Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
38,716 Posts
200 miles of range is very disappointing for as much hype as was surrounding the EQC.
I agree - though it wasn't too long ago that 100 miles was considered good.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Tesla's Model X starts at 385 km (240 miles), rising to 475 km (290 mi), but those long-range models are very expensive. At the entry level, I can see customers giving up 40 miles of range for $10,000 in their pocket, better cabin and build, and the knowledge that Mercedes-Benz will definitely still be in business five years from now.

I say "$10,000 cheaper" because I think the E-Pace and forthcoming VW Group offerings are the real rivals here, not Tesla, and i-Pace is priced at $10k below Tesla.

@Ryan - I wouldn't assume that the US figure will be significantly worse than the European one: All European cars type-approved after September 1 now have to be assessed under the new WLTP testing cycle, so this new car's range would have been certified under that cycle. From NEDC to WLTP: what will change? | WLTPfacts.eu (at http://wltpfacts.eu/from-nedc-to-wltp-change/ )

WLTP is much closer to the US test cycle in style and length, and but has higher peak speeds. It lacks the EPA's "cold start" phase, but heat, rather than cold, is the enemy of electric motor efficiency. Overall, though, the two test methodologies, WLTP-EU and EPA, should produce very similar results.

·
Super Moderator
38,716 Posts
With Tesla, at least in the US, you are buying into the "luxury" of their charging network - again assuming the company survives long term. You could start with a fully charged car in New York city and drive over 1100 miles to Tampa, FL (not an uncommon drive in the US) though you'd spend about 4.5 hours at various points along the way at Tesla supercharger stations, which you can map out on their web site. Compare that to a gasoline car that might need three 20-30 minutes fill up stops which would be 1 to 1.5 hours of stops.

Without that network, most other electric cars are going to be relegated to local use without infrastructure changes.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
True, Tesla has the most sites, but new Tesla buyers don't get the free use of that charging network, which was the biggest draw.

"The network" is hugely important, but the main thing delaying its delivery was uncertainty over standards. Now that everyone is building CHAdeMO and CCS2 vehicles, and those two standards are similar enough to be provided by the same charging hardware, it will change.

I can see private operators of those Tesla charging sites either adding or switching capacity for other standards in the near future - Tesla's days as the biggest EV standard are numbered. They'll probably keep the #1 manufacturer title, but very soon, Supercharger will be the minority charging standard. (Tesla is a member of the CCS2 consortium, although membership of these things rarely means active support)

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
True, Tesla has the most sites, but new Tesla buyers don't get the free use of that charging network, which was the biggest draw.

"The network" is hugely important, but the main thing delaying its delivery was uncertainty over standards. Now that everyone is building CHAdeMO and CCS2 vehicles, and those two standards are similar enough to be provided by the same charging hardware, it will change.

I can see private operators of those Tesla charging sites either adding or switching capacity for other standards in the near future - Tesla's days as the biggest EV standard are numbered. They'll probably keep the #1 manufacturer title, but very soon, Supercharger will be the minority charging standard. (Tesla is a member of the CCS2 consortium, although membership of these things rarely means active support)
Isn't it just the Model 3 buyers who don't get free charging? I thought free charging was still included with Model S and Model X.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
200 miles of range is very disappointing for as much hype as was surrounding the EQC.
Indeed. But at least Mercedes appears to have done its research --which is more than can be said about Nissan regarding LEAF.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is VW going to be cheating on electricity, too? :p

·
Registered
2,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
The VW network (Electrify America) will rival Tesla's and be available to everybody. Big changes are happening now.
AutoNews just reported that VW said them going electric is going to be more expensive than they thought. Am still curious how the math will add up over the next few years when it comes to profitability....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts