Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find the build history on my 1970 RT/SE, which was built in Los Angeles. I know some of the original options, but do not have the fender tag. Is there some source that i can get in contact with, which when given the VIN number, they can tell me the options that the car came with? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
I emailed Chrysler about my cars, and was told they only go back 20 years on this. Less than 20 years, they email you a text-format build sheet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob. The records must be out there somewhere. There was a guy in Wisconsin, that used to validate the originality of Mopars. Can't remember his name at the moment, but in order to authenticate an original, I don't see how you could do it without the factory info.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I have used the Chrysler Historical Society for VIN records and was a member of the WPC museum for some years. I had heard that they stopped this VIN data service after the bankruptcy because of cut-backs. I don't know if the service still exists, but the website is still here:
http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=400

I was also a member of the WPC club. Most monthly newsletters featured a different year/make and gave very detailed information on options, build numbers, ad reprints, etc. I'm pretty sure that back issues would be available covering your car. You might need to be a member for this. The club was well worth the price of admission for fellowship and part/service leads:
http://www.chryslerclub.org/index.html

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
You are thinking of Galen Govier, but he doesn't have the factory records. For most cars they simply don't exist any more. If you don't have a fender tag and can't find the build sheet somewhere in the car, you are probably out of luck. Other manufacturers did keep the records by VIN, but Chrysler either never kept them or purged them somewhere along the line.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Looking closer, the website states that Chrysler Historical Services VIN build records are from 1930-1967 for cars (trucks until 1950): http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=400
Someone, somewhere may have saved these other records, but hasn't come forward yet.
I did get a copy of the IBM punchcard for my '66 Crown Coupe and the selling dealer in the Chicago area. The personalized dash plaque gave me a name to look for in the phone book and I was able to make contact with the surviving original owner. She drove a Concorde until recently. I sent her a picture of me and the car and she was just over-joyed. The car was their 20th wedding anniversary present to themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for the help. I'll keep searching. Maybe I can search backwards, through the D.O.T. and maybe the dealership that sold it, still exists, and has kept a copy of the options sticker/data

1 - 7 of 7 Posts