Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Wow! That's a sweet Daytona. I would just leave it the way it is if I were lucky enough to buy one like that.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nice looking 'Tona.
Might be an idea to buy the car and see how it performs and how you like it before converting to a T-2, but...

Here's a link which might help with your decision.
I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable and regular members will have some better input.

http://www.allpar.co...-i-to-turbo-ii/

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tips-

So - here is my list so far:

Computer T2 (Glhs -Le Baron .....)
Fuel-rail???? Maybe not?
Fuel injectors
Fuel-pump???? Maybe not?
Radiator
Radiator hoses
Intercooler(aftermarked)

Is this really all that will be needed?

This is what i found if you convert from the early suck-throu turbo 1 (84-87)

New computer T2 ( If hard to get try Glhs or Le Baron or rewire AIS and TPS ( into logic connector channel 16 and 20(http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/T2conv.html (a very good link here)

Connectors for AIS and TPS
Newer intake
newer exhaust manifold
newer throttlebody
newer fuel injectors end rail

·
Registered
99 Posts
A T2 computer will not work for you as the 92 computers and wiring is different.

92 - SBEC
89 T2 - SMEC
GLHS T2 - Logic Module

How much boost did you want to run? To start leave the engine as is an add an intercooler and get and upgraded SBEC from FWD Performance. As you raise the boost then you will require things like fuel pump, injectors, ect.

The best first mod would actually be a free flowing exhaust.

Very nice Daytona. Good luck with the purchase.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
One of the main differences between the T1 and T2 is the addition of the intercooler. After that it really becomes a question of what performance modifications do you want?

So do you just want to add an intercooler or do you want something else?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, for sure i want the intercooler, and i also want beetween 14-20psi .

i still sit with 3 issues -

1.the computerproblem must be solved, and Banger says i cant use the T2 computer.Must i rewire, and whats an upgraded SBEC?(cant find it)

2. what turbo should i choose? will the 2.5 92 turbo fit for 20psi and intercooling without to much grinding and sawing?

3. i want the 2.5 swingvalve -plug and play?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
An upgraded computer can be bought at the following vendors:
http://www.fwdperformance.com/
http://www.boostbutton.com/catalog/index.php

The Mitsubishi turbo is horrible for 20psi. You can run it to 20 psi but there won't be much performance gains. The only factory turbo with the 2.5 swingvalve that will be a plug and play upgrade will be the 89 Turbo II Garret turbocharger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Excellent thread similar to what im doing with my 92 though mine is n/a going to put a t2 in it hopefully. Just got a t2 clutch in it a little bit ago

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An upgraded computer can be bought at the following vendors:
http://www.fwdperformance.com/
http://www.boostbutt...talog/index.php

The Mitsubishi turbo is horrible for 20psi. You can run it to 20 psi but there won't be much performance gains. The only factory turbo with the 2.5 swingvalve that will be a plug and play upgrade will be the 89 Turbo II Garret turbocharger.
Thanks fortips -

i still dont fully understand the wiring - it seems for me as i can use the original 2,5 wiring, but need a SBEC. Do i remove the original computer for the SBEC, or will i end up with two computers?

Excellent thread similar to what im doing with my 92 though mine is n/a going to put a t2 in it hopefully. Just got a t2 clutch in it a little bit ago
Goodluck sir-keep us updated

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
There won't be any wiring differences. In the previous posts the terms computer and SBEC are used synonymously. What the aforementioned vendors usually do is take your computer (also known as a Single Board Engine Controller--SBEC) and remove the ROM chip in it. They then replace it with a chip with custom code. To quote the FWD performance website they take your computer and they reprogram it for

"... pounds boost, revised spark and fuel curves , and modified wastegate tables for faster spool up. O2 feedback, active knock retard, increased rev limiter and over boost protection provided. Revised fan schedules for better cooling"

Some vendors will then ask you for customized options about this custom code. Some may include code for the charge air temperature. In this case you may have to add a wire from your computer to this new sensor. This is an optional step.

One of the previous posters mentioned the AIS and TPS. For a 1992 model that is irrelevant. There will be no wiring change in these sensors.

So in short, no wiring change unless you opt for a charge air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha- i didnt know all this- my focus har always been on the early turbo 1,(my turbo Z), and i always have been doing research on the turbo 2.

The 2,5T i dont know much before now.

Then i observe that her in Europe there are quite a few 2.5l turbo models. So availability is good for me. I also like the idea that the 2,5 has a better torque and maybe even tighter trans.
With an intercooler added and a better Turbo that must be a ultimate mix of components?

One last question about the SMEC upgrade . Will i have to send my SBEC to FWD, or do i just buy a new one from them?

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's a very clean looking Daytona.
You might be surprised at how fast it is in stock form.
Some of the '91's and '92's were the "high torque" versions.
You don't need any higher than 16psi of boost with a mitsu to have all the fun you need.
People always talk junk about them but you still see a lot of them in use.
With a good computer they do fine.
Enjoy the Daytona.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts