Allpar Forums banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
dana44 said:
Moog is right in the middle, although TRW does make good bearings and spacecraft parts, only TRW part I ever had a problem with was a camshaft back in the late 70s, it was bent, otherwise, a safe brand.
Hey Dana,
Have decided to go with Spicer/Raybestos Professional Grade Tie Rod Ends, and Upper & Lower Ball Joints. Am having a bit of a problem finding the Raybestos Professional Grade Lower Ball Joints. Have gone to the Raybestos Webpage and done a "Contact Us" query about 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Raybestos Professional Grade Lower Ball Joint Parts Number. They are supposed to get back to me ASAP. We will see.
dana44 said:
Yes, the U bolts on the springs is very similar to the spring compressor, just easier to get a couple in there and tighten down than the long rods and big hooks sometimes.
Am going to have to REALLY familiarize myself about how to do this before actually attempting to do the deed.
dana44 said:
A couple weeks ago they actually showed a 1960 Ford Galaxy 500 having the springs put in and out and cut to lower the car on Fast and Loud, they had it on a lift and used a transmission extension jack from the floor to the lower control arm, removed the bolts at the frame, then lowered the jack nice and slow, twice, and no spring fling or damage coming out or going in.
The 1964 Ford and Mercury Shop Manual has a procedure list on how to do this also, but they don't have the vehicle up on a lift. They have it where the Tires are 8" off the floor, and the Jack they use is a Floor Jack.

This ought to be pretty interesting.

Have gotten the ENTIRE Steering Linkage disassembled, and almost everything cleaned up to where it looks like NEW parts. Will be taking everything to Chassis Services and having them remove the OLD Bushings and install the NEW Bushings in the Center Link Idler End, and the Idler Arm Bracket. While all the stuff is there, am going to see if they will inspect/test the Tie Rods to see if their Ball Joints are alright. If they aren't am going to have to replace the ENTIRE Tie Rod. Also, am going to have them inspect/test the Center Link to see if its Ball Joint is alright. If it isn't will have to replace the Center Link.

The next step in this caper is to remove the Brake Assemblies, disassemble, clean, paint, reassemble and then reinstall them after the Ball Joints are replaced.

Will keep you all updated on progress, if and when any occurs.

JC

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
68RT said:
Not your age yet. Still some to go and still putting in time on the job.
Hey Mr. 68RT,
We started about the same time, only YOU were somewhat younger then me at the time.
68RT said:
wouldn't mind having my 49 Chevy Sedan delivery back. It was a $50 acquisition.
My first car was a 1931 Model A Two-Door Victoria Sedan with six Kelsey Hayes 21" Spoked Wheels (there were two spares, one in each of the wells in the front Fenders just ahead of the Door Hinges). Found it in Pomona, California and got it for $75.00!
68RT said:
Or, a 54 Dodge Coronet Red Ram for $500.
My second car was a 1942 Mercury that in fourteen years had gotten 1,400 miles on it. Paid $100.00 for it.
68RT said:
Started working on cars when I was 12 (41 Chrysler head gasket) and went full time in a service station at 16. All of which is basically impossible these days.
I worked in a Texaco Station when I was 17, but YOU were doing actual mechanics work. I didn't do that.
68RT said:
Learned to drive in a 1950 Chrysler Royal and since I started in service stations in the early 60's, I worked on and or drove almost every fifties or upto the mid-sixties era car. We were a full service station doing brakes, tuneups, valve jobs, clutches and servicing all of them so I had to drive them to test or deliver them to customers (delivery now days!).
So you've been pretty intensely involved with automobile mechanics all your life. I went from being interested in cars (hot rods) to being a sign painter, sign designer, then into commercial art, and then into entertainment, and then into to TV production. Now that I'm retired, have gotten more into messing with these two old vehicles again.
68RT said:
Went to trade school in the mid sixties for auto mechanic and ended up in heavy duty. Hung up the wrenches about 76 and now sell parts for them.
You've had a very concentrated career in the automobile industry.

