Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and I'm trying to find a 360 to swap with my 318 for a 1969 Plymouth Satellite. I just really need the block and the heads to work with. I'm going for a rebuild and just want a solid starting point. So if you know anyone with an old block laying around please let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
They are extremely common, try Craigslist or a salvage yard, and remember, you will need the counterbalance for the torque converter and passenger side motor mount bracket to do the swap, along with the exhaust manifolds.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Luckily I have a few Mopar friends to help me with the build. I'm down in South Florida and there are only two junkyards close to me that actually let you wander around and look for stuff. I was lucky enough to find a 69 Coronet there right after I got my Satellite. Unfortunately they leave the cars there for about four months before they crush them and get new "oldies" and they haven't got any mopars in lately. I guess i'm just impatient and I know that someone has one lying around that they don't want. But like you said I'm sure if I'm more pro active I could find something.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yes, a rather common engine (as dana44 lamented.) :innocent: . It would be a bonus if whatever you find has near-zero ridges on cylinders and that could save a great deal in rebuild cost. ie. no boring, re-sizing, pin-fitting and of course replacement pistons. But, all this wouldn't matter if you are intent on a major rebuild with upgrades. I happen to have a complete (but dismantled) '73 long-block, worth only $50. to me, but regrettfully I live about as far from you as Seattle. Just be patient and see what materializes. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I was able to snag a '76 360 off of craigslist. The engine was diassembled. I got the block, heads, crank, rods and pistons, and weiand intake for $150.00. It looks in pretty good shape. I'll have to take it to a machinist to get checked out. By chance do any of you guys know what sized pistons were in the original engine. I'm pretty sure the banged up pistons that came with it are aluminum. there is a stamp on one of them that says 4.038. Just curious. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The 360 is a 4.00 inch bore. The stamping on the top may be a casting number or more likely a stamped number in the top of the piston. That is just too odd a bore overbore to even consider accurate.Stroke should be 3.58inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts