Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts
This is all based on the assumption that the computer is at fault and that a failure is heat-related, and that that heat is delivered from the engine compartment. Too many assumptions and not enough proper diagnostic work.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Super Moderator
33,636 Posts
Aloha George,

You got a good idea. The way I did it was to create a "chimney effect", but maybe your way is better as you can always just put the weather stripping back in without any breaks. The whole idea is getting excess heat out of the engine compartment and anything is better than nothing. You can shoot a digital heat thermometer against the windshield to see what the difference in temperature is which gives you an idea on how much heat is escaping.

To me PCM's should not be in the engine compartment. My daughter had a honda civic and the computer was in the footwell on the passenger's side, far cooler place for it.
Many cars have a computer there, but it's not the PCM. The PCM needs active cooling, since the MOSFETs get hot on their own. It's why they put the intake air across them, or used to.

And a "fairly safe bet" is an expensive way to diagnose a car. I prefer to know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts