Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 19 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
jglen490 said:
As noted here on good old Allpar and partially quoted below:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

"Chrysler TSB# 21-006-01 notes that all current vehicles only use ATF+4 type 9602, part 05013457AA (for quart bottles). The advantages of ATF+4 over +3 (and Dexron for that matter) include:
  • Better anti-wear and anti-corrosion properties — and maintains its friction properties over time
  • Controls oxidation - eliminates deposits
  • Anti-foaming
  • Superior low temperature operation
You can use ATF+4 with all older Chrysler transmissions (except some Jeeps, as noted earlier, and very early automatics — before the TorqueFlite).

Rich Hutchinson wrote: [In 1989-91] both the manual and the dipstick said Dexron was okay, which is wrong. For non lockup 3 spds, either can be used. For lockup 3 spds up to some date in 1999 either could be used but ATF+3 was prefered. After that date ATF+4 is to be used in all automatics.

The best bet for transmissions made before 1998 is to just use ATF+4. Even if it's not needed, it's better than Dexron."

Don't mess with Dex, but don't panic over it either - in this case.
Have a '98 Voyager SWB w/ 2.4 3 spd. Recently changed trans fluid w/ some ATF+3 I had never used. After the fact was wondering if ATF+4 would have been better, but read about the lock-ups preferring +3. I think mine is a lock-up, not sure. Have a hard 1-2 shift when cold. Just thought +4 might be better, despite what they say about the lock-ups.

So, that's my question.

1 - 1 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.