Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Avenger, 2.5, 4speed automatic: Car started shifting bad then stuck in 2nd rear. Read in might be input speed sensor. Went to replace it and found that mice had chewed through the 2 wires leading to the input sensor. I correctly spliced the wires together, replaced the input sensor. Car drives great for 1/2 mile the it bumps, reeves up then sticks in 2nd gear. Check eng light comes on. Codes po700, p0733, p0734. Help

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
If those wires shorted together, you may be in need of a new TCM. Make sure the other wires around there are ok, and properly insulated.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I would look for more chewed up wires first.
The TCM, like the PCM has pretty robust protection from over-voltage, reverse polarity and 5 volt sensor shorts to ground.
I think that if it was damaged, it would stay in limp-in from the start.
Does an 'off-on' key cycle return shift operation to normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No more chewed wires. Yes a key cycle will fix it for 1/2 mile, then it stuters and sticks in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I replaced the tcm, still getting p0700 and p0733, it drove better, maybe for 3/4 of a mile then check engine light came on and went to 2nd gear. I stopped, cycled the key, drove good for 1 mile, than went to 2nd gear. Any thoughs?????

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Ignore P0700. P0733 is a gear ratio error in 3rd gear. Does this happen right at the 2-3 shift or while going down the road in 4th?
Overdrive and underdrive clutches are engaged for 3rd gear. you might want to watch a pair of ATF pressure gauges under your drivers side wiper blade when the default occurs to see if a clutch loses pressure (internal hydraulic problem) or hold steady and that could be an electrical or internal mechanical problem.
The key-cycle fix makes me think that it may still be electrical.
A high-zoot scan tool that can watch transaxle sensor and actuator parameters while on a road test could probably nail this.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
The info I have is that both codes can be caused by low battery voltage or grounding issues. I'm still thinking electrical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts