Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
This is great news for owners of these cars. The last time Germans relied upon their own mapping system, they became lost somewhere around Stalingrad...

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
"Following Chrysler"? ... with the new 2nd gen 8.4 radios Chrysler is now using Harman navigation (Viper - Ram - Grand Cherokee - Durango - Cherokee).

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
"Mercedes follows Chrysler..."

...I would like to see the faces in Stuttgart when they read that headline!

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
oh2o said:
"Following Chrysler"? ... with the new 2nd gen 8.4 radios Chrysler is now using Harman navigation (Viper - Ram - Grand Cherokee - Durango - Cherokee).
I was wondering why the new interface looked so much better!
As a side note, the screenshots of the new uConnect2 on the Cherokee are a step or two above the current graphics. Much improved in all aspects, kudos to they guys that worked on it. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh2o said:
Interesting. I thought for sure that it was still Garmin, but I guess it's not. Even the website doesn't use "Garmin" when describing the new radios, just "Navigation". Still has a Garmin feel to it, but more refined.

This makes it even better, that Chrysler has moved on to another system, and dumbler is going with it now.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
This is great news for owners of these cars. The last time Germans relied upon their own mapping system, they became lost somewhere around Stalingrad...
:lol:

Mike

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
ShadowRider said:
The Garmins are missing lots of roads on my Dart and 200.
A built in bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection would be a great way to update the software. I still say a mounting place for your favorite portable device with a bluetooth link to the radio is the best way for getting what you want. Hate to have to can a car because the Infotainment system software goes out of style.

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,932 Posts
When someone mentions navi in a Benz I have to post this.... the car was actually northwest of Houston at the time.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
I've not experienced the Harman NAV interface myself yet...Garmin interface is good but I'll agree that it doesn't seem to scale well to a larger screen - I would think that could be easily fixed though.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
FreeLantz said:
When someone mentions navi in a Benz I have to post this.... the car was actually northwest of Houston at the time.

:lol:

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh2o said:
Harman Kardon navigation.
Either way, its DECADES better than the navi in the Harmon sourced MyGIGs (RER)

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
From the 2014 Grand Cherokee press kit:

"Harman Kardon navigation: Voice-activated navigation system available with real-time traffic to
provide precise guidance to destination through the use of global positioning system (GPS) satellite
technology".

From the 2014 Durango press kit:

Harman Kardon navigation (New): Voice-activated navigation system available with real-time
traffic to provide precise guidance to destination through the use of Global Positioning System
(GPS) satellite technology

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
Either way, its DECADES better than the navi in the Harmon sourced MyGIGs (RER)
RER works fine for what it is. I have never had an issue with it and it has never given me inaccurate information. Unfortunately, only the maps can still be updated as Harmon is no longer servicing it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Interesting that Chrsyler is goin always from Garmin...it has had such high reviews.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
FreeLantz said:

Who's the U-Boat Commander?
:rimshot:

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike V. said:
RER works fine for what it is. I have never had an issue with it and it has never given me inaccurate information. Unfortunately, only the maps can still be updated as Harmon is no longer servicing it.

Mike
Yup, and I'm glad I have one in my Caliber.

But the interface is inferior to the Garmin ones IMO. ABCDEF keyboard being my biggest complaint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts