Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Moparians; I am beginning a feasibility study on converting a minivan (Chrysler T&C, Caravan, Voyager or cargo minivan) into a campervan/motorhome. My plan is to get a late 90s - early 2000s minivan cut away the roof & body sides from just behind the drivers/passenger doors down to the floor but retain the floor & rear suspension then find a fiberglass Boler type trailer.& cut away the floor, cut a large opening in the front then graft it onto the cut away minivan. What I am hoping to end up with is something like a Winnebago La Sharo type vehicle. I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with modifying or extending any of the Chrysler minivans. My main concerns are if the minivan chassis can take the weight of the completed project. I don't expect the trailer body to weigh any more than the metal I cut away from the minivan but there will be a fair bit of weight added from the campervan components & appliances. There will be fridge, stove, toilet/shower, small propane tank & plywood for storage cupboards, Bed/dinette & so on. If you or a friend have ever attempted or seen attempted anything like this please advise of any input you may have. Admin, please feel free to move this thread to anywhere you may feel it would get the best response. Regards.....Vic.W

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
The problem is there isn’t really a chassis. The minivan is a unibody, so removing the body removes the strength. And a fiberglass camper won’t replace that strength. You’d have to fabricate a frame to make this work.

·
Administrator
5,646 Posts
I'd guess you'd be better of with a full size van if you're going to do it. I'm hoping to get mine back from the shop tomorrow. Hopefully the news isn't going to be too grim.
20180712_074851.jpg

·
Administrator
35,962 Posts
VW managed it partly by having a lot of weight in the design...

Look up cargo van capacities and see what you find. Those would have the highest GVW - but they were not built exactly the same.

ProMaster is a better platform for that sort of thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts