Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Ram still sells its previous-generation 1500 as the Ram Classic, priced several thousand dollars below its handsome replacement. A slightly lower price tag on a midsize truck might not provide enough incentive for Ram buyers to give up the fullsize lifestyle. That said, with the Ford Ranger, the Hyundai Santa Cruz, and the upcoming Ford Maverick filling up a smaller truck market that already has offerings from Chevrolet, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan, Ram could find itself out in the cold when the 1500 Classic finally ends its lengthy run.

Full article here:

Midsize Ram Pickup Truck Rumored For 2024 Launch, But Not In US (motor1.com)

·
Jeepaholic
6,832 Posts
Yup, some of us just don’t want a full size truck, no matter how much the prices may overlap. A cheaper full size truck still won’t fit in the tiny parking spots in the garage at work any more than a more expensive trim level.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yup, some of us just don’t want a full size truck, no matter how much the prices may overlap. A cheaper full size truck still won’t fit in the tiny parking spots in the garage at work any more than a more expensive trim level.
Yep, that's the reason why I'm considering something smaller when I replace my '05 Ram 1500, which is smaller than current full size offerings.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I agree with this article.....
I would not be surprised that they are working on a BOF midsize Ram. But, as usual, FCA is late to the party and waited, waited, waited too long. The market is saturated and the battle to get a piece will be much harder now than if they had kept the Dakota and evolved it properly.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hyundai and Ford are going into the compact pickup market now. Rumor is that Chevy is coming with a compact pickup in the next year.

FCA has compact pickups in other parts of the world. Could they be certified for North America without a major investment? Nobody knows for sure.

Let's hope Stellantis can see Ram for the potential and give it a competitive lineup to Ford.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
936 Posts
Yes, the DaimlerChyrsler-era craptastic Dakota "should've been evolved" to get the 3.6 & Hemi, obviously.

In seriousness, if they don't come out with a Maverick competitor, and they go toe-to-toe with the Tacoma, that's just asking for a ND disaster all over again. They don't need a mid-size that'll be close in specs with a full-size, and have it with a V8.
It should be car based, not body on frame. 1.3T for FWD only, 2.0T with or with-out AWD. Perfect set-up for maybe a 1.3T hybrid FWD set-up and a 4XE style set-up for the 2.0T.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Altitude
5,212 Posts
I think they are msising why people buy midsize and compact pickups. Typical auto-industry thinking...
And that's why I sarcastically refer them as the crack management team. They wouldn't know a snake if it bit em in the back side.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the DaimlerChyrsler-era craptastic Dakota "should've been evolved" to get the 3.6 & Hemi, obviously.

In seriousness, if they don't come out with a Maverick competitor, and they go toe-to-toe with the Tacoma, that's just asking for a ND disaster all over again. They don't need a mid-size that'll be close in specs with a full-size, and have it with a V8.
It should be car based, not body on frame. 1.3T for FWD only, 2.0T with or with-out AWD. Perfect set-up for maybe a 1.3T hybrid FWD set-up and a 4XE style set-up for the 2.0T.
The Dakota with the 3.6 and 8 speed would have been a big success.

When they decided to keep the Ram Classic, they could have downsized the Dakota into its proper size.

I think the company would have a commanding share of the midsize market.

Now, they need to rebuild everything all over again.

As Jean Philippe Imparato said about Alfa - "We need to stop changing strategy every day"

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,893 Posts
And that's why I sarcastically refer them as the crack management team. They wouldn't know a snake if it bit em in the back side.
I was referring to Motor1, but either works.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,893 Posts
The Dakota with the 3.6 and 8 speed would have been a big success.

When they decided to keep the Ram Classic, they could have downsized the Dakota into its proper size.
New truck based on LX may have worked... Comanche showed you can do a serious semi-unibody pickup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with Bionicrooster. Just use the Peugeot Landtrek as the base for a midsize ram. Build it in north america for sale here with a bit of ram influenced styling. All the major work is done, just adapt for n/a

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New truck based on LX may have worked... Comanche showed you can do a serious semi-unibody pickup.
I think we are going to be surprised by the Ford Maverick. It might be unibody using the Escape platform, but it will probably have some serious capability for cargo/towing.

The Hyundai Santa Cruz shows that a compact unibody pickup can tow the same as a midsize BOF Jeep Gladiator.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts