Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there im wondering if there is a difference when mopar put the word magnum on the 1970 car. is just a name or was it actually a different engine.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Which car?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I'm not familiar with which engine that applies to in the Challenger, but usually it meant a higher-output engine.

In the case of my 92 Dakota, that was the first year for the Magnum V-6 (3.9L) and V-8 (5.2L). They had multiport fuel injection and bigger exhaust manifolds, to up the HP from 125 to 180 in the V-6.

·
Super Moderator
36,941 Posts
I think you'll find the 440 Magnum (as in a 1970 Dodge Challenger) has a little higher output than the normal 440 (as in a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Magnum was a name to imply maximum power. Later, Magnum small blocks were actually modified block and head castings for smog reduction and added pwoer. Magnum small blocks have no mechanical fuel pump and have reverse flow cooling with a modified timing cover and different water pump housing. Magnum heads have rocker stands instead of rocker arm shafts, with oiling through the pushrods.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, essentially the term has had three uses. The first use was essentially a marketing term for the powerful version of the sports-oriented cars. The second was the '78 Dodge Magnum vehicle and reuse in '05 for the LX waon, The third use was the name applied to the revised LA engines '92/'93 era, likely in homage to the increased power and performance out of those engines compared to their LA counterparts.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Absolutely. It was the performance name used of old. It oringinally meant performance exhaust manifolds, larger cam, higher compression, definitely four barrel carb or six pack carbs, HP2P block for big blocks, these sort of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts