Allpar Forums banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
dodgeatheart said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to deliver to the dealership and let them do it?
I believe that pretty much every auto maker does things this way, and has for a long,long time now.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
oh2o said:
Only 3,100 KL's built so far (counting pre-production). Zero shipped/delivered to dealers.
Still trying to figure out how that Canadian dealer has KL's???
Thanks for the info!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
oh2o said:
How many? Maybe one/some of the pre models?
He didn't specify, but it started the entire "re-flash" discussion.
Couldn't under stand how dealers are getting these only days after Chrysler pulled the Press Event. One would think the re flash or rework had not been performed yet and that these vehicles shouldn't be out in public until that time.
Your post makes it appear that they aren't, which is good!

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
MoparNorm said:
I'm in agreement with the last two posts, be it Jeep, Dodge Chrysler, or NASCAR, there seems to be a big gaping hole in the way Chrysler is getting their message out. When the news is good, they seem to miss the opportunity and when it's bad, they seem to stumble over themselves in response.
Maybe I just want them to perform so much better...but I can't help but wince at nearly every bit of mixed messages and missed opportunities lately.
The people seem capable, is it their internal sounding board, or a lack of cultural knowledge by the newer managers???
Is it lack of attention to detail, or over attention to detail?
Whatever it is, it needs improvement. They shouldn't have to spend the time to issue 3 press releases to explain the mistakes in the first one, or spend time defending a design choice that was prematurely leaked or approved.
Agreed. I think the lack of refinement erodes a one-time appearance of professionalism.

Not good.

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
MoparNorm said:
He didn't specify, but it started the entire "re-flash" discussion.
Couldn't under stand how dealers are getting these only days after Chrysler pulled the Press Event. One would think the re flash or rework had not been performed yet and that these vehicles shouldn't be out in public until that time.
Your post makes it appear that they aren't, which is good!
Just one at the dealer in Canada, but it was pre-production and NOT a model for retail sale. So no dealers have any retail models, and in fact, I don't believe there are ANY KL's currently in transit to dealers.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
oh2o said:
Just one at the dealer in Canada, but it was pre-production and NOT a model for retail sale. So no dealers have any retail models, and in fact, I don't believe there are ANY KL's currently in transit to dealers.
We can surely hope that is the case.
Why would a preproduction model be sent to a dealer and would it be used for a demo or test drives?
How is a preproduction model prevented from being sold or test drove, once it ends up in the hands of a dealer?
Seems to be an uncontrollable scenario?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just read the Cherokee Plant Tour article and either I mis-read something, or something is amiss with the production capacity numbers. At 10 hours/day and six days/week, the capacity is 350k units/year. So if they worked two shifts/day and six days/week, this plant would have a capacity of about 700k/year. That sounds very high. Nowadays very few vehicle assembly plants only operate one shift/day, and the article does mention the possibility of working 24hours/day, which would make the capacity around 800-900k/year. That just doesn't seem right.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
willy said:
Just read the Cherokee Plant Tour article and either I mis-read something, or something is amiss with the production capacity numbers. At 10 hours/day and six days/week, the capacity is 350k units/year. So if they worked two shifts/day and six days/week, this plant would have a capacity of about 700k/year. That sounds very high. Nowadays very few vehicle assembly plants only operate one shift/day, and the article does mention the possibility of working 24hours/day, which would make the capacity around 800-900k/year. That just doesn't seem right.
First, they plan to build more than one vehicle on the line. They could build several.
Second, Mr. Marchionne misguidedly believes the KL will sell 250,000 per year.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,685 Posts
willy said:
They mean 350k, total capacity, running all shifts... not just one shift.

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
I was still waiting for a Facebook link for that KL image...
Me too.
MoparNorm said:
We can surely hope that is the case.
Why would a preproduction model be sent to a dealer and would it be used for a demo or test drives?
How is a preproduction model prevented from being sold or test drove, once it ends up in the hands of a dealer?
Seems to be an uncontrollable scenario?
It's actually not as uncommon as it seems. I've seen Chrysler reps brig preproduction cars to dealerships for vehicle specific "training"

In fact I have a knack for being at the dealership when this occurs ;)

Mike

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
oh2o said:
Yesterday, I was at a dealer I particularly dislike in clermont, FL. I asked the salesman if he knew when the new Cherokees were due in . He asked, "The 2014s?" I said yes and he points and says "They're over there."; pointing to a group of 2014 Grand Cherokees. I said no, the Cherokees, not the Grand Cherokees. He didn't know when they would be coming, but to be honest, I don't know if he was really looking into it anyway. He just said he wishes they would name it something else since the names get mixed up.

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
I remember having seen a Nitro and Challenger near my local dealer well before the were officially released as well. I'm thinking it must have been a corporate vehicle to show off to the dealer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My mother was thinking about replacing her Mitsubishi Outlander with either a Toyota, Honda, Suzuki or anything similar, then I show her the new Cherokee and she's holding for to be realeased.

So these are great news for us :excited: a 4 Cil. tigershark will work very well.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts