Allpar Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
2,908 Posts
The later 2.4 as found in the Sebring would have fit right in... timing chain and all! No need to wrap the intake manifold over the head. Plug changes are a breeze. My daughter had this engine in her 07 Sebring. I liked it better than the engine in my 01 PT. Both fuel economy and power were much better too.
Yes the world engine 2.4 is alot better but,,,swapping engines on newer cars are a real bear. The WE 2.4 is totally differant engine, god only know what kind of customzation would be needed.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
It's too bad these cars are worth so little now. Between the difficulty and expense of replacing the timing belt and the related components as well as the failure rate and the cost of the PCMs it doesn't make economic sense for the average owner to fix these terrific little cars. The recommended timing belt change interval of 102K miles and the cost involved in changing it dooms these cars to simply be driven until they stop.
Unless you're a competent DIY person where you have the ability and patience to fix it yourself, having a good shop do a timing belt job at 102K is just not worth it.
It seems that as you pass around 120K miles all sorts of repairs will be imminent if they haven't been done already. Timing belt, water pump, motor mounts, suspension components, radiator, PCM on turbos, etc. simply add up to make expensive repairs like a timing belt change at 102K a bad idea as there will be additional repair expenses lurking not all that far down the road. Too many systems and components that won't make it to 200K miles.

Now if there was a kit to convert a PT to an electric car that would be the ticket !

Actually there were working electric PTs made and they functioned fine.

They made the cover of THE CRUISER QUARTERLY magazine back in our PTs heyday.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
You have to replace the entire hood to get that look.

He found a hood on a PT in Chicago, drove up there from Arkansas to pick it up, brought it back, had it painted and put it on his PT, it's a real good look :cool:

He also added a Chrysler rear spoiler to his 'vert

There have been many attempts made to release engine heat via the hood over the years. They all worked to one degree (degree --- get it --- that's a joke son) or another. Some worked very well, like the louvered hoods below. Of course on rainy days there was an obvious drawback in this configuration. You've got to admit though, this looks really cool.:cool:

Jerry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
There have been many attempts made to release engine heat via the hood over the years. They all worked to one degree (degree --- get it --- that's a joke son) or another. Some worked very well, like the louvered hoods below. Of course on rainy days there was an obvious drawback in this configuration. You've got to admit though, this looks really cool.:cool:

Jerry
The hood that Handy has on his vert is the highly valued SUNCOST CREATIONS hood. It looked great and if you had the optional "AIR EXTRACTOR' kit, it actually did release some of the engine compartment heat.

This is SAKI's PT from over at THE CREW

It released the heat out of the rear of the hood out onto the bottom of the windshield.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
This is the PTeazer COWL INDUCTION HOOD. It released engine heat via the low-pressure area that was created by the shape of the rear portion of the hood where it culminated at the bottom of the windshield. It is a very high quality piece. Ray sold a ton of these over the years.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
These are the two extractors I installed on my PT.

Can you guess what car they came from?

By the way they do work. I ought to know, I drilled around two hundred 9/64th inch holes in each of the two pieces.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
This is Mike Wrights Custom PT. A REALLY unique PT. Everywhere you look you see seldom or never before seen mods. :cool:

If you look closely, you'll notice the louvers in the already cool hood.

He always showed up at our numerous SPACE COAST shows here in Florida.:)

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
This is the Keystone GOODHOOD. IN my opinion it just looks RIGHT on the PT.:);)

It, like all of the custom hoods that allow cool air to enter the engine bay, did it's job well.
I don't recall if it released any of the heat or not.

This is BIG JON"S PT with it's GOODHOOD.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
These are the two extractors I installed on my PT.

Can you guess what car they came from?

By the way they do work. I ought to know, I drilled around two hundred 9/64th inch holes in each of the two pieces.

Jerry

In answer to my question above, my hood extractors are from the hood of a Saturn Sky.

I always liked the Sky and the Pontiac Slostice.

Jerry

·
Registered
184 Posts
The hood that Handy has on his vert is the highly valued SUNCOST CREATIONS hood. It looked great and if you had the optional "AIR EXTRACTOR' kit, it actually did release some of the engine compartment heat...
Yep. This hood is functional.

It has vents near the back to flow down on the rear of the turbocharged engine. And it has a cutout that will mate up with an an AIRAID intake. However, it's made to work with a 2003 thru 2005 AIRAID. I have the one that mates with this hood, but it will not fit on a 2007 PT convertible. The air filter box is narrower than in the 1st Gen PT's. When I get around to fabricating an air dam for my current cold air intake, it will mate with that AIRAID hood opening. But in the meantime, I do still get a lot of ventilation from those rear vents.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Yep. This hood is functional.

It has vents near the back to flow down on the rear of the turbocharged engine. And it has a cutout that will mate up with an an AIRAID intake. However, it's made to work with a 2003 thru 2005 AIRAID. I have the one that mates with this hood, but it will not fit on a 2007 PT convertible. The air filter box is narrower than in the 1st Gen PT's. When I get around to fabricating an air dam for my current cold air intake, it will mate with that AIRAID hood opening. But in the meantime, I do still get a lot of ventilation from those rear vents.

That's what I thought. I couldn't remember if the pic below was from the Suncoast hood or the Keystone Goodhood, so I didn't post it. I didn't want my fellow owners to see how much of an "imbessile" I had become in my old age.o_O

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I can't believe that I completely forgot about "TOTAL SLEEPER"!

He had an amazing PT. He was the first PT with a 2.4 engine that made it into the 11's (11.96 to be exact). He later dropped in a DCR 2.6 longblock.

He started out with a Pteazer cowl induction fiberglas hood and then added the two large louvered extractors.
I imagine they worked fine.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
It finally dawned on me as I was looking back at the "CHRIS 15's leaving THE CREW" thread that he had taken the final step in protecting the PCM from turbo heat. He moved it into the interior of his monster PT.

Chris spared no time, effort or money in building his PT.

A couple pics with the PCM in the stock position.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Engine Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

Here are two pics of the engine bay with the PCMs in the interior of his PT.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chrysler pt cruiser

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Jerry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out this great link:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFMU8Kw_v8

This very smart man shows you how to modify the engine bay sealing surface to let the hot air escape from the engine bay. I did the mod and checked it with a digital thermometer gun and it does help, you can feel the hot air escaping. If Chrysler did this when building the car maybe the computer would last longer. What a stupid place to put the PCM 6" away from the turbo.

I'm having problems with my 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo Touring. First got P0032 and P0038 and car stall out on the highway. Pretty scary when your car dies on the highway, thought it was going to be my last day on earth. Waited about 10 minutes and it started back up and drove home.

Changed both upstream and downstream O2 sensors with NTK (NGK) sensors. Check and cleaned all grounds, by battery box on fender well, and both sides of grounds from struts to under fender well. Outside my garage the engine just died while idling. Showed the same codes again. I just ordered a reman PCM from AllComputer and hope that it cures the problem.

The car was previously owned by my 90 year old father and only has 47K miles on it. I love the style of the car, and always thought Chrysler were quality cars...now I know better.

Looks like a pretty good idea, have to put this on my to-do list. Thanks.Love the silver PT
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
62 Posts
Regarding the modification of the rear engine compartment flange and weatherstrip to let the heat out:

A big thumbs up. It actually works to do just that. Also, in case the "engineers" are right (HA HA HA!) or you are selling the car, this is totally reversible and invisible if you pick up a used weatherstrip from the local Pick 'N Pull. Also...I notice that in the instructional part of the video, the flange is bent BACKWARDS while in the "after" photos at the end of the video, It looks like the flange is bent FORWARDS. Guess it wouldn't really make a difference.

Something else I did on my 2006 GT Turbo, again it probably doesn't make that much difference, but I used duct tape to make a "dam" that blocks off the part of the HVAC cowl air intake behind the "chimney" so that the air conditioning doesn't "suck in" hot air from the engine compartment. Can't hurt on a hot day (doesn't help at all if A/C is run on Recirc!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is the Keystone GOODHOOD. IN my opinion it just looks RIGHT on the PT.:);)

It, like all of the custom hoods that allow cool air to enter the engine bay, did it's job well.
I don't recall if it released any of the heat or not.

This is BIG JON"S PT with it's GOODHOOD.

Jerry
I have been on a quest for one since 2016. I absolutely NEED one for my Red Monster. Anyone?
Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Grille Car

[email protected].
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

41 - 57 of 57 Posts