Allpar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on the NHRA website that Steve Wann set a new NHRA A/SA national record at Sacramento Raceway last weekend.

9.65 @ 136.30 mph !

There is no mention of the car model he set the record with (they usually fill that in a few weeks later) but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it is this '62 Max-wedge Plymouth that he has been driving for the last 4 or 5 years.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

9.65 is flat-[I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] flying for a legal Max-wedge, particularly a '62 model. He bested his old record by more than a tenth!

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Yep, saw mention of this on the stock/superstock forums. They say hesh the hardest working man in racing. A driver also metioment the awsome sound as Steve went by him.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, saw mention of this on the stock/superstock forums. They say hesh the hardest working man in racing. A driver also metioment the awsome sound as Steve went by him.
Do you have a link for that discussion? I'm interested what type of event that it was since it is not a regular NHRA Div points meet - maybe a "National Open" where records can also be set. The Wanns have been racing Mopars on the West Coast for 50 years! Steve also builds motors for other Mopar racers. He would have been a perfect prospect for FCA to give (or loan) one of their FSS or FSXX Challenger Drag Paks to. He just might have already been the first legal NHRA stocker down into the 7's.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link. It seems like I was not the only one impressed by that 9.65. I'll have to start monitoring that sight more frequently. I recognized half of the posters on there. Julie Jordan is Harry Holton's daughter. Harry ran "West Coast Hemis" for decades. Also saw Bob Lambeck mentioned. I used to chat with him at the old Irwindale Raceway when he was part of Dick Landy's factory backed Mopar team. I posted a bunch of stuff about Bob on the NHRA historical thread.

The discussion mentioned that not only did he set the A/SA record but also won the event (it was a "National Open") in Stock.

Before he started to race that '62 Plym, Steve Wann raced this 440" Plymouth in B/SA and C/SA. It also held NHRA natl records on & off in those classes.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Classic car

·
Read Only
172 Posts
Thanks for all the information. It is very cool to see the Max Wedge is still a beast after all these years.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information. It is very cool to see the Max Wedge is still a beast after all these years.
Yes, but it's usually the '63 or '64 model years that make the news. Remember, the '62's were rated @ 10HP less from the factory. They would be able to run a little lighter for that but, IIRC, the 62's were about 100# less off the assembly lines than the later years were. I always liked the '62's - they sure weren't beauty queens but I remember them popping up everywhere in drag contests on the strips and on the streets in the summer of '62 when, before that, you could go for weeks without seeing any Mopars even trying to compete.

·
Read Only
172 Posts
I never thought of that. If I recall the 62 was a 413 and the 426 came in 63. So is this a 413 car?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never thought of that. If I recall the 62 was a 413 and the 426 came in 63. So is this a 413 car?
Yes, it is. Look closely on the side. It says "Mr 413" or something like that. I posted some other photos of the car a while back on another thread. I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A better photo of the car which actually belongs to John Shaul, an East Coast racer. I believe that Steve Wann did build the motor for it - he does know his Mopar wedges and is one of the top builders of them in the country.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The NHRA natl record sheet is now confirming that Steve Wann's record was indeed set by his '62 Max-wedge Plymouth. I'll post the photo(s) from the corresponding issue of "National Dragster" when I get it - probably in about 3 weeks. Coincidentally, another natl record was set by a Mopar driver at the same event - Rick Kolber set the record in F/SA in a '72 Dodge @ 10.78, 122.6mph.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Writeup of the race from "National Dragster". Too bad the photo isn't a bit larger and the headline a little smaller............Chad Loge's nice looking Plym GTX was runner-up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Pickup truck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes Steve Wann holds A/SA RECORD, you do not have 60 class wallys in your shop, for no reason, My cousin gets out what he puts in, total devotion , mr. 413 motor sounds like wild animal, says he is concentrating on consistency , not setting records, as we know races are one at the line and consistency , DAD RAN STEVES FIRST MOPAR GOR YEARS( 1970 road runner c/sa, 400/six pack, for years had plenty of power, getting it to hook up was issues, finally added weight, dropped to D/SA, won golden gate nationals at Fremont raceway for his Wally, Uncle Don, Steve’s dad has a Wally or two also, STEVIE HAS TAKEN IT TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL, very proud, GO MOPAR!!!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Steve Wann holds A/SA RECORD, you do not have 60 class wallys in your shop, for no reason, My cousin gets out what he puts in, total devotion , mr. 413 motor sounds like wild animal, says he is concentrating on consistency , not setting records, as we know races are one at the line and consistency , DAD RAN STEVES FIRST MOPAR GOR YEARS( 1970 road runner c/sa, 400/six pack, for years had plenty of power, getting it to hook up was issues, finally added weight, dropped to D/SA, won golden gate nationals at Fremont raceway for his Wally, Uncle Don, Steve’s dad has a Wally or two also, STEVIE HAS TAKEN IT TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL, very proud, GO MOPAR!!!
Welcome to Allpar.

I used to hang out (and did a little racing) at Fremont & Half Moon Bay dragstrips back in the 60's and remember seeing your uncle Don's '65 Hemi-Coronet during the championship meets. A few years later, after I moved to SoCal, I would see his car at Irwindale, OCR, and Pomona and then your cousin Steve's cars after that. I may have already posted a photo of Steve's car(s) on the NHRA thread in the Historical Motorsports section but I know I didn't have any of your uncle's car to post there. If you have any photos/articles of either, that would be a great place to post them so that I and the other Mopar motorsports fans can enjoy them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.

I used to hang out (and did a little racing) at Fremont & Half Moon Bay dragstrips back in the 60's and remember seeing your uncle Don's '65 Hemi-Coronet during the championship meets. A few years later, after I moved to SoCal, I would see his car at Irwindale, OCR, and Pomona and then your cousin Steve's cars after that. I may have already posted a photo of Steve's car(s) on the NHRA thread in the Historical Motorsports section but I know I didn't have any of your uncle's car to post there. If you have any photos/articles of either, that would be a great place to post them so that I and the other Mopar motorsports fans can enjoy them.
Yeah, I do have pictures, still got dads photos of his win in national dragster magazine, and pictures of uncle donnies coronet , and RETTIG BROTHERS brothers SS/BA DART, last race I WENT TO WITH UNCLE DONNIE WAS IRWANDALE, remember how smoggy it was😂😂, had a go cart track across the street, Steve and I wore it out, Will see what I can do about pictures of all cars, in a nursing home now, medical bad luck, best times of my life was going to Fremont, or Sacramento raceway, with dad , uncle Donnie, and Steve, REMEMBER THOSE NITRO ALTERDS , PURE HELL, AND PURE HEAVEN, so much fun, Stock/super stock cars are best to watch, today’s suspention technology, WOW, did not see f/stock cars pulling wheels off the ground back in the day, Steve’s 413 AKA MR. 413 sounds like a wild animal, he loves someone putting up 1000$ to tear motor down making sure He is legal, he gets everything approved by NHRA FIRST, He is so intelligent , he builds motors for Panella racing, so he has access to dyno, etc., etc, great relationship with them, GO MOPAR POWER!!!

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I do have pictures, still got dads photos of his win in national dragster magazine, and pictures of uncle donnies coronet , and RETTIG BROTHERS brothers SS/BA DART, last race I WENT TO WITH UNCLE DONNIE WAS IRWANDALE, remember how smoggy it was😂😂, had a go cart track across the street, Steve and I wore it out, Will see what I can do about pictures of all cars, in a nursing home now, medical bad luck, best times of my life was going to Fremont, or Sacramento raceway, with dad , uncle Donnie, and Steve, REMEMBER THOSE NITRO ALTERDS , PURE HELL, AND PURE HEAVEN, so much fun, Stock/super stock cars are best to watch, today’s suspention technology, WOW, did not see f/stock cars pulling wheels off the ground back in the day, Steve’s 413 AKA MR. 413 sounds like a wild animal, he loves someone putting up 1000$ to tear motor down making sure He is legal, he gets everything approved by NHRA FIRST, He is so intelligent , he builds motors for Panella racing, so he has access to dyno, etc., etc, great relationship with them, GO MOPAR POWER!!!
Well, get well soon and then get those pictures of your family's Mopars posted on the NHRA historical thread. As you can see, you have lots of fans already waiting. Although I've mostly posted Mopar stockers on that thread, a Hemi powered altered or gasser is suitable too ;).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts