Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
Fiat in the USA does have a bad rep, but I thought the Fiat brand was far superior to other models in its category, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pull a Datsun to become Nissan with Chrysler, Dodge, and Fiat. It does kind of explain the "Ram" brand, and the article is not clear enough to indicate if it were to be Dodge, Chrysler, Ram and Jeep that would get a new name or just Chrysler and Fiat. Not a good article to say the least.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
There are what, two or three models of Fiats in the USA market? Kind of hard to base the future of Fiat with that in the market. Chrysler and Dodge in EU is about the same thing as Fiat here. One can't base a market ability on a limited number of vehicles in country. I am sure the Japanese and Koreans had the same problems in the USA when they first started here, marketing and a good product to back it up helps.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
BASONE88, it was Dodge Ram, it is listed on titles as of a month ago as Dodge, the parts say Dodge, and it will always be a Dodge to me. Commercials used to say Dodge Ram, and just becaue they just say Ram now doesn't make it anything other than a Dodge.

I get tired of all this "We gotta rename something because someone will remember it from the past" mentality. A Dodge is a Dodge, a Fiat is a Fiat. A good hamburger is a good hamburger. Quit trying to tell me a bad apple isn't a bad apple, it's now a banana and everyone is going to simply forget about the bad apple and love bananas just because it has a new name. I would much rather know a bad apple was turned around and into a good apple and know it improved instead of finding out the bad apple and banana are both bad because I am smart enough to know it was nothing more than a change in name because people are too stupid to recognize the banana looks like a bad apple. Make changes, fix a problem, and let people know what the fix is. Don't try to BS me and everyone else, that's just wrong.

Understand?

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
Muther said:
Personally, I make little distinction between the Mopar brands. I see only Mopars.

Weird, Ferrari is now Mopar.
This is true, but just like GM, there are Chevys and there are Cadillacs.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
TripleT said:
Graham truck will always be Graham brother Trucks, I mean Graham Dodge Truck, I mean Dodge Trucks, I mean Dodge Ram Trucks, I mean Ram Trucks..... oh what ever.

Its all marketing, they are Chrysler/Fiat trucks, before that they Cerebus/Chrysler, before that DiamlerChrysler, after the were Chrysler.
Didn't you forget Graham Paige somewhere in there?

DaimlerChrysler was a management error, not a govenment givaway problem.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
BASONE88 said:
Dana, I am right there with you..to be clear; I don't disagree. I apologize for being Captain Obvious, and did not want to imply the name change meant anything..perhaps I misunderstood; it sounded to me like you were saying RAM was a S.M. brainchild.

Correct me if I'm wrong..but the big idea was to separate Dodge trucks from Dodge cars. I think a similar move, was to separate high performance Dodges from low performance Dodges via SRT.
Ram being separated from Dodge was during the same time Dodge was being though of as a dump name, too, there just was too much Chrysler/Dodge overlap and it was an idea. No reason why the Ram portion had to stick in my opinion, Chevy and Ford both have cars and trucks that are associated with each other without a problem, so it was just "a move".

As far as SRT goes, once the RWD was finally reintroduced after 15 or so FWD only cars, several years into RWD 300 Chrysler, then charger Sedan, and Magnum, SRT was started as, "We can build a Street, Race and Track car that will outperform a car twice its price", which it did for the first couple years. SRT in the first couple years did just that, along with the SRT-4 Neon (but couldn't call it a Neon, it had a bad name to it and they didn't want to hurt the image or some BS like that), and it was/is a very potent 4 cylinder FWD SRT going for around $20K. It wasn't until about the fourth year of SRT that prices went a little too high to have real impact. Still nice cars, lost track of its purpose for a bit, but still a good program, but not to take away from the Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep to delineate them low or high performance only.

As far as the Classic Coke goes, possible. Problem is, it seems there are a few too many of these little rumors that keep coming true, and I don't think it is the best thing for the company name (if nothing else). She still maintains that 11 percent volume domestically, why chance losing that? As far as a Coke Classic, yes, nothing but, and with lots of ice and a little bit of rum (it's a Navy thing for me).

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
Yes, brands do merge and turn into new companies, but it is usually the smaller companies being absorbed into the mix out of necessity. Chrysler isn't really in that group in the sense Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep all sell well enough they don't need propped from being outsized (per se) by other companies. AMC came from several other companies, like Nash, Hudson, and Studebaker, all three companies were losing sales and could not survive alone, thus they did become AMC (after Rambler) out of necessity. At the same time, Chevy, GMC, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, etc., remained their own and as long as they were individual companies, doing OK, and really didn't start having problems until less individual identity started disappearing, and same with Plymouth, so there was the necessity to go by the wayside.

With this in mind, melding Fiat with Chrysler, they still remain two different animals. They run different, feel different, build-size is different, and turning them into Chryats or Fislers is a centaur and not natural in the sense. I wouldn't want a tractor to plow a flowerbed any more than I would want a wheelbarrow to harvest 100 acres. At the same time, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep all fit the needs of the people buying them, the same as Fiat/Lancia etc., will fit the need of others, and trying to fit the needs of the 11-12 percent of sales with these two together is not going to keep them satisfied.

·
Premium Member
20,348 Posts
Whether it is or not, how many of these rumors in the past five to eight years have been or have come true? From the sounds of it, true or not, there is a majority of people that really don't care what happens to Chrysler as a whole, I am kind of in lifeboat with a lot of room in it. When I think about it, that's kind of sad for Chrysler, and me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.