Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pressure guage on my '90 Grand Voyager (3.3 V-6) has started reading to the very low side lately, then comes back up to where it should be...When I start the car everything's fine, then sometimes (this is an intermittent problem) as the car warms up, the pressure guage drops off to where at idel, it's right on the line between low and normal.....Ideas? Is this just a sender, or it it the onset of the notorious "Chrysler Dash" problem? Could the pick up screen be getting gummed up? The car has a tad over 100k on it, but in 30 years of driving, I've never had a screen clog on me. I doubt it's the pump itself...at least I'm hoping so, because whoever designed the oil pump on the 3.3 really should have their head examined!! Thanks for any help or ideas!

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
Does the engine make any noise that indicates it's running dry or low on oil pressure? Any knocking? If not, check the wire to the sending unit. If OK, replace the sending unit. They often fail by gradually drifting low in their reading.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. runs and sounds just as it always does, just that the oil pressure guage reads low sometimes....This afternoon it was reading low, then suddenly went up to normal when I was sitting at a light.....Have to do an oil change anyway, so I'll pick up a new sender while I'm at NAPA.....How do you guys feel about that engine flush stuff? My van is driven mostly short distances, so sludge may be building up....I had the pan off last year and cleaned the glop out, but was thinking of throwing in a can of flush like every third oil change just to play it safe....

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,665 Posts
I think I only used an engine flush once, can't remember why though or which engine. Unless you getting signs of it sludging up I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably wouldn't hurt if you're going to change the oil anyway.

+1 on the sending unit. I had a '86 Le Baron GTS where the oil pressure gauge starting reading low and acting abnormal. Found it to be seeping oil. Replaced it and the readings went back to normal. As long as the engine isn't knocking it's the sensor and not actually low oil pressure. You could put a mechanical gauge on it to verify, but in 99% of these cases it's the sensor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Will try to change it this weekend, will ley you know how it pans out....might be seeping, I see some very small oil stains on the driveway lately....

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
A good working PCV system is important to sludge control. Use an OEM PCV valve if you can. The rubber hose plumbing for the breather and PCV should also be checked for hard or soft rubber, swelling and cracks which can lose vacuum and introduce unfiltered air into the intake or crankcase. A crankcase running at a slight vacuum can reduce oil leaks.
Try to locate the source of the oil leak. Oil usually drips down and rearward on an engine. I doubt that the pickup screen is plugged. As long as the red 'ck gauges' or low oil pressure symbol isn't lighting then the oil pressure should be still within safe limits.
100K can still be young.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts