Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was planning on purchasing a 2003 Mazda MPV LX, even though the transmission fluid was pretty dark-colored and low, thinking I could just have it drained (It has a plug.) and filled with 4 qts. of Dexron III.

In the back of my mind I was thinking that might not be a good thing.

I can't hear, but my wife said the car sounded fine on the test drive.

So maybe I will just bring the level up, and what?

There is a Mazda dealer almost within walking distance.

There is no scheduled maintenance for the transmission other than checking the level.

The transmission is

Jatco JF506E transmission - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatco_JF506E_transmission )

apparently.

I like the car, and it fills some needs.

I didn't want to say the level was black, but it's close.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For better accuracy, I would have to say it's black, engine was hot

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, car is just short of 100K miles.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
You'd better do some research on that fluid before dumping Dexron in it. If that is the same type Jatco CVT that they put in the Dodge Calibers, it takes a special type of fluid. You dump Dexron in it and it's going to need replacing real soon. I know nothing about Mazdas, but Jatco CVT transmissions are throw away and replace, not rebuildable, according to them. I'm sure it CAN be rebuilt since someone puts them together, but it may be a chore to find a kit for. And you always have to use the correct type transmission fluid. NEVER GUESS at that. It could cost you big bucks.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Well, I sit corrected. Seems like yours DOES take Dexron VI. So, ignore me and carry on. I just HAD to find out for myself!! LOL

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well, I sit corrected. Seems like yours DOES take Dexron VI. So, ignore me and carry on. I just HAD to find out for myself!! LOL
You made me curious and I had to look. :D When I see Jatco, I assume a CVT. However, it is a 5 speed transmission. I learned something new. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking, DJ. LMAO

·
Super Moderator
37,288 Posts
I'd buy it only if it's cheap enough you could consider it disposable once the transmission fails if the fluid is that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts