Allpar Forums banner
41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
Is there any fear that an SRT Cherokee will steer buyers away from the SRT JGC, being that theyre both 2 row?

Also, I thought the whole principle For SRT not making an SRT Dart and going with the GT(R/T) was because it was FWD based? I realize AWD and 4x4 are options on the Cherokee, buts its still a transverse mount FWD, is it not?
I would think its a totally different price class.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
MonacoMan said:
Before anyone complains about this Cherokee diluting the Jeep brand name, remember that this is the SRT Cherokee. No Jeep here! ;)
:lol:

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
waspie said:
i want to know more about a possible diesel...
When I posted about what my salesman said, I was told it was only for export models. Honestly, if diesel is what you must have, I would wait and see how the JGC take rate is for the diesel. If it does well, I'm sure it will be talked about for a 2015 or 2016 model.

I personally would rather have a diesel, but it looks like everyone is afraid to bring them here...for now.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
Is there any fear that an SRT Cherokee will steer buyers away from the SRT JGC, being that theyre both 2 row?
Also, I thought the whole principle For SRT not making an SRT Dart and going with the GT(R/T) was because it was FWD based? I realize AWD and 4x4 are options on the Cherokee, buts its still a transverse mount FWD, is it not?
AWD is AWD regardless of the engine layout. The AWD system is capable of a rear bias.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Back at the CEMA show in June, we (the group I was with) asked Ralph Gilles about an SRT Dart. What he tried to explain was "you have to make it worthwhile. You have to make it better than what you did before."

So there was the Neon SRT-4 (which IIRC was around 215-235HP), and then the Caliber SRT-4 (which was IIRC 285HP), so to do an SRT Dart they've got to do better than that - plus you still have to meet the price point folks are willing to pay. In the current economy, an SRT Dart approaching $30K might be a hard sell.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,057 Posts
Not to mention; they had torque-steer issues & detuned the Caliber to 285, instead of the original 300. Which is why the AWD keeps coming up for the Dart application. Might not be such a hard sell @ 30k for an awd powerhouse.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
A Subaru WRX - arguably something an SRT Dart would go again - only pushes 265HP and starts around $26K. They've sold 9553 of them YTD 2013.
A Mitsu Lancer Evo pushes 291HP and starts at $35K. Mitsu hasn't revealed actual units sold in quite some time for any of their vehicles.
The Focus ST runs 252HP and starts around $25K. Ford doesn't separate out the ST numbers from the rest of the Focus models.

IMHO, a $30K SRT Dart is a hard sell. A $25K Dart R/T with 260-ish HP would likely get some attention, though.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
A Subaru WRX - arguably something an SRT Dart would go again - only pushes 265HP and starts around $26K. They've sold 9553 of them YTD 2013.
A Mitsu Lancer Evo pushes 291HP and starts at $35K. Mitsu hasn't revealed actual units sold in quite some time for any of their vehicles.
The Focus ST runs 252HP and starts around $25K. Ford doesn't separate out the ST numbers from the rest of the Focus models.

IMHO, a $30K SRT Dart is a hard sell. A $25K Dart R/T with 260-ish HP would likely get some attention, though.
It would certainly get mine.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
Stratuscaster said:

Especially with the 9-speed IMHO

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:

Also note, Subaru reports WRX and WRX STi sales as one model... So that 9553 represents what used to be two models, STi is just an option package on the WRX now.

Unfortunately, I think the market for a Dart SRT just isn't there.

Mike

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
The point being, it's still a target for an SRT Dart - and the numbers ain't that big.
I think we are standing on the same soap box.

Mike

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
If it has a "J" in the VIN, it's a Jeep.
Except the J in those cars stands for 'Just Joking'... ;)

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
The point being, it's still a target for an SRT Dart - and the numbers ain't that big.
There is, however, the intangeable asset, and it comes in the form of marketing. An SRT version would broaden the overall appeal of the dart.
That said, if the choice is between investing in a project that both makes money and succeeds in that marketing aspect, vs one that only succeeds in the latter, then I know where that money would be spent.

Still, I think at least a Dart R/T with a lightly boosted 2.4 might be thoroughly worth while. Bringing it into the mid 200s for power, and keeping the price jump minimal, I think that'd really help the dart. (Imagine if that slightly boosted version only clocked another grand onto the tag, that would probably legitmately sell well). It seems, however, the Dart is going to be stale for now. It's essentially a miss. I'd say their best bet is to slightly reset the clocks, and do a bonafide refresh to introduce the 9 spd transmission, and maybe a faster version.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
8,057 Posts
suzq044 said:

On-road version (SRT).. :D
Just an interesting tidbit. This is my most popular picture in my suzq044 page on facebook. just under 5500 people have liked/shared it.. o_O

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,686 Posts
It's been used (without compensation, of course) by Autoblog, Carscoops, and a few others. And with permission (only people who asked) by IndianAutosBlog.

I am surprised WRX is selling that slowly -- well, not really, I've seen maybe one WRX in the last few years. I have never seen an Evo on the street. WRX was a great car when I drove it last. I would be sorely tempted by it.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
MonacoMan said:
Before anyone complains about this Cherokee diluting the Jeep brand name, remember that this is the SRT Cherokee. No Jeep here! ;)
Who can complain, no one is so crazy to complain about this one, or maybe there are some that will complain, of course, they always have something to complain, we know them.

41 - 60 of 138 Posts