Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was out on Woodward last night w/ bunch of guys who work at Chrysler and we were looking at the 2013 Mopar '13 Dodge Dart. One of them mentioned that the Mopar '13 did not get as well received as what Chrysler would have wanted it. The first two years were really something w/ the Challenger and Charger. Some of the 2012 Mopar '12 300s are still on lots. So he then mentioned that Mopar is looking at doing a Ram Mopar '14 for the next year and launching w/ 500 to 1,000 pickups. Just something to keep in mind.

redriderbob

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
redriderbob said:

I was out on Woodward last night w/ bunch of guys who work at Chrysler and we were looking at the 2013 Mopar '13 Dodge Dart. One of them mentioned that the Mopar '13 did not get as well received as what Chrysler would have wanted it. The first two years were really something w/ the Challenger and Charger. Some of the 2012 Mopar '12 300s are still on lots. So he then mentioned that Mopar is looking at doing a Ram Mopar '14 for the next year and launching w/ 500 to 1,000 pickups. Just something to keep in mind.

redriderbob
This is not surprising and I was expecting the Ram.

The Mopar Dart missed the mark dramatically thanks to not having the 2.4 engine.

Mike

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
Mike V. said:

The Mopar Dart missed the mark dramatically thanks to not having the 2.4 engine.

Mike
I don't think the polarizing driver's seat in all blue helped either.

Reactions: LeeRyder

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UN4GTBL said:

A picture I took last night at Woodward... notice it was dark and I used the flash! Can you see that driver's seat? lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
Considering the MOPAR Editions are supposed to be dressed up Vehicles with off the shelf/ available "MOPAR Performance Parts"... the DART is a huge let down in the "Performance" Category.

They had to draw your attention away from the lack of performance somehow... so they put a Blue Drivers Seat in it.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Ram, huh, I suspect it'd have the 6.4HD. Anyone know what the other spec' will be?

Also, what is dev' name for the 6.4truck engine.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I doubt seriously, that the 6.4 will make it into a half ton this year. Remember, it was a year later when the 5.7 finally made it into the half ton. Maybe the 6.4 won't show up at all. That would be sad, seeing that both GM and Ford offer 6+L V8s.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
As the limited enthusiasm for the Dart Mopar variant bears out, anything with a Mopar label is expected to have power. This is a bare minimum expectation.

Hopefully the marketeers have received the message that performance branded limited production vehicles should not just be about graphics and interior offerings (the new Rumble bee is already on a slippery slope).

All the Mopar '14 Ram needs now is more power - and not just in the form of a cold air kit.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Mike V. said:

Mike
Everyone wants a different things. I don't think having the GT 2.4L version not made is totally to blame.
Some people might want a 2.0L turbo so it can run SCCA 2L class.
Some might want the 2.0L multijet II diesel or for the aero package a 1.6L multijet II diesel + mild hybrid. or 1.3L crd + hybrid.
A standard 2.4L 184hp 174lb-ft is a far cry of the SRT neon's 224HP 250LB-FT with the ability to bump the hp up to 280-300hp pro ralley race.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
66coronet said:
Everyone wants a different things. I don't think having the GT 2.4L version not made is totally to blame.
Some people might want a 2.0L turbo so it can run SCCA 2L class.
Some might want the 2.0L multijet II diesel or for the aero package a 1.6L multijet II diesel + mild hybrid. or 1.3L crd + hybrid.
I have never heard of a SCCA "2L" class. The engines you are talking about do not exist.

The Mopar Dart's biggest problem is that they are still MIA in many dealerships.

Mike

·
Registered
384 Posts
Charger Red said:
As the limited enthusiasm for the Dart Mopar variant bears out, anything with a Mopar label is expected to have power. This is a bare minimum expectation.

Hopefully the marketeers have received the message that performance branded limited production vehicles should not just be about graphics and interior offerings (the new Rumble bee is already on a slippery slope).

All the Mopar '14 Ram needs now is more power - and not just in the form of a cold air kit.
Not one single MOPAR Edition Vehicle has had more Horsepower than it's Factory Counterpoint.
MOPAR 10' - Dodge Challenger
Based on a Challenger R/T

MOPAR 11' - Dodge Charger
Based on a Charger R/T

MOPAR 12' - Chrysler 300
Based on a Chrysler 300S

MOPAR 13' - Dodge DART
Based on a Limited DART

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:
Not one single MOPAR Edition Vehicle has had more Horsepower than it's Factory Counterpoint.

Based on a Charger R/T

MOPAR 12' - Chrysler 300
Based on a Chrysler 300S

MOPAR 13' - Dodge DART
Based on a Limited DART
And only the Mopar 10 came with nearly the full line of Mopar Accessories.

Mike

·
Mopar Guru!
12,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If my source is right, and he is most of the time. The Rumble Bee concept might be something similar to what a Mopar '14 Ram would look like. Although Peitro said on Autoline Live from Woodward that they were going "back to the traditional Mopar"! You can see it for yourself... look at the 17:39 mark.

http://www.ustream.tv/new/search?q=autoline+woodward#/recorded/37389839

redriderbob

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
BigDaddySRT said:

Based on a Charger R/T

MOPAR 12' - Chrysler 300
Based on a Chrysler 300S

MOPAR 13' - Dodge DART
Based on a Limited DART
So, the cold air kits that came on the vehicles did not increase power? Even if it were not advertised it would not be wise for a manufacturer to claim no increase in power considering the multiple hundreds of dollars that these kits cost.

Here's a concept I'd like to offer for discussion. There are possibly two main customer groups who would buy Mopar branded vehicles:

1) Those who are interested in exclusivity, creature comforts and gizmology (for lack of a better term) - This is Mopar Accessories camp. To these individuals, MoPar stand for "Motor Parts."

2) Those who think that MoPar stands for "More Power."

It's my opinion that #2 is the larger, more significant group. The Halo Effect also comes more into playt here. Correspondingly, if this were to be the more significant customer expectation, the manufacturer would be well advised to make sure that this is appropriately addressed.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
redriderbob said:
?... Although Peitro said on Autoline Live from Woodward that they were going "back to the traditional Mopar"! You can see it for yourself... look at the 17:39 mark.

http://www.ustream.tv/new/search?q=autoline+woodward#/recorded/37389839

redriderbob
You beat me to it. ;)
And...he did attribute the cold air and exhaust as having nearly 300 HP, or about 15 more than stock.
I have a similar setup on my 2013 JKU and it's proven to be over 300 HP (by Gale Banks)
Gorlier also noted these kits are available now and shipping.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
"back to traditional Mopar" - they are going to change their stickers back to the old emblem ??? :1st:

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Charger Red said:
So, the cold air kits that came on the vehicles did not increase power? Even if it were not advertised it would not be wise for a manufacturer to claim no increase in power considering the multiple hundreds of dollars that these kits cost.

Here's a concept I'd like to offer for discussion. There are possibly two main customer groups who would buy Mopar branded vehicles:

1) Those who are interested in exclusivity, creature comforts and gizmology (for lack of a better term) - This is Mopar Accessories camp. To these individuals, MoPar stand for "Motor Parts."

2) Those who think that MoPar stands for "More Power."

It's my opinion that #2 is the larger, more significant group. The Halo Effect also comes more into playt here. Correspondingly, if this were to be the more significant customer expectation, the manufacturer would be well advised to make sure that this is appropriately addressed.
IIRC only the Mopar 10 had a cold air intake installed. The Mopar 11 had 3.91 gears though

All had strut tower braces and other accessories. The Dart supposedly has a performance exhaust.

None of the cars did not have an advertised bump in horsepower.

Mike

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mike V. said:
IIRC only the Mopar 10 had a cold air intake installed. The Mopar 11 had 3.91 gears though

All had strut tower braces and other accessories. The Dart supposedly has a performance exhaust.

None of the cars did not have an advertised bump in horsepower.

Mike
MOPAR '10 Challenger
Super Track Pack Suspension
  • Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces (including billet caps for front shocks)
  • Cold Air Intake System with sock
  • Under hood venting and water management system for T/A hood
Chrysler always claimed a 12-15 Horsepower increase with the MOPAR CAI and Hood... but never "Officially" posted Horsepower increase in the Specifications.

MOPAR '11 Charger
Super Track Pack
  • Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces
  • 3.91 Rear End/ MOPAR TCM

MOPAR '12 Chrysler 300
LX Super Track Pack
  • 3.91 Rear End/ MOPAR TCM
Tower Bars were deleted due to complaints of "suspension noise" with the MOPAR 11's.

MOPAR '13 DART
  • Performance-tuned exhaust system
  • Slotted brake rotors
  • Lowered sport suspension
  • Recalibrated steering gear

The MOPAR '13 DART is a huge let down in the "Performance Category".

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Thanks Big Daddy for posting the details... It explains exactly what I thought.

Mike

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
And so, here we have a perfect example of a problem (if we are willing to acknowledge that one exists) where a retrospective analysis of history elucidates a potential root cause:

Mopar 13' Dart - Lack of product focus (commitment) results in compromised products whose sales correspondingly suffer.

I submit that any Mopar branded vehicle should more boldly bring the substance. This is a good lesson for those would seek to configure the potentially new Mopar '14 Ram.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts