I am building a "Low Buck" slant six powered race car. The idea is to see how quick it can go, for the least amount of money, and be something that anyone could basicly copy. Not to be copied exactly, copy the idea, and adjust according to the bargains they find. I started this December 2004
66 Valiant 225 engine, automatic $100.00 Salvage yard
set of V-8 headers in the trunk sold - $50.00
Rings 9.95 E-bay
Main bearings 25.00 E-bay
Rod bearings set 4.25 E-bay
Cam bearings set 5.50 Ebay
Timing set Blue Racer 9.95 E-bay
Gasket Set 24.95
New Crane cam 460 lift 290* dur no cost, traded for a used head, from an engine that was free
Lifters 18.00 E-bay
Oil pump 9.95 E-bay
Headers clifford shorty with pipes 100.00 Parts for sale on a mopar site
Offie intake 65.00 e-Bay
Edelbrock 500 50.00 Private purchase
Nitrous system 100.00 Swap meet
New recon head 99.95 E-bay
Total so far $572.50
Mopar performance dual springs and retainers $134.64 Koller dodge
Spring seat cutter $64.68 Comp Cams
Push rods $12.00 Discontinued stock from a Massey Fergusson tractor dealer on e-bay
PST front end kit $100 Parts for sale section of slantsix.com
NEW TOTAL $883.32
The engine parts were all cleaned with "purple power". All the special tools to build the engine, such as ridge reamer, cyl hone, ring groove cleaner, etc. were "borrowed" from auto zone, with a refundable deposit, except for the cam bearing installer. I have one of my own, but for someone else, that is the only thing, that would have to be farmed out.
Got the cam degreed in. It fell in at 1* advanced at 106 degrees, without haveing to adjust it. Measured my deck hight and cc'ed the head. have to run the numbers, and see what my compression ratio is. Set the head on the block, with checking valve springs, to check valve to piston clearence, and see if I have to cut down the guides, for retainer clearance. Will do that over the weekend. Still need to cut the spring seats for dual springs.
Compression ratio is 8.2 to 8.5
The deck hight is .170-.173 and the head cc's range from 53-56, with a gasket thickness of .021
Well, it looks like the $800 budget is going to take a hit. I completed the cylinder head, but ran into a glitch. This is something novice engine builders most times over look. It has been awhile since I built an engine from scratch, rather then a refresh, and I fell victim, also. A cam needs a matching valve train. My freebe Crane cam, needed dual valve springs. I had planned on using 340 springs and retainers, but they were nowhere near enough tension. I wound up using Mopar performance springs, #P3412068, and retainers #P4529823. Had them in stock, but cost was $134.64.That brings the total to $707.14. Along with this, I had to machine the spring seats for the dual springs. I had the tool on hand, but otherwise this would require the purchase of the tool from Comp cams for $64.68, cutter and arbor, or have a machine shop do the job. I did not cut the valve guides, as there was no interferance, with the retainers at max lift, and I used stock seals, cut down with a sissors, to fit inside the spring. The cutter to cut the guides is $45.99.
The engine is now assembled, on the stand with the intake and headers on for a trial fit.
I have started cleaning surface rust fom the inside of the car, prior to painting.
That is where it is at today 1-11-06 Hope to have it running in time for the memorial day race at South Georgia Motorsports Park