to 144 miles when I connected the fuel gauge - which was at 1/2 tank). Over a 37 mile trip it dropped to 125 miles.
ETA: 0
Dest: 0
Speed: 0
Trip: Trip completed
E/T: Continuously counted time from when I powered up the EVIC

So I expected that the gas mileage would not read without the speed sensor input. Average 0 mpg makes sense, because it divides 0 miles by gallons used, but 99.9 mpg instantaneous suggests that the reading is based on the fuel consumed, which constantly shows zero - so it's dividing by zero.

It's odd that the fuel consumed will not register without a speed sensor input. Idling should be counted. Must be the way the logic is set up.

On my 84, the speed sensor signal is at the logic module, making it a breeze to connect. On my 93, the BCM does not have a speed sensor pin, only the SBEC (a.k.a., PCM or ECM). So I'm going to grab the signal behind the instrument cluster.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
OK, I connected the speed sensor input, and I still do not have instantaneous or average mpg readings. Apparently the fuel injector signal is also required by the logic design of these computers. Interestingly, when I connected the speed sensor, the mpg readings inverted:

Instaneous mpg: 0.0
Average mpg: 99.0

This confirms that a logic state toggled. So I'll have to figure out how to connect the fuel injector signal and scale it.
I do now have the Speed and Trip functions.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts