Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the AEV, Nth Degree suspension is even more compliant than the factory ride. They use progressive rated coils, tuned to the vehicle and shocks tuned to work with the coils. Track bars and control arms are relocated from the factory locations to minimize head toss and brake dive and to lower the roll center. These are excellently engineered and produced suspensions, that for a minimal cost, vastly improve the stock ride.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I have a few minutes, thought I'd post these two shots, to show stock vs. AEV.

Stock

AEV

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think its awesome. I can't wait for you to bring it to Texas.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I see different bumpers, different wheels, different ride height, and the four-wheeling-tools mount on the back. Anything else? I can't tell if the stocker is a Rubicon or not, but I imagine not, so that would also be upgraded or replaced axles, right?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TWX said:
I see different bumpers, different wheels, different ride height, and the four-wheeling-tools mount on the back. Anything else? I can't tell if the stocker is a Rubicon or not, but I imagine not, so that would also be upgraded or replaced axles, right?
It's a Sahara, because we wanted the body color fenders and interior upgrades.
I wanted the ability of a Rubicon, but not the electric lockers, or the 4 to 1 t-case, which is too low for some trails. I do need the low, low in some situations, so the Rubicrawler 3 speed case is always an option.
The axles have ARB LOCKERS AND 5:13 gears. I'm going to 5:38 gears soon because I went from 35" tires to 37" tires. The lift is a 4.5 AEV suspension, kit designed by former Jeep Engineer Jim Fens' company, Nth Degree, now owned by AEV.
The front axle is being rebuild right now, with a Pro-Rock 44, 1/2" axles tubes, heavy duty "C's", HD ball joints and a high steer kit on Reid Racing Knuckles and the topper; J-8 brakes by Black Magic, which swap out the wimpy JK brakes for 13.5" rotors and dual piston calipers, from the J8, 100% OEM and nearly a lot in conversion.
The air system utilizes a Thomas Air compressor, a larger version of the unit found on the AMG Humvee and H1.
A 2 gallon air tank with enough air pressure to seat beads and run air tools and fill those tires in just a few minutes.
An sPOD, electrical distribution system and a CB and Ham radio, an ARB Fridge-Freezer and two iOS interface cables and two USB ports, along with two 11" screens in the rear seats and one 8" dash screen for Sat NAV and video when parked. The rear screens can play while underway, a back up camera and two "wheel" cams, with two additional video in jacks for GoPro or whatever. Sirius Sat Radio and GPS and iPad interface.
Internal Rockhard roll cage and Mastercraft grab handles, Camp box and tool kits, with two air tool quick couplers, one starboard and one port.
ARB diff covers with inspection plate and dip stick. Banks Air Ram box and aftermarket exhaust, adds about 2 mpg and sounds great. Raceline custom backset beadlocks, to match the factory back spacing and track. JK'S sway bar disconnects.
To come: AEV. Front bumper and Warn Zenon winch. If in SoCal you can see it at OffRoad Expo, or at Forest Fest, in the All J Products booth.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the best laid plans of mice and men..... it was almost paid for and almost finished when a freak accident, while parked, resulted in this:

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
WTH happened?

At least now you can get one of those upside down bumperstickers... Going to fix it?

There was a red TJ visible through a gate in a backyard a year ago that clearly had been rolled, albeit gently, sitting there for some time. Wheels were off, hood was crushed in right at the front, fenders were bent down, I think that the windshield was folded down. I was tempted to inquire but never got around to it. It disappeared one day.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was actually parked! I was going to use it as an anchor point for the Jeep in front of me which had started to tip over and I stopped on the trail behind him, put it in park, took my seatbelt off and started to get out, the rear end suddenly started to slide on the decomposed granite surface, it slid about a foot, stopped, shuddered and slid another 3-4 feet right into a hole where it proceeded to roll over onto the drivers side, then the roof, then came to rest on the passenger side. Every panel is bent, the doors don't open or close, the Rockhard cage saved me from more serious injury and the trans, radiator and steering were also damaged.

I expect they may total it on Monday. They would have totaled it over the phone except the air bags didn't deploy.
When Jeeps are in low range, not to mention Park, the air bags are not prone to deploy, so that aspect hurt me from getting a quick decision.

·
2,570 Posts
Norm, sorry to see this! I am glad you are not injured. When it is totaled will you be buying it back to transfer parts or start all new again?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I'm going to split this out, it's too good of a topic to leave in here...

Norm, if you have a better topic title let me know, I'll change it.

And as to the vehicle now, if I were you, I'd buy it back. Look at it this way, if it's mechanically excellent but bodily beat then you are more free to not worry anymore. And that's one hell of a first scratch...

Read this article on a survior AC Shelby Colbra... They make some good points that do kind of relate to this situation, albeit less violently so...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
drew54 said:
Norm, sorry to see this! I am glad you are not injured. When it is totaled will you be buying it back to transfer parts or start all new again?
Hard to say right now, if they give me a check for full KBB, without the mods. I get to remove the mods and use them on the new Jeep.
If they give me a check including the mods, then It will depend upon the salvage cost they put on the Jeep, if it's affordable I'll buy it back. My last total (my wife's Grand Wagoneer) I just said I wanted the pink as a part of the settlement and they said yes, at no cost.
They might even try to repair the JK, but I would be a very picky customer if they did that.
As to TWX's point, it isn't exactly mechanically excellent. The trans was in Park and something happened to it,,in the roll, it's not shifting correctly and popping out of gear, might be the linkage, might be internally, it lost a lot of ATF.
The steering box is jacked up and there are a bunch of electrical,gremlins, so something may have shorted?
So if they try to repair it, it's going to need some work, along with a 100% new body

·
2,570 Posts
How is your situation playing out Norm?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll post some photos soon.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The last shot before salvage;

The Old and the New;

The Build will soon resume. Parts are ordered, the deadline for the Summer Trade Shows is fast approaching.

Reactions: HotCarNut

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I see you got your green jeep. It looks good I can't wait to see it all jeeperized.
Mick
I'll take the blue one as is and go play at the lake.

·
2,570 Posts
I love the Commando green. It sucks that you have to do it all over, but I look forward to your build.

·
10,394 Posts
Ouch! I didn't know you wrecked your JK! Sorry to hear, Norm.

But great to hear you are okay. Congrats on the new one, though. She looks SHARP!

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Aldo!

Drew, I'll try to do a better job documenting the build this time!

·
2,570 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Thanks Aldo!

Drew, I'll try to do a better job documenting the build this time!
I still have a link to your album for the Blue one. I really think the build threads inspire people. They increase awareness of how easy, or not so easy it is to achieve the same for their own Jeep. It also allows a few of us to live vicariously through your Jeep ;)

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
10,394 Posts
I am a little jealous...I wanted a green 2012 JK but Commando didn't come out until 2013... hehe

On a more significant note, the improvements Jeep made to JK from 2011 to 2012 were impressive: a better ride, quieter interior, notchier manual linkage, better ergonomics, more refined engine, more power, better fuel economy. A buddy of mine got a 2013 and his feels even tighter and quieter than my 2012.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts