Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what happened.

Car ran great yesterday back home from work. This morning I had all the parts I needed to put the speedometer back in, hooked everything up, cleaned up, and press on. But now the car will not even turn over.

The battery has power and all the lights, door looks and windows, rear window defroster, turn signals, 4-way, ac blower fan, everything has power. The only items not working are the radio, accessory key position, key start position, and of course the starter itself is dead silent.

I checked all the fuses in the box and all are good. I switched out the PCM and still nothing. I replaced the started relay last month but even if it had gone bad that would not affect the radio or key accessory position.

Is there a similar relay to the starter I can switch into place to see if that makes a difference?

I took everything apart again thinking I may have connected the two bundle wires onto the instrument cluster on the back side incorrectly but they were fine. One weird thing was I pulled the lights switch out and while the lights came on the temp gauge on the instrument cluster reacted and moved when the light switch was placed on and off.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually the turns signals are not working. The 4-ways are however. The wipers are not working either.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
A Hypalon fusible link may have opened? The insulation is rubbery. If you gently pull and it stretches, the conductor inside has broken.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Another thing to look at is the ignition switch itself, or the wires to it. Turn signals, wipers, radio, all things requiring the key to allow power, is a key indicator (no pun intended).

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look, but would that particular fuse if blown still let other items work?

I'm wondering if the ignition switch might have failed or some common link inside the column. But that would not explain the radio not working.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing to look at is the ignition switch itself, or the wires to it. Turn signals, wipers, radio, all things requiring the key to allow power, is a key indicator (no pun intended).

Just posted as you replied about the ignition switch.

Trying to find out how to remove the steering column covers to see about the ignition switch. I may have to remove the steering wheel and I doubt I have that tool.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
Sometimes the switch can get loose and move enough not to trigger when you turn the key. If the car has tilt, try various column positions.

I had this happen on my 89 Chrysler. I was able to move it just a bit and retighten it

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at my cheap dodge repair manual it tells me the switch is next to the key and that I need to remove the column covers etc to replace the switch.

In other words, my cheap manual hinted I might have to remove the steering wheel and in another section it says to drop the column.

So I don't have to do any of that I hope.

Just got back from Auto Zone and will check the brake area for the ignition switch.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
See item# 22 in the 19-1000 illustration for the ignition switch mounting plate. It has 2 slider screws to adjust it or remove it.
It is on the top of the lower column shell next to the 2 instrument panel mounting ears.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there a way to bypass the switch so I can at least start the car and drive it to a shop?

If I wanted to remove the column covers do I have to remove the steering wheel? And if so is there anything else I need to do before removing the column covers?

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See item# 22 in the 19-1000 illustration for the ignition switch mounting plate. It has 2 slider screws to adjust it or remove it.
It is on the top of the lower column shell next to the 2 instrument panel mounting ears.
I believe I found what you are referring to.

It looks like the only way to access that is by dropping the steering column. Any guidance before I start tearing things up again? I see the two upper column bolts holding the top end. The bottom column seems to have a bit of a circular brace. I believe those two areas would drop the column.

·
Registered
733 Posts
did you unhook the battery when you swapped the speedometer? anti theft?

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced the ignition switch and still no power.

What else could it be?

Could it be the ignition key cylinder?

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have power at the ignition switch heavy guage Rd and Pk wires?
Always diagnose first.
When I turn the key there does not appear to be any power going to the ignition or fuel pump, (no pump energizing sound) or window wipers.

When the key is turned it seems power is going to other items like the power windows, door locks, ac/fan switch blowing air into car.

Any chance I can send you my number and give me a call? Don't worry if it is asking too much.

·
Got parts?
2,604 Posts
Does it crank but not fire, or does it just click when you turn the key?

This reads like the bulkhead connector on your firewall may have come loose. You might first make sure the battery terminals and posts are clean.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts