Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this great link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFMU8Kw_v8

This very smart man shows you how to modify the engine bay sealing surface to let the hot air escape from the engine bay. I did the mod and checked it with a digital thermometer gun and it does help, you can feel the hot air escaping. If Chrysler did this when building the car maybe the computer would last longer. What a stupid place to put the PCM 6" away from the turbo.

I'm having problems with my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo Touring. First got P0032 and P0038 and car stall out on the highway. Pretty scary when your car dies on the highway, thought it was going to be my last day on earth. Waited about 10 minutes and it started back up and drove home.

Changed both upstream and downstream O2 sensors with NTK (NGK) sensors. Check and cleaned all grounds, by battery box on fender well, and both sides of grounds from struts to under fender well. Outside my garage the engine just died while idling. Showed the same codes again. I just ordered a reman PCM from AllComputer and hope that it cures the problem.

The car was previously owned by my 90 year old father and only has 47K miles on it. I love the style of the car, and always thought Chrysler were quality cars...now I know better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This mod sounds like a great idea. I'll modify mine asap as I've already replaced the computer once because of those codes and I'm sure it failed from the under hood heat. I've already baked several sets of windshield washer nozzles to a crisp ( literally ! ) Following the same process would it make sense to make the same mod directly above the computer ?
I got two reman computers from a place in Florida (this was about two years ago) and they were worse than my original which was throwing the codes. I ended up having a brand new computer installed at the dealer and having them flash it. Haven't had a problem since. Odd thing though, even though the bad computer was throwing the codes the car still ran perfectly. So what do you think about opening up another section of that seal area ?
Aloha George,

After checking the BBB Complaints for CarComputerExchange, I canceled my order with them and sent my computer to SIA Electronics. They just received it today, so time will tell. Now I have my fingers crossed that CCE refunds all my money, from complaints read they like to keep as much as they can.

As far as creating a vent above the computer, thinking about it, I wouldn't do it as the chimney effect will cause the hot air to go by the computer. The way the guy in the video does it makes sense, venting away from the computer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If that PCM doesn't work out for you, we have a member here that rebuilds them and he's very good at it. Not only that, but he stands behind his work. His name is Myckee. You might get in touch with him if your new one doesn't work out.
Aloha Chuzz,

Do you have an email address for him? or how can I contact him?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't be surprised if you get a report back that your old PCM cannot be repaired. ;)

I have heard of several people that have sent PCM's in to these "repair service" places only to be told later that the PCM could not be repaired and they would need a different one.

Aloha 06PTElectricBlue,

Just got a call from SIA Electronics today. They said my PCM checkout okay and were shipping it out today. I also asked them to disable the SKIM and the guy on the phone said they did. They charged me $89 for the checkout and return shipment. Hopefully, it will be okay, as I removed the immobilizer unit today. Just want to remove as many possible potential problems. I will report back when I get the pcm installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude, I have some friends that live where you do. Do you know anyone with the last name Bardago?
Aloha Chuzz,

I live in Makaha, Hawaii...was brought up in Kaneohe. Don't know anyone by Bardago, don't know much anyone as I live a very secluded retired life. Only sports at trying to keep my PT alive and Trap Shooting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally bought a pcm from Myckeee and my problem was solved. I had him disable the SKIM, so now I just use a regular key and keep a spare in the wallet just in case. The only drawback is with the SKIM disabled you get a tiny red light glowing in the center of the L gauge cluster witch doesn't bother me at all.

CarComputer Exchange is trying to rip me for $508, still haven't received my refund on my canceled order. SIA Electronics also is another loser, said my computer tested ok, but in fact the computer is bad and replacing it with MycKeee's pcm proved it. I would definitely stay away from both of these companies.

I don't think any of these Internet PCM companies actually repair computers. I think they just grab another used one and send it out and hope for the best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Glad to hear that myckee was able to help you out, and that the PCM was the issue all along :cool:

But why did you have him disable the SKIM?

The only thing I see in any of your posts was that it originally had error codes that were related to the O2 sensors, not any problem with the SKIM.

