Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all that time rebuilding the 89' N/A and almost two weeks chasing the electrical gremlins to get it running like a top, I drove the car to work. I came out at lunch and seen a 6" + circle under the car, WTH.. :facepalm: Looked under it, oil coming from between the tranny and block, rear main or freeze plug or oil pan gasket..

I'm guessing rear main... Lost a quart of oil over 110 miles of driving it today.... Not so happy!!! Of course it runs like a top!! but I hate oil leaks, especially after all new seals and repair sleeves.. Not looking forward to pulling the tranny. :( :blush:

I go in the field for 10 days on Friday, so the next two weekends are shot!! This really sucks.. So much for getting ahead on my 86' T-top engine rebuild. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
If it's the oil pan gasket, you can fix it with the engine in the car. Which gasket did you use, one-piece or 4-piece? RTV in the corners?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's the oil pan gasket, you can fix it with the engine in the car. Which gasket did you use, one-piece or 4-piece? RTV in the corners?
4 piece, and rtv in the corners.. all rubber gasket from fel-pro. doubt it's the gasket. car hasn't leaked a drop in the two weeks I've been running it in the garage chasing the electrical gremlins. Car would avg. 30 minutes of run time over a full day of "gremlin chasing". Only started leaking once I really got to drive it. :angry:

If I get home at a decent hour tomm. I'll pull the lower inspection shield on the tranny, clean it up and drive it for about 5-10 miles and see if I can pin point it. Till then, can't afford $3.99 a quart of oil a day to drive it.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, and she's waiting on her income tax check now. Guess I need to hurry. the other 89, the shelby should be also sold once their taxes come in. Should only have the 87 Shelby Z and 86 C/S after Feb.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My '88 Shelby Z is awaiting it's new owner also.
More waiting on their income tax check.....
I'll be down to the '89 Daytona Shelby and '90 Daytona ES next month.
Wish your luck on fixing these things would get better.
Can't get much worse. :blink:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Anyone want to buy a Sebring Convertible?
No. Replaced the '88 Shelby Z with project resto 1989 Plymouth Horizon already. :D
I'm skipping over a lot of the Daimler Chrysler year products Chrysler had.
I'll keep buying my old 1980's ones for now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's an '01 Sebring. Damlier or not it was the better looking of the Sebrings. :)
Sorry but a Daytona looks a lot better than a Sebring LOL. :)
And by the way.
You need to go down and look at the 2011 Jeep Compass.
You'll drive your '08 into the nearest river after seeing it.
Such an improved vehicle.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
I'm guessing its the rear main that is leaking. If the freeze plug went then you'd be loosing much more oil, trust me I know. :)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Be sure to check the oil pressure sending unit. These notoriously leak. Airflow could be forcing it around the side and making it look like the oil is coming in below the the tranny/engine.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian and I got the tranny out tonight. Yep rear main leaking. Was leaking between the seal and housing. An area where the anaerobic sealant didn't seal.. I'm using RTV on the seal from now on, always have and have never had it leak. Light coat though. I will use the anaerobic on the housing to the block though...

Now to get the tranny back in tomm. :)

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well all put together and so far so good. NO LEAKS>. Now let's keep it that way!

Brian and I found that keeping the engine level w/ the tranny coming off or going back on and removing the front engine mount and pulling the left front or tranny towards the front, twisting the right engine mount, made life so much easier clearing the k-member..

After we got everything back together, we started it up, after about 20 seconds, Brian's yelling, "shut it down".. Oh no, what now.. :facepalm: LOL.. I had capped the ATF cooler lines on the tranny, well they let loose and had ATF everywhere.. LMAO.. Guess we forgot to hook the oil cooler lines up.. All is good though..

It's now parked in the driveway, hope to not see any surprises in the morning..

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well no oil dripping when I checked it this morning. took it for a drive today. Came home, and wouldn't you know it? It's leaking again! :facepalm: Not nearly as bad, but enough to drive me nuts..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts