Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will say that being 25 years old that there are a few tv/movies that changed my perception of vehicles and what i wanted since I was 8 years old...I just got reminded of one of the movies tonight. My father was a ford truck owner and I changed my first motor when I was 9 years old on a 78 E150 practically by myself...during that time he borrowed a 1980 Powerwagon 150 w/318...that 215,000 miles later is still on its first motor, after being rolled twice, still runs while the e150 had 3 motors...

Anyway my point here is that as much as chryslers new marketing scheme is 10 folds better than under diamlers control there is one major difference between now and 1994-99. As a kid I loved watching reruns of Duke of hazzard, which at the time was all reruns for me, but what really helped me turn to dodge at a young age was Walker, Texas Ranger; and the movie "The Twister", and the fast and furious series.

What chrysler needs to do is get their newer vehicles in movies and tv shows that will use them in a BA way...Yes I know we have NCIS with the Charger/challenger. But we need a show that includes the vehicle as more of a center piece of a show to help market...

I would like to say that if GM never got primary rights to the transformers movie that the new camaro probably wouldn't be where its at right now and thats is where chrysler needs to start pushing again because as a 25 year old I can legitimately say I was turned to mopar by TV/movies

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
Well Fast Five was good product placement. I'm sure Chrysler LLC is working on getting more. I get your point it is not like Chrysler is over satuarated in film/TV.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I liked the Challenger convs. used in the old/orig. Mod Squad series. I remember a '72 Challenger being used even though no production convs. were made in '72.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
...Anyway my point here is that as much as chryslers new marketing scheme is 10 folds better than under diamlers control there is one major difference between now and 1994-99. As a kid I loved watching reruns of Duke of hazzard, which at the time was all reruns for me, but what really helped me turn to dodge at a young age was Walker, Texas Ranger; and the movie "The Twister", and the fast and furious series.
I'm a lot older than you, (saw them first run!) but I too enjoyed those Walker Episodes and 'Twister' (they killed both a Gladiator and a brand new Ram).
When I was your age, the iconic movie Mopar's were of course 'Vanishing Point' and earlier, the Charger in the role of bad guy, in the "Bullet" chase scene.
There was a short lived series, called 'Viper', but it wasn't very good and lightning strike very seldom to make a hit car series, 'Nash Bridges', 'Route 66', 'Night-rider' and 'Dukes of Hazard' being some of the notable exceptions.
I see a lot of Mopar product placement in 'Persons of Interest', albeit the 300 is the most common car for bad guys and bangers, there are more and more cops showing up in Chargers.
Maybe they can work on an exclusive contract with NCIS to show more Mopar's being driven by the good guys. ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was thinking of Burn Notice 1st season when Same drives a neon around. Then just watched a few recent movies such as "In Time" with the Challengers and "drive" the bad guy has a 300 in one of the chase scenes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm a lot older than you, (saw them first run!) but I too enjoyed those Walker Episodes and 'Twister' (they killed both a Gladiator and a brand new Ram).
When I was your age, the iconic movie Mopar's were of course 'Vanishing Point' and earlier, the Charger in the role of bad guy, in the "Bullet" chase scene.
There was a short lived series, called 'Viper', but it wasn't very good and lightning strike very seldom to make a hit car series, 'Nash Bridges', 'Route 66', 'Night-rider' and 'Dukes of Hazard' being some of the notable exceptions.
I see a lot of Mopar product placement in 'Persons of Interest', albeit the 300 is the most common car for bad guys and bangers, there are more and more cops showing up in Chargers.
Maybe they can work on an exclusive contract with NCIS to show more Mopar's being driven by the good guys. ;)

Dedicated NCIS Junkie....with the exception of Abby's '32 Ford and DiNozzo's Mustang (now destroyed), pretty much all the cars on there are MOPAR. The official NCIS Car is always a Charger, and Gibb's personal car (though rarely seen) is a 1970 Challenger.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I was just a little kid when Twister came out, and, aside from the fact that it was basically a 90-minute ad for the 2nd-gen Dodge Ram, one of my earlier memories is sitting at a friend's house, watching the scene where that little yellow-and-blue J10 goes thundering down that ditch. I distinctly remember being far more disappointed watching it get wrecked then that Ram-although the movie, along with Walker: Texas Ranger, definitely made me a Mopar person growing up (Even though all the Mopars my family ever owned were total heaps)

I was thinking of Burn Notice 1st season when Same drives a neon around. Then just watched a few recent movies such as "In Time" with the Challengers and "drive" the bad guy has a 300 in one of the chase scenes.
I wish Chrysler would get a car on Burn Notice. They've already got Micheal's awesome Charger, but every episode briefly turned into an ad for whatever car they had on at the time (First, a Cadillac CTS, then a Saab 9000 convertible, now it's a Hyundai Genesis coupe). Pay them to blow up the Hyundai in a season finale and replace it with a Charger SRT-8.

A few years back, CTV tried to get a cop drama going with the guy who played Cheif Tyrol from the new BSG. While the series was pretty crap overall, and was cancelled pretty quick, he was awesome and, more importantly, drove a gunmetal Challenger R/T in most of the episodes.

I think a lot of companies underestimate the value of car placement, even if its subtle, in movies and TV. GM's got it right-IIRC, the best-selling colour on the new Camaro is the Bumblebee yellow, by a significant margin. The Fast and the Furious movies made rice rockets the best thing around for a few years (Yeah, I know, it's pretty lame as a trend, but it sells cars).

I think someone should pick up on the zombie trend, make a post-apocalyptic movie that's half Walking Dead and half Mad Max II and get Jeeps and Rams everywhere. I'd say that, along with the cars your parents own, the cars you see on TV are some of the biggest influences on a future consumer-it might not pay off today, but it gets kids, growing up in an auto environment dominated by interchangeable jellybean CUVs and midsize sedans, into one brand or another.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'm older than a lot of you. The Brady Bunch used mostly Chrysler products - 2 different Plymouth Satellite wagons; a Barracuda or Challenger convertible for the dad. Later he had an Impala or Caprice convertible.

Beverly Hillbillies used Chrysler products for Mr. Drysdale's (the banker) cars.

Of course, the Green Hornet drove a 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial.

Adam-12 used 66 Plymouth Belvederes, then Belvederes from about 68 or 69, then finally AMC Matadors.

Lots more if we do a little research or think back a bit.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Charlie Sheen in The WRATH..... more Mopars than you could shake a stick at.

And of cours Chistine not only herself but the buddies lovely Charger

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm older than a lot of you. The Brady Bunch used mostly Chrysler products - 2 different Plymouth Satellite wagons; a Barracuda or Challenger convertible for the dad. Later he had an Impala or Caprice convertible.

Beverly Hillbillies used Chrysler products for Mr. Drysdale's (the banker) cars.

Of course, the Green Hornet drove a 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial.

Adam-12 used 66 Plymouth Belvederes, then Belvederes from about 68 or 69, then finally AMC Matadors.

Lots more if we do a little research or think back a bit.
OK, Simon and Simon's Power Wagon. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
When the new Miami Vice movie came out I was glad to see Sonny driving a black 06 Charger. Going way back I remember being a kid and seeing the Challenger in "Vanishing Point", Charger in "DMCL" and of course new episodes of "The Dukes." When thay finally remake "Vanishing Point" there will be a Challenger explosion in the U.S. People are heavily influenced by media with the exception of those of us who are just drawn to MOPAR. Good comments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was just a little kid when Twister came out, and, aside from the fact that it was basically a 90-minute ad for the 2nd-gen Dodge Ram, one of my earlier memories is sitting at a friend's house, watching the scene where that little yellow-and-blue J10 goes thundering down that ditch. I distinctly remember being far more disappointed watching it get wrecked then that Ram-although the movie, along with Walker: Texas Ranger, definitely made me a Mopar person growing up (Even though all the Mopars my family ever owned were total heaps)

I wish Chrysler would get a car on Burn Notice. They've already got Micheal's awesome Charger, but every episode briefly turned into an ad for whatever car they had on at the time (First, a Cadillac CTS, then a Saab 9000 convertible, now it's a Hyundai Genesis coupe). Pay them to blow up the Hyundai in a season finale and replace it with a Charger SRT-8.

A few years back, CTV tried to get a cop drama going with the guy who played Cheif Tyrol from the new BSG. While the series was pretty crap overall, and was cancelled pretty quick, he was awesome and, more importantly, drove a gunmetal Challenger R/T in most of the episodes.

I think a lot of companies underestimate the value of car placement, even if its subtle, in movies and TV. GM's got it right-IIRC, the best-selling colour on the new Camaro is the Bumblebee yellow, by a significant margin. The Fast and the Furious movies made rice rockets the best thing around for a few years (Yeah, I know, it's pretty lame as a trend, but it sells cars).

I think someone should pick up on the zombie trend, make a post-apocalyptic movie that's half Walking Dead and half Mad Max II and get Jeeps and Rams everywhere. I'd say that, along with the cars your parents own, the cars you see on TV are some of the biggest influences on a future consumer-it might not pay off today, but it gets kids, growing up in an auto environment dominated by interchangeable jellybean CUVs and midsize sedans, into one brand or another.

I think the tv show was called "The Bridge"?? i may be wrong

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I think it's funny that The Glades is sponsored by Hyundai (and every now and then they work in a little Hyundai ad into the show), but the car most prominently featured is the Dodge Charger police car. it even got upgraded to the new style when the 2011 Charger came out.

Ans Miss Jane also had a new Chrysler product convertible as well, obviously just a Dodge or a Plymouth.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I fell in love with "Emergency" primarily because Squad 51 was a brand new 1972 D-300. It was fun to watch that truck work in all those emergency situations. Mannix also drove a Challenger. I quit watching "Adam 12" when the Matadors showed up....

Of course M*A*S*H used the Power Wagon ambulance about every week along side the original Jeep.

I lived in northern Oklahoma during the filming of "Twister" and the staging site for the movie was on my way to work. I looked at the Ram and the caravan of Caravans for about a month before they moved on to a different location (Iowa) to finish the movie.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Was just watching "Beverly Hills Cop" last night and noticed there were some K cars in some scenes. The 2nd set of detectives assigned to follow Foley (Eddie Murphy) were in a light blue 2 door K-car at one point. The original detectives had been in a Ford Fairmont.

Of course, Foley was driving that POS Nova for the entire movie........Ugh!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
One of the draws of cars on TV shows is that they're typically "real" tangible vehicles unlike those in "professional" racing venues in which brand identity has dwindled over the last few decades.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just wondering if they remade Bullitt, would a new Mustang need as much modification to keep up with the new Charger as the 1968 needed? B)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts