Allpar Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok i see it now, there is an obvious in and out on the instrument cluster voltage regulator. Its this larger metal prong piece thats the ground looking at it like you said. Then theres 2 prongs set up that look like the "in".My only confusing problem was that the piece looks like it only goes half way in, but then again its not going any farther in so i'm not going to mess with pushing it in any further. Also, ill take it out tomorrow and get my voltage tester. So in theory, if the piece is out of the car not connected to ANYTHING and it doesn't give voltage the problem is something else? Correct me if im wrong.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
It won't do anything if it's not plugged in.

Looking at a picture of one on Rockauto.com, the ground tab is the one on the end connected to the case. Looks like there may be a ground tab also on top of the case. Any tab that is connected to the metal case should be ground. So the other two are 12V in and 5V out. If you can get at the socket with a voltmeter, turn the ignition key on and measure until you find out which socket location is 12V.

Then you can connect 12V and ground from the car battery to the voltage limiter, and you should measure 5V at the remaining tab.

It's possible that those tabs are too long for them to sit flush in the socket. So that may be why it doesn't appear to be fully seated. Either that, or it's a VERY tight fit.

Reactions: greendart58

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
It won't do anything if it's not plugged in.

Looking at a picture of one on Rockauto.com, the ground tab is the one on the end connected to the case. Looks like there may be a ground tab also on top of the case. Any tab that is connected to the metal case should be ground. So the other two are 12V in and 5V out. If you can get at the socket with a voltmeter, turn the ignition key on and measure until you find out which socket location is 12V.

Then you can connect 12V and ground from the car battery to the voltage limiter, and you should measure 5V at the remaining tab.

It's possible that those tabs are too long for them to sit flush in the socket. So that may be why it doesn't appear to be fully seated. Either that, or it's a VERY tight fit.
Like has been posted here the voltage limiter might be bad but it is not getting any voltage then the problem is farther down the line.

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Another thing to look at is on the back of the instrument cluster is the printed circuit which looks like a solder line running and see if you can find any breaks in it. You can check it out with a ohm meter or it could be in the wiring going to the cluster.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts