Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a remanufactured engine from Marshall Engines for my LeBaron. Since I plan to upgrade to Turbo II status, I ordered a 2.2 turbo engine, part number C13514C.

When transferring parts from my old engine to the new long block today, I was alarmed to find a plug in the turbo coolant hole in the thermostat housing, worrying me that the head may be from a non turbocharged car.

I checked the numbers stamped into the cylinder 4 side of the block, and found that the vin number of the car the block came from is 1P3BL18D9KY441868, a Plymouth horizon with an engine code for... A 2.2 TBI.

Is it common for engine remanufacturers to use different blocks, especially since this is a common block engine, and then use the proper turbo pistons, rods, valves and valve springs? Or should I stop now, and wait until Tuesday when I can talk to Marshall about this? I was hoping to finish the swap this weekend...

Regarding the coolant plug, I later realized that there were also plugs in the heater hole and hole for the CTS, so maybe they fill all the plugs when testing the engine? Oil return hole for the turbo is drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
TBI engines are often used for turbo applications just by using turbo pistons and drilling/tapping the turbo drain hole. The turbo oil return hole is drilled but not tapped on turbo applications but often is when converting. One issue is the 1989 TBI block would not be crossdrilled. If you can see the connecting rods the TBI's will have LW cast in them, for light weight, not T-II specs. Turbo heads will have TS ( taperd shroud) and CD (cross drilled) stamped on the rear surface.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw no CD or TS stamps on the rear (passengers side) of the head... Should I be worried about this? Or are problems likely to show up within the three year warranty, if I do have issues?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The head stampings would be on the flat surface above the transmission. I just searched Marshall Engines...

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, must have been a bit off yesterday. I mean't rear (driver's side) of the head, on the surface you just stated.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
2.2L​
1989​
A​
FWD, SOHC, 8 bolt flywheel, roller​
730 850 851​
C13514C
$1873.60​
$300.00​

Is this the engine you bought?? Vin code A should be a 1989 Turbo II with a steel crank, full floating rods, cross drilled block and head. The block VIN you posted would be for a 1989 2.2 TBI, cast crank, LW press pin rods, non cross drilled block and head. It is possible to cross drill the block, head and install the steel crank and full floating rods. Is there an oil pan on the new engine??

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the engine I bought, though I bought mine to match vin E. I pulled the pan and checked today, the connecting rods are the heavier turbo rods, and the pistons have skirts, and the tops are dished as viewed through the spark plug holes. Intake valves are magnetic, exhaust valves are not.

From my frantic research in the last day, all of this points to proper turbo parts. They must have simply used a non-turbo head and block at some point in the engine's past.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hopefully it will be a great engine!!
Did you notice if the crank is forged or cast? I'm not sure there was a 1989 vin E, none are listed on Marshalls site, E was normally a 1988 and older code. The number you posted "C13514C" states code A. What make, year vehicle are you working on? Timing belt, sprockets etc were changed for the 1989 model year, even the water pump is reverse rotation.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I was thinking the vin E from another year... Working on an 89 LeBaron, originally came with a 2.5 Turbo I, so the vin code isn't original to the car. Not sure how to tell if the crank is forged or not, but it has round teeth on the timing belt, and a backward (rear side of belt) water pump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts