Allpar Forums banner

Maserati Folgore - 800 Volt BEV architecture

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Tony K 
#1 ·
Maserati calls its electric drivetrain Folgore, which is Italian for "lightning." It consists of a three-motor layout. One powers the front axle. The two at the rear have individual management of power and torque for each wheel to achieve active torque vectoring functionality.

The system runs on an 800-volt system that uses a new generation of inverters with silicon-carbide (SiC) components. This is a similar solution as the hybrid and electric tech used in Formula 1 and Formula E.

High-frequency switches let the SiC inverters improve the vehicle's performance and range. The 800-volt electric system is also capable of handling high power recharges up to 300 kW.

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums...serati-planning-launch-through-2024-a-298541/

#3 ·
This will cause some real issues in collisions and repairs. High voltage systems are no joking matter. Emergency responders will be very reticent to extract anyone from an electric vehicle with 800V system.

I'm sure there will be some form of power cutoff something to aid in such events.

#10 ·
First responders have already been trained in this for several years. Existing systems have used 600V.
They are more at risk from a motorist plowing into them while they are doing their job.

#9 ·
“More Volts” isn't a measure of how advanced a system is. Once you can accept 700 V DC, you’re already at the limit of the CCS2 charging system. There are lots of practical safety reasons why we won’t get much above the CCS2 limits of up to 500 Amps or up to 1000 V to get to up to 350 kW.

Also, this car is no faster at charging than existing high-current models, like the Porsche Taycan, although they leave that insight as an exercise for the reader... Here’s how it works:

300 miles range is about 66 kWh based on their EPA figures (battery has a capacity of 113 kWh - another article states the figure), so the charger is using around 230~250 kW during fast-charge. That 66kWh in 20 minutes = 198 kWh in 1 hour (theoretical). The two hours cancel out, giving average power of 198 kW. Round up a bit for losses, and we’re probably at charging system with 230 or 250 kW peak power handling.

The Porsche Taycan charges at 250 kW peak.

Regarding 800 versus 900 Volts, the difference isn’t much to get excited about. Would a car with a 3.2 liter engine automatically be worse than a 3.6 liter one? Yes, there are advantages for using higher voltages: high current requires heavier conductors, and greater cooling. Against that, higher voltages inside the vehicle make it far more dangerous in the event of an accident. Here, the 12.5% difference isn’t much to get excited about, compared to the huge leap from 400 Volt to 800 Volt architectures. Mechanical losses and excess weight could swallow all that up again.

"In addition, the Lucid Air can automatically boost the charging voltage when needed to charge at the fastest available rate at any location. "
Every EV does this – every EV has to. The batteries need a fixed, DC, voltage to charge, but the charging station supplies DC or AC at various voltages.

#6 ·
First responders are being trained in this stuff already, at least in large parts of the USA. We have this electric car company that makes really unreliable cars that tend to run into other cars all the time, run by a racist dingbat who says that real heroes are actually child molesters. So they have to be ready regardless.

#7 ·
First responders are being trained in this stuff already, at least in large parts of the USA. We have this electric car company that makes really unreliable cars that tend to run into other cars all the time, run by a racist dingbat who says that real heroes are actually child molesters. So they have to be ready regardless.
Thank you for kick-starting my memory. I had actually forgotten all the above items you mention about the "certain someone" these things apply to.

All of a sudden...a sleazy con-man and future securities fraud convict like Trevor Milton doesn't seem so horrible by comparison after all.:p:D

P.S. You forgot to mention that some of these cars you describe have this nasty little habit of spontaneously catching fire.:eek:

#15 ·
Perhaps the fact that Musk grew up in Apartheid South Africa might explain a lot about his viewpoints.

#16 ·
National stereotypes aren’t useful: being South African doesn’t make you a racist, even if it was a place where it was okay to be a racist for a long time. The white South Africans I know are of Musk’s generation and most definitely not racists.

Back on topic:

Folgore is one of two EV architectures developed by FCA. The other is the 400 Volt system that has debuted on the FIAT 500e. This two-system approach is a smart move, as for the majority of mainstream BEV applications, 800 V is wasted expense. The 500e supports up to 85 kW fast-charging, but in a larger vehicle this should be possible to increase further if needed (as there’s greater opportunity for cooling)

The drive train in 500e is both power efficient (13.1 kWh/100 km versus VW ID.3 from 14.0 upwards, Tesla 3 from 13.2 upwards; all figures WLTP), and space efficient (compare the size of the 500e with the larger Honda-e and Mini-e, both of which have smaller batteries).

For a company that allegedly didn’t care about EVs, that’s pretty good going.

#19 ·
Totally agree that there are any number of countries which have no stones to throw about systemic racism.

I have to say that every time I read someone say something about Tesla's panel gaps and build quality, I look no further than my Compass's numerous rattling interior panels, misaligned doors, and light fixtures. The right tail light assembly in particular is a big ouch. What I really don't understand is how FCA (and other established companies are often no better), with so many years of car building experience, still can't get stuff like that right. Or even close, in some cases. My dealer was able to finally get my interior A pillar moldings to stop rattling, but the bottoms of them still look like they're just flapping in the breeze. I get the continual feeling that FCA just doesn't give a crap.

#23 ·
Charging compatibility is AC Level 1 or Level 2, plus DC fast-charge. DC charging uses the CCS2 system, same as everyone else except the Japanese and Tesla.

@Chrysler UK export sales of the pickups are more limited by the size of the vehicle itself than its fuel consumption (there is, after all a 3.0 diesel model available now). Wagoneer may arrive as a PHEV, though as it's a lot easier to sell an enormous SUV as a luxury product.

Performance and power depends on a lot of things apart from the architecture voltage - after all, Tesla manages to make fast cars with just 400 Volt storage. The problem with adapting any BEV system to a pickup truck is the very different expectations of performance, towing and range that these vehicles have compared to cars. (Ducato BEV is also 400 Volt, incidentally)

For larger battery capacities you'd need in a pickup, the faster charging rates of 800 V are useful, but in truth, if you own a pickup truck, you definitely have a place to AC charge it overnight.

#25 ·
For larger battery capacities you'd need in a pickup, the faster charging rates of 800 V are useful, but in truth, if you own a pickup truck, you definitely have a place to AC charge it overnight.
Mostly true, but many Americans in so-called "flyover country" own pickups who live in apartments and have no access currently to an AC 110V plug, let alone a 220V plug. Until I bought my house, I couldn't even plug an engine block heater in, and I had a carport. That said, I don't think that's totally relevant to the people in the market for a BEV pickup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.