How did you pay for the CarComputer Exchange PCM? If with a credit card, you should be able to do a chargeback through the credit card company and they should be able to get your $ back.
Aloha 06PTElectricBlue,

I had him disable the SKIM because I was thinking maybe that could be a problem. I hate that bulky ignition key.

Myckeee did the Mopar Stage 1 on the pcm and it seems to be working fine. I going to order another one from him, want to keep a spare as sooner or later pcm's are going to start getting scarce.

I paid CCE with credit card, notified the bank to reverse the charge, and still waiting. This guy Mike at CCE said that my bank was denying the refund. Spoke with my bank and they said "no way". Then "honest mike" says if you give me your paypal account I'll refund it there. Told him, "you took it from the bank, you return it to the bank". I hope no one else ever makes the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that it's the under hood heat on these turbo cars that's causing these computer issues.
Various "false" 0032,0035 codes being set seem to be the norm yet there's no degradation whatsoever of the performance of the engine. It get's super hot back there including the PCM which is only a few inches away from the turbo housing. These failures seem to occur when the mileage gets in the 100K range.
The crystalization of the washer nozzles is another indicator of high heat. I'm on my third set of nozzles. These things snap like dry pasta !
Just thinking that maybe simply removing the entire rear piece of engine compartment weatherstrip would also promote airflow out of the engine compartment.
Aloha George,

You got a good idea. The way I did it was to create a "chimney effect", but maybe your way is better as you can always just put the weather stripping back in without any breaks. The whole idea is getting excess heat out of the engine compartment and anything is better than nothing. You can shoot a digital heat thermometer against the windshield to see what the difference in temperature is which gives you an idea on how much heat is escaping.

To me PCM's should not be in the engine compartment. My daughter had a honda civic and the computer was in the footwell on the passenger's side, far cooler place for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
This is a mod that Handy_Cruiser did to his PT when he put a custom hood on his, but this is where the washer nozzles should have been mounted, on the cowl panels, the hood would look much sleeker and smoother and they wouldn't be cooked from the engine bay heat :cool:

Aloha 06PTElectricBlue,

That's a nice hood scoop. Where did he get it from and how much?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You have to replace the entire hood to get that look.

He found a hood on a PT in Chicago, drove up there from Arkansas to pick it up, brought it back, had it painted and put it on his PT, it's a real good look :cool:

He also added a Chrysler rear spoiler to his 'vert

06PTElectricBlue, am I seeing this correct? Seems your friend has 2 of those hoods, one on the 4-door and on on the convertible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
It's funny, at least on my PT GT, the original PCM "failure" appeared to only be the fact that the CEL was lit and there were false codes being set. The car ran perfectly, but would not pass state inspection with the CEL lit. A lot of time and expense replacing O2 sensors and such that weren't bad only to find that the PCM was at fault.
Aloha George,

My Touring Turbo had 46k miles but 15+ years old when the pcm decided to pass away. I had the O2 sensor codes but the car would randomly die. Thank God Myckeee sold me a good pcm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm sure the under hood heat is responsible for the PCM Failure. Since the false codes being set are rather commonplace it would indicate to me that a certain component or group of components within the PCM are the most vulnerable. No surprise though that other related problems pop up as well. The two remanufactured PCMs I had received not only had the usual bad codes but had other problems as well. They were unusable.

The PCM should have been located way up front ahead of the radiator and the car should have been made with a timing chain and a long life water pump !
Aloha George,

Funny thing is my PCM failed @ 47k, maybe the age had something to do with it. After canceling my pcm order from CarComputersExchange when I found out they're a big rip off and then sending my PCM to SIA Electronics and they sent it back saying it checked out ok (when It wasn't), I have little faith in these car computer guys. Before buying from any of these internet ripoff's check these BBB ratings first and then contact Mckyeee and get one that works. I'm going to buy another one from him as a backup as time goes along they will get harder and harder to find good ones.

Doing my timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler right now and it's a bear to do on a turbo. I will never do it again that's for sure and hope I get it running again as I spent a lot of money on changing suspension, brakes, electronic engine modules, pcm, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts