1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Valued Member
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man arrested for driving 100 m.p.h. over the speed limit in Detroit
Omar Abdel-Baqui
Detroit Free Press

Police stopped a vehicle traveling 100 m.p.h. over the speed limit and found a loaded handgun in the center console in Detroit Friday night.
The man was barreling down the Lodge Freeway in a Dodge Charger at 155 m.p.h. when Michigan State Police troopers spotted him and pulled him over, MSP officials say.
He was arrested for reckless driving and carrying a firearm while on parole, Michigan State Police Lt. Mike Shaw said.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
150mph, BS! Every 3.6L Charger or Challenger I've ever driven is limited to 118mph. Even the Go Mango GT I had tapered back to about the same speed

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2009 Journey pulled the power in the high 180 km/h range. So I'm guessing at 192 km/h. I wasn't going to do it again. I didn't want to take the eyes off the road to really check. Yes. The Journey reached 120 on a long straight steep at the top hill.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
380 Posts
I mean, since we're talking about vehicle top speeds....
I've had my Compass up past 110mph before.
I can't remember (so I may even be fooling myself, of which I have done before, so take this next line with a pinch of salt) if I actually hit 120 in it before.

·
Super Moderator
32,264 Posts
I hit 115 mph in my base model 93 Daytona once, and then it started skipping, shutting on and off as the rev limiter kicked in. It was at 5200 RPM, and there was still about 1/3 to 1/4 of the throttle left.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
380 Posts
120, 110, and 124 mph - I hope this wasn't done on public roads, especially not any public roads near me.
I haven't seen a first gen Neon in a while.... and the last few times I saw them were at a CNY Mopar Madness show, I believe.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The 3.6 makes more hp than a '71 340 or 383 and just shy of a '71 440. The speed seems like it might be within reach without a governor.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Chrysler 200S is supposedly limited... but that didn't stop it from reaching past it's limit and keep going. Got video evidence of 130mph on the speedo of the car we were testing. It would have kept going up and up, but figured it wouldn't be smart to continue. So I guess I don't know what the 200S with the V6 limit is. It beat the V6 Charger we tested as well in 0-60 times and 0-100 times by a few seconds.

No one wants to hear that the V6 200S also beat the V8 charger RWL... but it did.

All tested on a private course that was closed off of course. ;)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
150mph, BS! Every 3.6L Charger or Challenger I've ever driven is limited to 118mph. Even the Go Mango GT I had tapered back to about the same speed
They are governed to 118 mph on stock vehicles unless they do something different on the Chargers or the police interceptors .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Even if you did remove any electronic limiter I doubt if the 3.6 would have enough grunt to propel something as heavy and unaerodynamic as a Charger to 155mph. Might just get to 135mph with a long run and favourable winds IMO.
I think the suspect has a good alibi here.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
BTW, checking the MI State Patrol vehicle tests the last 2 yrs and the 3.6L charger hit 140mph.
The 5.7 Hemi..149. So unless he was going downhill for quite a bit I don't think 155 is possible....clearly he's innocent of the speeding charge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts