Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
In advance thank you for reading this. I recently purchased a 1984 DODGE Daytona/ Chrysler Laser PPG Pace Car. The car is Red in color. I tried to post a picture but couldn't get it to come up. Will keep working on this. I am in search of any information or guidance to locate the history of this car. My goal is to show the car in AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America). But, I need a lot of information to get the car certified. Any help provided, would be greatly appreciated. Everyone I have talked to tells me I should come here first. I have done some searches, but didn't turn up anything of significance.
If you remember seeing an ad on the car way back in the 80's, please let me know. You may know something you think would not be helpful, and it actually may very well be to me. Thank you for your time.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
That car has been floating around auctions for a bit. Neat car.

PPG sponsored the Indy series then and they built multiple vehicles from multiple brands to use as pace vehicles through out the season. I would start there.

Neat car, special for sure.

Mike

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I don't have any real information but Hot Rod Magazine did a 2.2 Engine review book around 1985 and it has great info on some of the PPG cars.

I remember it says the first ones were based on L body chassis and the later ones were built on 4 dr. K car chassis.

The book is probably worth locating as it was written when the PPG cars were current, not decades after.

Post some pictures when you get a chance!!

Thanks
Randy
2.2 HOT ROD BOOK.JPG

·
Valued Member
2,290 Posts
1984-PPG-Pace-Car[1].jpg
1984 Dodge CART/PPG Indy Car Series Pace Car

Chrysler Shelby Collection

Lot No. 201

Auctioned on Friday, March 27, 2015

Sold for $ 16,500

Before “The Split” between the newly-formed Indy Racing League (IRL) and the established Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) in 1996; Indy Car racing was the top of the racing world in the United States and was a point of concern for even the denizens of the world of Formula One. With drivers such as A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, Al Unser, Jr., Mario and Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, Bobby Rahal, Emerson Fittipaldi, Gordon Johncock, Johnny Rutherford and Danny Sullivan (to name a few) at the forefront of the American race fans focus, PPG Industries decided to showcase their business in the form of one-off pace cars in association with American manufacturers.

Money was freely spent and the entire Indy Car series was sponsored by PPG Industries during this period. All of the cars were painted in unique finishes provided by PPG’s Automotive Finishes Group to withstand the punishment of wheel-to-wheel competition on grueling road courses and high speed oval tracks, just as the machines they paced to the green flag. This writer worked as a CART official over a 13-year period that included the 1984 season, and can attest to the high-quality presentation and presence of this particular Dodge, and all of its fellow PPG Pace Cars during the series’ heyday.

When not on track starting a race; the PPG Pace Cars were driven by an assortment of accomplished female racecar drivers during the course of the race weekend. They were often seen all-together on the track as these skilled drivers performed tight and structured maneuvers at speed or were lined up to give fans and VIPs a thrill ride with the opportunity to see the racetrack from the cockpit. When not on track, the PPG Pace Cars were handsomely displayed in a prominent location next to the gleaming custom 18-wheelers that transported them nationwide as the season unfolded. The PPG Pace Cars became nearly synonymous to the Indy Cars; you could count on them being on-site in force.

The PPG Pace Car Team featured well-known women racecar drivers who were all competitors in other forms of motorsports. This team of formidable drivers wheeled the one-of-a-kind, high-tech, high performance machines around the track at all races on the CART circuit. Members of this team included Robin McCall-Dallenbach, Jodi Dangel, Kathy Rude-Hemrath, Tricia Hessinger, Patty Moise, Alice Ridpath, Margie Smith-Haas, Lyn St. James, Desiré Wilson and Jane Smith. This car is accompanied by one of Jane Smith’s uniforms along with numerous pieces of memorabilia from the era and its time in the spotlight.

This fleet of cars was the subject of a feature article in Automobile Quarterly titled ‘Radical Sleek,’ such was the positive crowd response to the lineup and wanting to know more about them. The Dodge runs with a 2.2-liter four-cylinder with numerous modifications and is mated to a five-speed manual transmission. While the cars were upgraded in many respects, they also had amenities like three-tone leather, air conditioning, power steering and power brakes. Race-bred equipment includes a fuel cell, Aeroquip-type fittings and plumbing, shock tower brace, Ronal magnesium wheels, Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires, three-inch competition-style safety belts, console, CB radio and Panasonic radio controls. As with all of the PPG Pace Cars, there is an overhead amber strobe light and critical (for officials at the race track) communications equipment that allowed the pace car driver to be in touch with race control for picking up the proper driver in a yellow flag situation and to know the correct lap for starts and restarts.

CART/PPG Pace Cars were small in total number produced, with each car being a total one-off build. In period, this writer spoke during a race weekend with the then-Chairman of PPG Industries, Fred Rhue, about the final destination of these vehicles when they were retired. He conveyed that, as with many one-off vehicles from manufacturers, they would likely be destroyed. Whether this actually occurred with other examples is unknown, but this Dodge has survived and is a wonderful illustration of the genre.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will try and locate the book. Yes it has been around the auction block a few times. Would love to find the person who put it up for auction in Florida. I didn't buy it then, but thought they may have more information. I'm slowly finding a few things here and there. Chrysler/Fiat apparently lost all of the archives or they were destroyed, so I can't find any information from them.

I also have a Joe Varde car 1983 Shelby Race Car, it was the 02 car to the 01 Joe Varde. I'm thinking of selling. I have no idea on how to price it... Always a problem.

Anyone know how to get in touch with someone from PPG?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Administrator
35,539 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any real information but Hot Rod Magazine did a 2.2 Engine review book around 1985 and it has great info on some of the PPG cars.

I remember it says the first ones were based on L body chassis and the later ones were built on 4 dr. K car chassis.

The book is probably worth locating as it was written when the PPG cars were current, not decades after.

Thanks
Randy
View attachment 5766

Anyone have a copy of this book?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks
Randy
View attachment 5766

Thanks
Randy
View attachment 5766

Randy,

I'm trying to find out what the ISBN # is on this book. Would you have access to the book to find out?

Thanks
Tammy

·
Valued Member
2,290 Posts

Thanks
Randy
View attachment 5766
I remember the L-body version which was red & white which we did the engine for. Don't remember any K-car versions.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Randy,

I'm trying to find out what the ISBN # is on this book. Would you have access to the book to find out?

Thanks
Tammy
Hi Tammy, I don't think I'm much help as the ISBN 71486 02418 didn't show up on any search I did.

Their also is a 0 in front of the lines and a 02 above the 2nd set of lines on the bar code.

Also there is a Peterson 5084-8 if that's any help.

If any other numbers are needed feel free to ask!!

Thanks
Randy.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I remember the L-body version which was red & white which we did the engine for. Don't remember any K-car versions.
It does mention the the original Red one an based on an L body.

I quoted the above magazine on the Blue PPG car on the cover as based on a 4 door K car platform.

While it states it was built on a 4 dr K car a few times, it also states it used a G body windshield.

The article goes into much detail about the blue one having wider track with extended lower control arms.

The rear is also wider with spacers and shows a trailing axle design, ala K car, Daytona.

Much different from the L body with its unique trailing arm semi independent rear suspension.

What do I know, I'm just reading a magazine but you were there!!!

Any stories on your work on the early 2.2 Engines??

The article shows a picture of what I think is the red cars Turbocharged Engine.

Any info is appreciated, everyone likes the V8's but some of us love the 2.2 as well !!!

Thanks
Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts