Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
If they are using CA law, they should also use CA testing procedure.
If CA a vehicle is tested in real time, meaning the test station has no control over the results, the vehicle is hooked up to the State computer and information is fed directly to Sacramento. The station operator serves no purpose other than to connect the computer to the car and collect the fee. Pass or Fail is determined by the machine. Once connected it is considered under test, there is no do-over.
It's intrusive, but it eliminates cheating.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how it's done here. The only way you can cheat is to enter the VIN of the car under test, and put a probe into another, known good car. And normally they don't measure emissions anymore, they look for fault codes using OBDII. Only if there is a fault code do they measure emissions. Older than 1996, no emissions required, safety only.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I'm surprised that MA uses private auto repair facilities to also test emissions. Here in AZ, the test stations are privately operated, but they were government-constructed and do nothing but testing, no maintenance or repair. The state also maintains a couple of government-run testing facilities for "waiver" type testing, and one can visit the waiver station after failing a test at the normal facility.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
That's how it's done here. The only way you can cheat is to enter the VIN of the car under test, and put a probe into another, known good car. And normally they don't measure emissions anymore, they look for fault codes using OBDII. Only if there is a fault code do they measure emissions. Older than 1996, no emissions required, safety only.
I think it's similar here in VA. Not sure as not all areas of the state require emissions tests - our county is exempt. Mostly areas of northern VA and maybe Norfolk/VA Beach areas. Don't even bother if the CEL is on - automatic fail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They don't even have safety checks here in Ohio where I live. Some people drive rusted out jalopies pouring smoke out of the tailpipes. If they'd buy decent cars and maintain them, emissions wouldn't be a problem. But some people want to only buy $500-$1000 cars and you get what you pay for. But the gas mileage must be terrible on these worn out cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Doug D said:
I think it's similar here in VA. Not sure as not all areas of the state require emissions tests - our county is exempt. Mostly areas of northern VA and maybe Norfolk/VA Beach areas. Don't even bother if the CEL is on - automatic fail.
Same here in Arizona where emissions tests are done; Phx/Tucson metro areas only.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
That's the big difference, there is no VIN entered, the VIN is stored in the OBDII. The computer tells the test machine the VIN and the emissions, the tech is unable to manipulate the test. CA no longer uses probes, except on older vehicles without OBD.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the computer reads the VIN from OBDII here. I just don't have an OBDII car myself, which is why I didn't think to mention it. My newest vehicle is 20 years old.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
Yes, the computer reads the VIN from OBDII here. I just don't have an OBDII car myself, which is why I didn't think to mention it. My newest vehicle is 20 years old.
What about your wife's 200? I know for certain it is ODBII. Or do you not consider it "your" car?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope, not mine. It's hers. I get to drive it about twice a month on short trips. And she took it for inspection recently. I assume they just plug into the OBDII and get the VIN as well as any fault codes.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
Nope, not mine. It's hers. I get to drive it about twice a month on short trips. And she took it for inspection recently. I assume they just plug into the OBDII and get the VIN as well as any fault codes.
Yep. OBDII cars "turn themselves in" ;)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Rhode Island is supposed to at least do a "visual" emissions check on older vehicles, but shops often don't care. I know people that run muffler-less, cat-less, or just no exhaust at all and they have little issue getting inspected.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
AutoTechnician said:
Rhode Island is supposed to at least do a "visual" emissions check on older vehicles, but shops often don't care. I know people that run muffler-less, cat-less, or just no exhaust at all and they have little issue getting inspected.
I'm guessing there are very few 20+ YO vehicles left on the road there and the survivors are usually in good condition, rust would've claimed the rest.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know for a fact that most inspection facilities don't even look to see if a catcon is still there in pre-OBDII cars, no matter their condition. And there are a fair number of older cars still around.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
I know for a fact that most inspection facilities don't even look to see if a catcon is still there in pre-OBDII cars, no matter their condition. And there are a fair number of older cars still around.
That is odd. I can understand looking the other way on 'antique' vehicles in other decent condition i.e. 30 years old or older but, a 1995 isn't that 'old'.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Sometimes I wish that the rules on equipment for older vehicles would be relaxed, even if the sampling results still had to be adhered to. Let me figure out how to pass the test as newer technologies come about.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
TWX said:
Sometimes I wish that the rules on equipment for older vehicles would be relaxed, even if the sampling results still had to be adhered to. Let me figure out how to pass the test as newer technologies come about.
It's goofy in the Phx area since there's no equipment check on any 1981-95 vehicle under 8,500 lbs GVW outside of the evap control system, just a sniff test. Several light duty trucks passed despite having their catalysts deleted. Yet there are equipment checks on 1975-80 models.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
In upstate NY, we plug the '96-newer vehicle into the NYVIP machine with the entered repair order#, VIN, tag# and vehicle description. Vehicles less than 3 years old are exempt from emissions tests and only get a safety check. The lower boroughs around NYC get a tougher, more expensive test.
The vehicle will pass with an Airbag light on, but we have to note that on the test. Seatbelts, lights, mirrors, horn, p/brake and glass, etc. are a must. I have to renew my NYS motor vehicle inspectors certificate every 3 years.
The vehicle OBD II connector is plugged in to and the results sent to Albany. No tailpipe sniffer, just have to make sure that the OBD II monitors have all run and passed according to the PCM. If the battery died or was disconnected before the tests, the vehicle will have to be driven until all monitors have passed again.
You get a 10-day extension when you first register a car or fail a test first time. It's $21 for the annual state safety/emission check.
1984 and up get a visual inspection to make sure that the emissions components are there (they aren't tested to see if they work or not).
Some clowns were cheating the emissions test with a laptop connected to the Albany computer. Probably by using data from previously passed vehicles. They were caught.
Stolen inspection stickers are fraud. You don't want to get caught as the NY state DMV and judicial system and the federal government take these safety/emission tests very seriously.

http://webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/1418012203_Ch03.pdf

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/vehsafe.htm#einspect

1 - 20 of 22 Posts