Allpar Forums banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Jeepaholic
5,569 Posts
If you think it's getting blown way out of proportion, consider that Chinese official reports tend to be optimistic by a factor of 10. Having said that, it doesn't seem so far to be as bad as SARS, but with a 2 week incubation period, it's hard to say. At least the Chinese have been more forthcoming than with SARS, which went three months before official word got out of China.
Much is yet unknown regarding this new coronavirus, but from a healthcare standpoint, it's a rapidly spreading epidemic but much less of a lethal threat than the previous SARS (also a coronavirus) outbreak. SARS killed fewer people, but there were fewer reported cases, which means it killed a higher percentage of those infected, whereas this new virus has killed more people, but has infected far more so far, leading to a lower percentage for mortality. And because the symptoms can range from very mild to very severe, some cases may go unreported because the symptoms may be mistaken for something else or go unnoticed entirely.

There is no vaccine currently, but like any other viral illness, the main treatment is supportive, and the population most at risk is the elderly, young children, and the immunocompromised.

So on the grand scheme of things, this ain't the Spanish Flu of 1918, nor is it Ebola, or is it the Bubonic Plague. It's a serious outbreak, and it needs to be studied to know more about the virus itself, its routes of transmission, etc...but it is NOT killing millions of people, and it's lethality is pretty low. There is cause for concern, sure, but the media is making this out to be much worse than it is, and it's contributing to panic which is never helpful.

I've worked with patients who have had many of these viruses, and we were one of the designated treatment centers on the East Coast for the Ebola virus.

·
10,394 Posts
Good luck collecting one penny from the scam meister himself.

Disney is reported to have sent a team to Lebanon to meet with Mr Ghosn about the possibility of a movie. Geez.

·
10,394 Posts
Based on existing consumer demand, Nissan sales still have another 1-2 points to fall before they hit their normal levels.

But I knew executives would grow weak as Nissan sales continue to contract. On the same day Nissan announced its first loss on 11 years, it announces an increase in dealer incentives.

Nissan to boost U.S. dealer incentives, ad spending

·
10,394 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Kinda makes me wonder how long it'll be until Nissan joins Renault on the junk list.

It's not outside the world of possibilities that eventually Mitsubishi could end up having the most desirable stock in the Alliance.
Stranger things have happened. I think I saw an article online about Mitsu being on the way up.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
10,394 Posts
Maybe Mitsubishi will buy a 40% stake in Nissan.

Then Nissan will be really screwed...:eek:

·
Administrator
35,232 Posts
Mitsubishi wasn't doing great before then, either. Mitsubishi's really never done that well, which is why it was supposed to go to Chrysler back in the 1960s/1970s.

Be funny if GM bought Nissan and Renault. It would be a bold move, though they just left Europe.

·
10,394 Posts
PSA posts record profits for 2019: Profits jump at PSA ahead of Fiat Chrysler merger

PSA CEO Carlos Tavares has turned around the automaker by focusing relentlessly on cutting overhead and adding scale since he arrived from Renault in 2014.”​

Renault and Nissan must be kicking themselves for losing the good Carlos and keeping the bad Carlos.

·
10,394 Posts
Maybe Renault is, but as for Nissan...I think the only thing they have ever wanted is to break free and regain its independence.
Interestingly, Nissan is now in exactly the same situation in which it was 20 years ago before the "alliance", minus its independence.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham
181 - 195 of 195 Posts