Anyway, am enjoying ending up my life working on old cars. Have had a bunch of interesting cars AND motorcycles. Had the 31 Model A, a 42 Merc, a 47 Oldsmobile, a 59 Studebaker Hawk, a couple of VW Karmann Ghias, a VW Bus, a 64 Chevrolet, a 67 Fiat Abarth OT1000 Bertone Spyder, an 81 Camaro Z28, a couple of Kawasaki Mach lll 500s in the late 60s, a couple of Kawaskai LTD 1100 B1 Shafts in the mid 80s, Lorrie Van Haul (67 Dodge P200 Postal Van) since 1975, and Ms. American (1964 Ford Galaxie) since 1986.

Wish I had all of those old things NOW. They'd be really rare these days. But when I had them, they were just cars.

Anyway, we are in full clean up mode around here with Ms. American's Front Suspension and Steering rebuild. Am going to be ordering parts next week.

Will keep you all updated.

JC

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
JC, the only difference between 8 inches and the height of a car lift is the amount you have to bend your back and speed of components travelling to the ground, but the same process.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
dana44 said:
JC, the only difference between 8 inches and the height of a car lift is the amount you have to bend your back and speed of components traveling to the ground, but the same process.
Hey Dana,
There is one other difference and that is I can manage to get Ms. American UP 8" off the ground. Would be GREAT to have a Lift. Alas.

So the day started here with thunder to the West and forecast of rain. But nothing came of it. Sun is out, skies are blue with wispy white clouds skipping around. Nice day out.

Have been continuing to clean Ms. American's Steering Linkage.

Hope you are having a GREAT weekend.

JC

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
You, too, and Happy Easter to all.

·
Registered
682 Posts
and a happy Easter to all ...
my first car was a $75 Dodge Dart. Never got to drive it. Sold it, about five years after Dad found it, for $300.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Hey All,
Friday Afternoon Update:

Got Lorrie Van Haul's Removable Floor and Engine Cabinetry reinstalled.

To make sure that everything is alright, Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six Engine got started. It started right up with a single pump on the Accelerator to set the Choke.

Lorrie is (hopefully ) back! It has been a remarkable almost five years of intense building.

Will occasionally post some of her escapades. Watch for them.

JC

·
Premium Member
20,250 Posts
Thanks for the update, and glad she is alright.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
dana44 said:
Thanks for the update, and glad she is alright.
Hey Dana,
The NEXT thing that needs doing is having Lorrie's Rear Bumper leveled. It got reinstalled slightly askew when the guy installed the Trailer Hitch. Am going to have the neighbor with the Welding Shop fix the slight droop in the Diamond Deck Plate Bumper.

And then will just have to see if Lorrie will be alright from now on.

Will keep you updated on developments.

JC

68RT said:
Now you can't fall out the floor. drive her with care and take care of yourself.
Hey Mr. 68RT,
There was little chance of falling through the floor. The Removable Section is only about 10" wide, and is removable just to gain access to the Distributor, Spark Plugs, and Master Brake Cylinder. Also, the HEI System is mounted under that section of the Floor.

Anyway, be well.

JC

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
BlackSheep01 said:
Good news about Lorrie!
Hey Mr. B,
Yes, thank you. :)

Am going to be asking her to take me to run the weekly errands. This will be the first time for her being out in TOTALLY finished form, with the Removable Floor, and Engine Cabinetry in.

Running the weekly errands this week includes a twenty mile round trip to a place called Chassis Services where we're going to get a Bushing removed from Ms. American's Center Link, and a Bushing pressed back in and a Bushing pressed into the Idler Arm Bracket. With THAT done, we'll be able to temporarily install the Steering Linkage, and then am going to MOVE Ms. American to a better location in which to replace the Passenger Side Front Suspension Lower Ball Joint.

"It's always something." (Gilda Radner as Roseanna Danna Danna)

You take care, you hear?

JC

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks. The 1997 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 4x2 318 automatic is going (back) to the shop tomorrow.
Growling grinding sound in front brakes. :( I have no tools / lift / ramps ... thanks, kids. Sigh.)
Also, the backfire is back. New plugs & wires not fixing this. Gonna ask the guys to drive it 2 or 3 times,
letting it set up in between. We had a great weekend ... but it's time for a new sticker and at least two
of those tires ain't gonna pass....

161 - 173 of 173 Posts