Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here adapted a methanol injection set up on their Big block?
What were the results? Good bad ugly?
Price, all said and done?
Thanks E

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I use it on my turbo car and it works very well at 50%. If you have knock with 93 oct than I would give it a try. Should be able to find a kit for $300 I think.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
If you have issues with compression that 93 octane can't handle, time to redo your combustion chamber. Meth/water injection was developed back in the mid 70s when lead was starting to be removed from the gasoline and it helped clean the combustion chambers more than anything else, once they are clean, less pinging. Another thing which helps is adjusting the timing and timing curve. I can run 13:1 compression with regular 87 octane without pinging or knock, 75 octane was just a little more than it could handle, to which 79 octane would work, it is the combustion chamber and piston itself which have sharp edges that can be removed to fix this part, one reason injection of this type is needed. An old trick to clean out the combustion chambers of excess carbon is to warm the engine up, then pour water into the carb while revving the engine. A squeeze bottle works well because it squirts about the right amount of water at a time when you rev the engine. About a cup of water used with about five or six revs usually cleans the carbon out pretty well. If you need it for racing on a track purpose, a timing adjustment will help better than the injection because the engine will be properly tuned, the pinging being hot spots from sharp edges and too much timing allowing it to happen. Essentially the injection is a cover-up of a tuning problem which needs to be fixed, not covered up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The use of meth or water, or a mix was just thinking of cleaning this Ol '66 440 that's in my New Yorker kinda from the inside out.
My brother used it on his '76 302 "stallion" Maverick. and had it set that it only sprayed at 3/4- WOT.
After he installed it and used it for several weeks, His plugs were ALWAYS clean and stated that it was like a shot of NOS (but this was in the late '70's, so don't go off on me)

AND, after I get the Yorker runnin and checked out, I'd like to do the same but at about 1/2 throttle.
This would help when the realization sets in that a 440 in a 2 1/2 ton car ISN'T a 38+mpg like my civic (it kinda already looked into the SRT-10 swap @ 9-12 mpg in addition to the
money spent for the swap in the first place..) THAT WOULD BE COOOL THOUGH

This is for a STOCK '66 440 mind you..

I think that I'll ask and search for 'tips' for better mileage. (and NO, I'm NOT going to get into things like using a green, yellow, and white crystals pointing at each: gas tank, fuel pump, and carb, whilst holding (tightly I might add) a roosters' foot/leg between my cheeks(yes, those cheeks) squatting up and down so the roosters foot grazes the car's side, eating sardines, during a full moon.. Dang! Did I just type that? A little too much caffeine maybe.

Back to the injection. I thought of these ignition boxes that produce a multiple spark..
Would it help any with a set up like this? I mean since the meth SHOULD already be burnt up in the first spark right?

Errol

OH, in addition, in theory it would keep the oil cleaner also since the combustion process would be 'cleaner' also..

Kinda like Natural gas engines. Clean burn, low ash.

E

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well, since the 440 heads are open chamber, they burn pretty clean to begin with, not much residual left in them, low compression which you don't have a problem with or leaking valve stem seals will dirty things up more. A little squirt of water or alcohol is not a bad thing to help clear the carbon a little bit, but like you said, once it starts burning it is burning, a hotter spark/longer spark simply starts the burn process better, but again, high rpm engines like it more because of the speed of everything going on inside the cylinder gives it the greater chance to spark and not be blown out, not an issue with an under 6000rpm engine in most cases.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Simple...
-1 short piece of hoose.
-1 window whasher nozzle in the air cleaner.
Switch the hooses when its in use.
Cost..well 10$ or so.
By the way the whasher fluid is isopropy alchol and it doesent hurt
you engine, but i would make a brew of ordinary alchohol and dest water, something like 25/ 75 %
so it works on the window also.
Make sure the nozzle is securely mounted so it doesent come loose and get swallowed, this may cause a bit to much decarbonising!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
1966 440 heads should be closed chamber.

Thanks
Randy

Well, since the 440 heads are open chamber, they burn pretty clean to begin with, not much residual left

·
Registered
8 Posts
Other places you can get information on water injection is from WWII fighter/ bombers. They used water injection in bombers / cargo to increase power on takeoff. Fighters used water injection on war power settings to increase maximum power during combat. They combined superchargers and water injection. Might give you some insight on how to setup the vehicle if your going after large amounts of power. Interesting subject.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts