Allpar Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jeep GC is unibody, only body on frames are trucks
That is wrong.

"Federal regulations define a light-duty truck to be any motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (curb weight plus payload) of no more than 8,500 pounds (3,860 kg) which is “(1) Designed primarily for purposes of transportation of property or is a derivation of such a vehicle, or (2) Designed primarily for transportation of persons and has a capacity of more than 12 persons, or (3) Available with special features enabling off-street or off-highway operation and use.”[1] Light trucks includes vans, pickups, and sport utility vehicles.[2]

The PT Cruiser was classified as a light truck"

en wikipedia org/wiki/Light_truck

Trucks are subject to different fuel economy and safety regulations than cars.

Please update your definition that at best is 50 years out of date and at worst has never been accurate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
There seems to be some irrational fear of Fiat in the US. They are a car manufacturer just like dozens of others. That they saw fit to take on the lame duck of Chrysler is something of a constant puzzle to most Europeans as the European side of the group ended up starved of investment in order to boost the very troubled US side. Fiat did not need Chrysler as much as Chrysler needed Fiat - there could have been a merger with PSA way back then for all it matters.
It is a very rational lack of trust given Fiat historical performance in the US.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That is wrong.

"Federal regulations define a light-duty truck to be any motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (curb weight plus payload) of no more than 8,500 pounds (3,860 kg) which is “(1) Designed primarily for purposes of transportation of property or is a derivation of such a vehicle, or (2) Designed primarily for transportation of persons and has a capacity of more than 12 persons, or (3) Available with special features enabling off-street or off-highway operation and use.”[1] Light trucks includes vans, pickups, and sport utility vehicles.[2]

The PT Cruiser was classified as a light truck"

en wikipedia org/wiki/Light_truck

Trucks are subject to different fuel economy and safety regulations than cars.

Please update your definition that at best is 50 years out of date and at worst has never been accurate.
Let's note forget the L-body Dodge Rampage. Too bad then Chrysler US didn't bring the A-body ute version of the Aussie Valiant in North America. The Old Car Manual Project Brochure Collection

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
There are many definitions of trucks, by different federal and state agencies - they don't always agree with each other.
I liked how the 1978 Chevrolet Impala wagon my father drove while traveling for work had truck license plates (because it was a commercial vehicle and had a flat load floor with the seats folded) but the 1979 Dodge van he also used had car plates because it came with bolted in and non-fold down seats in the back.

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
Let's note forget the L-body Dodge Rampage. Too bad then Chrysler US didn't bring the A-body ute version of the Aussie Valiant in North America. The Old Car Manual Project Brochure Collection
Things like the Rampage, El Camino and Ranchero worked out in North America at fairly low volumes because they were based on more popular cars that sold fairly well in this market. An Australian vehicle that would need rework for the US market would have been way too costly to bring in.

Reactions: David S and tlc

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are many definitions of trucks, by different federal and state agencies - they don't always agree with each other.
I liked how the 1978 Chevrolet Impala wagon my father drove while traveling for work had truck license plates (because it was a commercial vehicle and had a flat load floor with the seats folded) but the 1979 Dodge van he also used had car plates because it came with bolted in and non-fold down seats in the back.
Indeed. However a car manufacturer only has to pay attention to one. That's the one I gave which is the one posted on the Mulroney and the one that drives fuel economy and safety regulation differences. (Emissions regulations are now the same, although 20 years ago they were also different, but based on the same definition.)

Also, you will be hard pressed to find a mention of BOF in any federal or state definition.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Indeed. However a car manufacturer only has to pay attention to one. That's the one I gave which is the one posted on the Mulroney and the one that drives fuel economy and safety regulation differences. (Emissions regulations are now the same, although 20 years ago they were also different, but based on the same definition.)

Also, you will be hard pressed to find a mention of BOF in any federal or state definition.
I think the bigger point is pretty much all BOF vehicles are trucks - by any reasonable definition - at this point, but not all trucks are BOF. There are exceptions to the first, I'm sure, but they basically prove the rule. Case-in-point, while you can turn a Peterbilt into a motor home, it's still really a truck under the sheet metal.

Reactions: T_690

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
What is a truck? Does it have a bed? Does it have FWD?
Does it have, say, a twin turbo Square 4 with a 500 shot of nitrous in it?
Soooooooo many questions lmao

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,795 Posts
What is a truck? Does it have a bed? Does it have FWD?
Does it have, say, a twin turbo Square 4 with a 500 shot of nitrous in it?
Soooooooo many questions lmao
I may be mistaken, but Bob Sheaves once said a "real" truck weighs more than 26,000 lbs. Otherwise, it's a "car".

·
Super Moderator
37,234 Posts
I may be mistaken, but Bob Sheaves once said a "real" truck weighs more than 26,000 lbs. Otherwise, it's a "car".
But yet that definition is only applicable in certain specific instances.
That distinction did not matter to the EPA or the NHTSA who each had their own definitions.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
They thought me in driving school:

Cars
Category B
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.

Medium-sized vehicles
Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Large vehicles
Category C
A category C license allows drivers to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, but must not exceed 32 tonnes. Category C licenses typically cover a vehicle with a cab and trailer fixed permanently together.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think the bigger point is pretty much all BOF vehicles are trucks - by any reasonable definition - at this point, but not all trucks are BOF. There are exceptions to the first, I'm sure, but they basically prove the rule. Case-in-point, while you can turn a Peterbilt into a motor home, it's still really a truck under the sheet metal.
Merely because the Crown Vic has been discontinued. It was definitely a BOF car. BOF has nothing to do with whether it is a car or truck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
They thought me in driving school:

Cars
Category B
You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg MAM with up to 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg). You can also tow heavier trailers if the total MAM of the vehicle and trailer is not more than 3,500kg.

Medium-sized vehicles
Category C1
You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Large vehicles
Category C
A category C license allows drivers to drive vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, but must not exceed 32 tonnes. Category C licenses typically cover a vehicle with a cab and trailer fixed permanently together.
That is about European license classes. That is not what is being talked about here.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That is about European license classes. That is not what is being talked about here.
It defines what is a car. It's not much different according to worldwide standards. OOPS! Only US and Canada are not part of them with Mexico having a double standards.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Our Kenworth T800 with a 34 ft aluminum double hopper only weights 26,000 lbs empty. I was well over 10 percent allowed out of the field on at least one load. Believe me, 85,000 lbs is some weight, but that T800 with a 12.7 L Series 60 Detroit walked away with it like nobody's business.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts