Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what modeling tools do you have or use?

I mostly modify die cast cars, so I have a battery powered dremel tool for cutting, grinding, polishing metal.

I also have small pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, etc for disassembly/assembly, small spring loaded clamps for holding small parts, exacto knives and scirrors, of course.

And probably my most important "tool": Daisy BBs (for dropping 3, 4 or 6 BBs in a paint bottle to help stir up the paint).

So, what modeling tools do you have or use??

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
One of the the items i use a lot are sanding pads and sticks. The finer the better. I use the finest i can find to wet sand or polish painted car bodies and coarser grit pads to remove flash. I use the sticks that look like nail files but have a foam or soft center which allows them to conform to various surfaces. The fine grit pads are great for polishing/wet sanding out scratches in clear windows.
The small medical scissor type clamps (hemostats?) work very well for holding small parts.
An airbrush, small spray booth and the "Model Car World" paint catalog allows for some very accurate original looking paint jobs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about hemostats for model building. That's a good idea.

Can you tell us more about your air brushing set up? I'd like to get into that too, but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I use a basic single action Aztek airbrush hooked to a small air tank with a pressure regulator and filter hooked to it. (It's quieter than my compressor)
I thin all paints and spray at the lowest air pressure i can to get the glossiest finish.
Also use a Pace spraybooth with fan exhausted outside.

I never thought about hemostats for model building. That's a good idea.

Can you tell us more about your air brushing set up? I'd like to get into that too, but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, another tool... a glue gun!
Yeah, the kind with the glue sticks.
Buy a small one so you can get into small spaces.
NOT for gluing parts together like you would tube or bottle glue.
I used one to glue nerf bars onto an off-road truck.
It came out well.

Still haven't set up an air brush system yet....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts